User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 99
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Nikkei down 15% and still dropping.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, damn. The GD 'tards have arrived to smear shit, piss, ignorance and wholesale fuck all over what HAD been an informative thread.

Awesome.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
If you're downwind from this thing, GTFO right now. It's fo time.

We cannot predict what fallout may become at this point. Now is the time to GTFO from anywhere downwind to be safe. I'm talking clean to Tokyo.

TR85.

This thing aint leaking like Chernobyl is it?

Looks like it...

To quote the times:
If all workers do in fact leave the plant, the nuclear fuel in all three reactors is likely to meltdown, which would lead to wholesale releases of radioactive material — by far the largest accident of its kind since the Chernobyl disaster 25 years ago....“It’s way past Three Mile Island already,” said Frank von Hippel, a physicist and professor at Princeton. “The biggest risk now is that the core really melts down and you have a steam explosion.” ...Adding to the complexity of the situation was that reactor No. 3 reactor uses a special mix of nuclear fuel known as MOX fuel. MOX is considered contentious because it is made with reprocessed plutonium and uranium oxides. Any radioactive plume from that fuel would be more dangerous than ordinary nuclear fuel, experts say, because inhaling plutonium even in very small quantities is considered lethal.  

Seriously, dude:

Its been a LONG TIME since a quote of the New York Times was any sort of appeal to special authority.

The information in this thread has been more timely and accurate generally.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Breaking News

At damaged Fukushima plant, 50 workers remain behind to pump seawater into reactors - nytimes http://nyti.ms/ecVU4i

1 minute ago

Favorite
                 Retweet

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Sheesh, the usual panic birds are always on at this time for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, damn. The GD 'tards have arrived to smear shit, piss, ignorance and wholesale fuck all over what HAD been an informative thread.

Awesome.

For those of you just joining us, and posting in this thread after getting your information from MSM coverage of this event (including Fox News), do yourselves a favor and back-track through this thread instead. Otherwise you're only making yourselves dumber.

ETA: A safe bet is to scan for posts from mongo100 who happens to be a technician at the Mich. based Fermi 2 Nuclear plant, which shares a very similar design to the reactors in Japan being discussed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Damn...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Awesome.

Can we take up a collection to buy Mongo out of his job for a week or so?  Then feed him meth and Red Bull to take care of that whole sleep issue.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, a very sad and tragic situation is occuring to our allies and friends in  Japan this is hardly a issue that anyone in this country should be in a panic over.  Damn people. Kill your t.v. and stop paying attention the the MSM/Fear Machine.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Like I was saying 20 or so pages back it would be very easy for the Japanese to lose control and it seems they are...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
 Breaking News      

At damaged Fukushima plant, 50 workers remain behind to pump seawater into reactors - nytimes http://nyti.ms/ecVU4i

1 minute ago                  Favorite                  Retweet      Reply        

Brave men.   I do not think it will end well for them though.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOW...the Japanese press is giving them hell.  If the suppression pool has holes or cracks you cannot fill them.  NHK just cut away.

Jesus this is bad on so many levels and in so many ways.  

I remember watching video of Russian pilots dumping crap onto Chernyobl, then parking and dying of miserable cancers a few years later.  Hopefully we'll have some robotic options if it comes to that.
None of the Russian pilots dumping crap onto Chernobyl died as a result of Chernobyl, at least none that can be documented.

These guys would disagree if they weren't dead...

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome.

Can we take up a collection to buy Mongo out of his job for a week or so?  Then feed him meth and Red Bull to take care of that whole sleep issue.    

L_JE has also had very good input, along with TexasRifleman.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#14]
After this is over and they finally get back to rebuilding. It would be a good idea to SERIOUSLY invest in their reconstruction. They'll bounce back and our funds will help them alot and return on investment will be huge

Sort of like the Marshal plan.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Like I was saying 20 or so pages back it would be very easy for the Japanese to lose control and it seems they are...

