Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/13/2011 3:24:08 PM EDT
Destryoyed by Tsunami

A U.S.-led research team may have finally located the lost city of Atlantis, the legendary metropolis believed swamped by a tsunami thousands of years ago in mud flats in southern Spain.

"This is the power of tsunamis," head researcher Richard Freund told Reuters.

"It is just so hard to understand that it can wipe out 60 miles inland, and that's pretty much what we're talking about," said Freund, a University of Hartford, Connecticut, professor who lead an international team searching for the true site of Atlantis.

To solve the age-old mystery, the team used a satellite photo of a suspected submerged city to find the site just north of Cadiz, Spain. There, buried in the vast marshlands of the Dona Ana Park, they believe that they pinpointed the ancient, multi-ringed dominion known as Atlantis.

The team of archeologists and geologists in 2009 and 2010 used a combination of deep-ground radar, digital mapping, and underwater technology to survey the site.

Greek philosopher Plato wrote about Atlantis some 2,600 years ago, describing it as "an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Hercules," as the Straits of Gibraltar were known in antiquity.

^ Cadiz....right where Plato said it was....

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy Shit this is a big deal!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if they find any alien remains there?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
This is like what, the 87th time they've found it?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Donovan knew all about this years ago!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I would love to see it happen
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]
There's a secondary location in the atlantic that's quite probable, looking at the satellite photos looks pretty scary.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There is a show on NatGeo tonight about this.

Added to the DVR, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There's a secondary location in the atlantic that's quite probable, looking at the satellite photos looks pretty scary.

link?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe it's the Ark.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

link?

Ditto.

Still think Atlantis was a Platonic Allegory...NOT history.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I call dibs on all the cool stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Destryoyed by Tsunami

A U.S.-led research team may have finally located the lost city of Atlantis, the legendary metropolis believed swamped by a tsunami thousands of years ago in mud flats in southern Spain.

"This is the power of tsunamis," head researcher Richard Freund told Reuters.

"It is just so hard to understand that it can wipe out 60 miles inland, and that's pretty much what we're talking about," said Freund, a University of Hartford, Connecticut, professor who lead an international team searching for the true site of Atlantis.

For anyone who has been watching the footage of the tsunami in Japan... its not so hard to understand now, if it was before...

BUT, I am not buying that they have found Atlantis just yet.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#14]

anyone have coordinates for google earth?

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I've always been a fan of the myth!

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

36.954556, -6.315079

+36° 57' 16.40", -6° 18' 54.28"
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's what so crazy about people "searching for Atlantis". AFAIK, there is no historical mention implying the existence of such a place. Only mention in Platonic dialogues - which were using it allegorically. It would seem that in the ancient/classical world, nobody ever even though of "looking for Atlantis", because they realized that it was a made-up place used symbolically, not something physically real.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Sweet
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

36.954556, -6.315079

+36° 57' 16.40", -6° 18' 54.28"

thanks

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Wasn't there some prophecy somewhere that said Atlantis would be discovered right before the "end times"?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wasn't there some prophecy somewhere that said Atlantis would be discovered right before the "end times"?

no.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#24]
This is ten books above a cool story bro...Thanks for sharing the info!
I've been to Pau, France (numerous times), and took a couple of dips into Spain....all work related. I really need to go back and dabble more...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what so crazy about people "searching for Atlantis". AFAIK, there is no historical mention implying the existence of such a place. Only mention in Platonic dialogues - which were using it allegorically. It would seem that in the ancient/classical world, nobody ever even though of "looking for Atlantis", because they realized that it was a made-up place used symbolically, not something physically real.

His students realized and even WROTE of this.

By the way, and EXCELLENT read on the subjects is LOST CONTINENTS: The Atlantis Theme in History, Science and Literature

by L. Sprague de Camp.  He REALLY dissects the ENTIRE Atlantis mythos better than anyone I have ever read.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, it is beyond the 'Pillars of Hercules' as it has been described in early recorded history.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow. That's a huge discovery if they have found it. IT would have to be one of the most important in mankind. In regards to historical discoveries.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Well, it is beyond the 'Pillars of Hercules' as it has been described in early recorded history.

BUT by the above description, the location is ( or WAS ) SIXTY MILES INLAND.  

Either Atlantis was an island or it wasn't.

Since Plato is the sole source of information and HE said it was an island.....then it couldn't be Atlantis.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hopefully it has a stargate and I can finally get the hell off this rock.

They only allow 5.7x28 through the stargate, you're SOL... sorry.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hopefully it has a stargate and I can finally get the hell off this rock.

They only allow 5.7x28 through the stargate, you're SOL... sorry.

Negative Ghostrider, 5.56 is used off world as well.

Keep up with the briefings.

My bad...he was at KP and I was s'posed to pass the brief on to him.

Sorry about that!!!!  

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no.

edgar cacey if you believe such things.

He's made some pretty accurate predictions, HOWEVER, he has missed on a number of things as well.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since Plato is the sole source of information and HE said it was an island.....then it couldn't be Atlantis.

Isn't there a chance that an island from a few thousand years ago is now 60mi inland?

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I think it was Edgar Cayce's (SP?) prophecy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no.

edgar cacey if you believe such things.

He's made some pretty accurate predictions, HOWEVER, he has missed on a number of things as well.

Just did a google search on him....yea, some of his stuff is way out there....I found this disturbing though.

Cayce also predicted the possibility of a third world war. He spoke of strifes arising near the Davis Straits, and in Libya, and in Egypt, in Ankara, and in Syria; through the straits around those areas above Australia, in the Indian Ocean and the Persian Gulf."

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#38]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVCAca2r1LM

Cayce was sort of right.

This clip is very informative.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no.

lol
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would love to see it happen

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Who cares about Atlantis?  Any extensive pre-Roman site on the Iberian peninsula is an awesome find.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Indy found it years ago...

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't there a chance that an island from a few thousand years ago is now 60mi inland?

Sure. Look at the geography of the area. Its a low-lying swampy area now; could have been a shallow sea in antiquity.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#44]
No matter your feelings on Cayce or any of the other myths about atlantis, its still pretty damn cool finding lost civilizations
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If that was the case, then this article should have been chock full of evidence stating that. And I'm pretty sure it was worth mentioning, considering their claims are completely bogus otherwise.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If that was the case, then this article should have been chock full of evidence stating that. And I'm pretty sure it was worth mentioning, considering their claims are completely bogus otherwise.

Well, the TV special is on tonight. Watch and judge for yourself.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Parts of Venice were "islands" in the middle of a swamp.  Today much of the swamp is gone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#49]
But Scify said it was in another planet???

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I've heard that the area in Spain was coastal well up to the areas well inland up near Seville (Sevilla) from the time of Columbus but erosion has pushed the shoreline west, so it may be possible for a  tsunami to have greater effect and may be a large piece of this guy's hypothesis.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top