It sounds like they need to look at taking drastic steps to stop this from going SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#16]
The problem is that the release of radioactively contaminated material is no longer predictable. We have spent fuel that is likely uncontained, dry and very unhappy... We have one reactor that may have an outright containment breach... Contamination levels jumped an order of magnitude scary fast... We really don't have a good idea what will happen next at this point. I, personally, would bug the fuck out if within a few hundred miles downwind. 95% chance it's unneccesay. But the other 5% isn't worth the risk.

TR85.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I logged back in hoping for better news. Sounds like the situation is going downhill.

Prayers sent for those affected and a huge THANKS to arfcom for providing the best updates.

ps Mongo needs rest.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#18]

• NEWS ADVISORY: Radiation amount in Chiba Pref. twice to 4 times normal level (13:14)

• NEWS ADVISORY: Radiation 33 times normal level measured in Utsunomiya, Tochigi (13:12)

Chiba Pref is a peninsula on the eastern side of Tokyo Bay.

Utsunomiya is in a prefecture that is halfway b/n Fukushime PREFECTURE and Tokyo.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome.

L_JE has also had very good input, along with TexasRifleman.

Didn't mean to discount their contributions at all.  However, over the years of posting here I have learned that TexasRifleman has very little need for sleep or sunshine.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

• NEWS ADVISORY: Radiation amount in Chiba Pref. twice to 4 times normal level (13:14)

• NEWS ADVISORY: Radiation 33 times normal level measured in Utsunomiya, Tochigi (13:12)

Chiba Pref is a peninsula on the eastern side of Tokyo Bay.

Utsunomiya is in a prefecture that is halfway b/n Fukushime PREFECTURE and Tokyo.

yikes.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A prolonged station blackout during a refueling outage with very reactive fuel in the SFP is just about the only way you can cause a SFP fire.  But, you'd have to have these conditions persist for about a week, or more....

And, we're coming up on 4 or 5 days, right?  Fuuuuu

If you find the EMP/SFP-fire thread over in the SF forum (back in December), I believe you'll find my posts where I declared this scenario all but impossible, and that there's nothing to worry about.  But you know, I never thought I'd watch two reactors explode, either...
...screw it all, they might as well just send in Godzilla at this point.

The steam guide shrouds around the BWR assemblies may inhibit natural convetion cooling, compared to the more open PWR assemblies.

I need to take a moment to clear my head...

I agree.  The SFPs normally do not require much attention.  The SF is normally cooled down thermally in the reactor before transfer to the point that it does not flash steam during transfer.  The SFP pool water normally is at atm pressure and does not require much heat exchange action even though the SF may still be thermally hot.  The SF bundles in the SFP are in spacer racks to assure no further reaction from reflection, absorption, or fast/thermal mutual interaction.   The SFP water needs to cover the top a few feet to provide radiation (gamma and neutron) shielding for the workers and equipment.  The pool water is sampled regularly during SF storage to look for any strange behavior between the fuel and the water (damaged or leaking pellets or pins).  I cannot image a scenario where the SF in the pool reheats to the point of the water / zircoloy / hydrogen reaction.   Surely after #3 exploded, someone went to check on the condition of #4 penthouse and SFP.  They would have seen shrapnel damage if it occured in the penthouse from #3 debris (holes in roof or walls, damaged crane, etc.)
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Awesome.

As sad as the subject of your post is, I still laughed pretty hard at the delivery.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone think that the U.S. and Russia have had satellites pointing straight down in that building and know exactly how bad the damage really is?

If they have, why haven't they said anything?  I would also think that our Air Force or Navy have had sniffer planes downwind from the plan.

I don't know shit about this sort of thing, asking out of curiosity.

I'd love to see those pics, if they exist.

Day late, not sure if this has been posted or not...
From http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalglobe-imagery/5526481182/ (in case it doesn't show up, or you want to see different angles)

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Dropping faster than a drunken coeds panties....my aching 401k/IRA.....

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A prolonged station blackout during a refueling outage with very reactive fuel in the SFP is just about the only way you can cause a SFP fire.  But, you'd have to have these conditions persist for about a week, or more....

If you find the EMP/SFP-fire thread over in the SF forum (back in December), I believe you'll find my posts where I declared this scenario all but impossible, and that there's nothing to worry about.  But you know, I never thought I'd watch two reactors explode, either...

The steam guide shrouds around the BWR assemblies may inhibit natural convetion cooling, compared to the more open PWR assemblies.

I agree.  The SFPs normally do not require much attention.  The SF is normally cooled down thermally in the reactor before transfer to the point that it does not flash steam during transfer.  The SFP pool water normally is at atm pressure and does not require much heat exchange action even though the SF may still be thermally hot.  The SF bundles in the SFP are in spacer racks to assure no further reaction from reflection, absorption, or fast/thermal mutual interaction.   The SFP water needs to cover the top a few feet to provide radiation (gamma and neutron) shielding for the workers and equipment.  The pool water is sampled regularly during SF storage to look for any strange behavior between the fuel and the water (damaged or leaking pellets or pins).  I cannot image a scenario where the SF in the pool reheats to the point of the water / zircoloy / hydrogen reaction.   Surely after #3 exploded, someone went to check on the condition of #4 penthouse and SFP.  They would have seen shrapnel damage if it occured in the penthouse from #3 debris (holes in roof or walls, damaged crane, etc.)

What was the source on the report that the fire at #4 was out? NHK is still reporting like it's still burning.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone think that the U.S. and Russia have had satellites pointing straight down in that building and know exactly how bad the damage really is?

If they have, why haven't they said anything?  I would also think that our Air Force or Navy have had sniffer planes downwind from the plan.

From http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalglobe-imagery/5526481182/ (in case it doesn't show up, or you want to see different angles)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5053/5526481182_8aa62eaf02_b.jpg

Yeah we got it earlier today... some decent photo analysis around 12 to 1pm today in this thread... so maybe 10 pages back?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was the source on the report that the fire at #4 was out? NHK is still reporting like it's still burning.

the source i seen was AP

Breaking News

Fire in No. 4 reactor at stricken nuclear plant is extinguished, Japan's nuclear safety agency says - AP

1 hour ago

Favorite
                 Retweet

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kyodo News was reporting it was out short while ago.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Did they say exactly what was on fire? Just curious.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

One of the JP.gov guys said it was the building.

IE, not the reactor or spent fuel rods.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Awesome.

And thankfully you're here to point that out.  You're a Godsend.... (in your own mind..)

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been REALLY surprised how the Japanese swallowed their pride and asked for nuclear experts from the US to assist them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It would seem that my wife and I won't be going to Japan in May after all....

What a mess. Man, I feel for them. They've got to be freaking out. Horrible.

Hopefully your tickets are fully refundable...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the JP.gov guys said it was the building.

IE, not the reactor or spent fuel rods.

Yeah, but of course that won't stop SOME here from predicting the worst.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
If you're downwind from this thing, GTFO right now. It's fo time.

We cannot predict what fallout may become at this point. Now is the time to GTFO from anywhere downwind to be safe. I'm talking clean to Tokyo.

TR85.

This thing aint leaking like Chernobyl is it?

Looks like it...

To quote the times:
If all workers do in fact leave the plant, the nuclear fuel in all three reactors is likely to meltdown, which would lead to wholesale releases of radioactive material — by far the largest accident of its kind since the Chernobyl disaster 25 years ago....“It’s way past Three Mile Island already,” said Frank von Hippel, a physicist and professor at Princeton. “The biggest risk now is that the core really melts down and you have a steam explosion.” ...Adding to the complexity of the situation was that reactor No. 3 reactor uses a special mix of nuclear fuel known as MOX fuel. MOX is considered contentious because it is made with reprocessed plutonium and uranium oxides. Any radioactive plume from that fuel would be more dangerous than ordinary nuclear fuel, experts say, because inhaling plutonium even in very small quantities is considered lethal.  

Please see my posting on MOX fuel earlier this evening.  It might not be give you a warm and fuzzy, but it certainly sheds some light on this "contentious" use of plutonium.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5053/5526481182_8aa62eaf02_b.jpg

I believe it has been posted,[ETA] but rotated 180 degrees and zoomed up to get a close look at #1 and #3 remains.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#37]
0723: The US Seventh Fleet has moved its ships and aircraft away from the stricken Fukushima plant after discovering low-level radioactive contamination, Reuters reports. The aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan was some 160km offshore when its instruments detected the radiation in a plume of smoke and steam released from the crippled plant. But officials said the dose of radiation was about the same as one month's normal exposure to natural background radiation in the environment.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shep Smith just said the wind is from the NE, so the wind will take the radiation out to sea.

What an idiot

I gave up on watching Foxnews on this. They have gone full retard.

Here is a site to get some better info from.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/

Another jackwad Shepherd Smith was talking to earlier said that they believe the explosion heard at the #2 reactor may have triggered the tsunami warning (which followed shortly thereafter). I turned it off at that point...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#39]

KYODO News is saying 30km No Fly Zone in effect for the area around the plant.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Chernobyl has a 30km exclusion zone after the fact, that would leave a large part of Japan uninhabitable if this is the case with the current situation.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#41]

TOKYO, March 12, Kyodo

The amount of radiation reached around 1,000 times the normal level Saturday in the control room of the No. 1 reactor of the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said.

The discovery suggests radioactive steam could spread around the facility operated by Tokyo Electric Power Co.

==Kyodo

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Chernobyl has a 30km exclusion zone after the fact, that would leave a large part of Japan uninhabitable if this is the case with the current situation.

Remember half of it is over water, though...not as terrible an effect on the population.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#43]

TOKYO, March 15, Kyodo

The Bank of Japan on Tuesday afternoon injected another 3 trillion yen into money markets, bringing the total provided during the day to 8 trillion yen.

The central bank continued its emergency operation for a second day in order to help commercial banks and other financial institutions in quake-hit areas raise necessary funds.

==Kyodo

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#44]
This might sound stupid but I really dont know much about this nuke stuff, but could setting off a smaller style weaponized nuke where the plant is be a viable solution to getting the rods...

Nevermind.

I was just thinking about how people use explosions/explosives to stop fires...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Jesus just shut it down already. 100 million dollars in less than a day...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Jesus just shut it down already. 100 million dollars in less than a day...

This!!!!!    Suspend trading for a week.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

This might sound stupid but I really dont know much about this nuke stuff, but could setting off a smaller style weaponized nuke where the plant is be a viable solution to getting the rods...

Nevermind.

It's a heat problem.  That's the big downside to nuke plants is that they are so super hot it takes months to cool them down.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Nevermind.

I think it's a good thing that you probably don't have access to launch keys.  

The solution to polution is dillution.
If you can find something that ryhmes with massive radioactive dispersion...I think you got a jingle.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Bank of Japan is unloading billions of $$$$ into the markets, that was fast.

BOJ offers another 20 tril. yen to markets amid quake shock

TOKYO, March 15, Kyodo

The Bank of Japan on Tuesday offered 20 trillion yen ($245 billion) to money markets in order to ease the negative impact on the economy from the massive earthquake on Friday, as the central bank's emergency operation entered a second day.

The BOJ immediately injected 8 trillion yen into the markets, where financial institutions lend short-term money to each other, while saying it will provide the remaining 12 trillion yen against certain collateral on Wednesday and Thursday. It aims to help commercial banks and other institutions in quake-hit areas raise necessary funds.

The emergency fund-provision continued for a second day following the 21.8 trillion yen offered on Monday, which involved the immediate injection of 15 trillion yen –– the biggest amount for a one-day operation in the BOJ's history.

==Kyodo

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#50]
FYI

1 trillion Japanese yen = 12.23400 billion U.S. dollars
Page / 99
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top