Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/9/2011 3:16:47 PM EDT
This is what I kept asking myself as I clicked "add to cart", "proceed to checkout", and "place order" for my first (and hopefully only) sword purchase.  Now, the extent of my sword knowledge can be pretty well summed up in the immortal words of Alejandro Murietta: "the pointy end goes into the other man".  But I found that I just couldn't live another day without one (a sword, that is, not a man).  I have decided to blame this on my brother, who just picked up a Cheness Tenchi from the sword buyer's guide site store.  It came in a few days ago, and his enthusiasm has been infectious.  More like severely contagious, actually––where is the CDC when you need them?
Even though Japanese swords are truly things of beauty, I like the idea of a double edge, and I wanted to go with something a little different.  I had strongly considered European historical patterns, but I couldn't find one that matched what I really wanted––a sword that could be wielded primarily with one hand, and two-handed at need.  I also wanted a specific blade profile––something like an Oakeshott XI or XVIa rather than the severely tapered profile of something like a XVII (please correct me if I'm not using 'profile' correctly).  Finally, I wanted an OAL of about 40".  But I just couldn't find any pattern that met all three of these.  Arming swords seemed to be one-handed only, and bastard swords were too long (I'm only 5'10").
Then I found this:
http://www.swordnarmory.com/Forge-Folded-Handmade-Han-Wu-Chinese-Sword-Jian-Fu-p/hc-7005.htm
only 2.2#, but an 10" hilt for 2-handed use.  Exactly the blade profile I wanted, and an OAL of 42".  Under $250, which was my ceiling.  Good reviews for other Munetoshi products on SBG.  And, though this probably shouldn't have been a consideration...absolutely gorgeous.
So, yeah––it'll be here on Monday.
Did I make out OK?
UPDATE:

postman knocked this morning, so i got my "it's tape" moment 2 days early.  sorry––no video for posterity/infamy.

the specs are slightly different than the website specified, but that's not surprising with a handmade product.  i got a longer blade––31.5" instead of 30––and the weight is just under 2.5# instead of 2.2.  i suppose this might bother a purist, but at this moment, i don't know enough to be upset.  the one thing that does concern me is that the point of balance is about 5.5" forward of the guard as opposed to 3.25".  as i understand it, the whole point of a jian is speed and responsiveness, so this seems counterproductive.  it would probably aid in cutting, though.

the blade has a pure diamond cross section and unbeveled edges that came knife-sharp, not scalpel-sharp (cuts paper nicely, but i didn't throw a scarf in the air or anything).  there is a slight straight taper for ~2/3 the length of the blade, then a noticeable transition to a concave taper down to the point.  both edges and spines appear straight and true to the naked eye.  the marks from the folding are distinct, but subtle––not as showy as a lot of contemporary damascus blades, which makes sense since there is only 1 kind of steel involved.  no noticeable inclusions.  from a craftsmanship standpoint, the only blemish that i can see is that the guard isn't perfectly centered on the blade––it's offset maybe 1/8" laterally.  the scabbard is simple but well-constructed.   the fit is good, and the sword doesn't rattle in the scabbard at all.  it provides decent retention––i was able to completely invert it without the sword falling out.

i can't learn much about handling today, since i'm in an apartment and don't have a 'yard' that is technically my property (TX knife laws).  initial impressions are that the jian is much more robust than i had expected––it feels more like what i would have expected of a bo-hi katana, which makes sense given the weight/POB.  based upon the little i've picked up from my dad, who is a knifemaker, i'm pleased with the construction (but time will tell).  

i'm trying to find a school, but everything in denton seems to be japanese or korean-based, so it looks like i'll have to head down to dallas.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's tape

I forgot about that video! that guy is fuckin awesome! I think he jized in his pants.  OP, please post a "unvailing" vid when you get your sword.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#3]
the kind of guy who has more disposable income than he knows what to do with.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The answer to the title question is ...........after watching the video is .................

Those that should NOT breed.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not? Your life, your money. If you want a sword, go for it, you are on this earth only a short time, better make the most of it. I personally wouldn't mind a Phil Hartfield WakizahI sword,
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#6]
occasionally I get the gout . making it very painful to walk the dog .

I noticed the fun store near me sells canes .

SWORD CANE !!!

My son asked me why I would ever need something like that ??
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Tactical ninjas, that's who.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's tape

and is so freaking funny

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Didn't Evil_ATF just have a thread about a sword he bought?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]
A former Marine NCO?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#11]
im holding out for a light saber
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#12]
They don't run out of ammo and are VERY handy for removing zombie heads.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's tape

Oldy but goody.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's tape

Canadian nerds are the most inbred. It only takes 9 months to make inbred!
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a Hanwei practical katana off of CL for $100

Makes for a great Zombie Hand Dinner Pic

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#17]
The guys who enjoy outdated, obsolete weapons...

You know, like 1911's. :peek:

J/k
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#18]
i want one but i know i would fuck it up chopping shit up with it.

i'll stick with the humble machete
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Now all you need to do is learn how to use it properly.

Tagged for watermelon carnage videos.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#20]

very nice!  how is it that i never saw that dinner pic thread?

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The guys who enjoy outdated, obsolete weapons...

You know, like 1911's. :peek:

<=== 1911 shooter.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Now all you need to do is learn how to use it properly.

that's next on the agenda.

of course, it probably should have been first on the agenda, but...

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Didn't Evil_ATF just have a thread about a sword he bought?

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#24]
How the hell were you going to learn to use a sword without having a sword?

I think you did it in the right order.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been thinking about getting myself an NCO sword for wall decoration, just haven't got around to it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#26]
"Seriously, what kind of idiot spends perfectly good money on a sword nowadays"

This idiot - who was trained in escrima, khukuri knife fighing, folder knife fighting, and even entrenching tool fighting.

If you want to go cheap, Cold Steel is the lowest, decent quality.

If you want performance and quality, Barry Dawson.  Be prepared to spend a lot of money.  He is the best.  If his niece, Lynn Dawson, started making swords, she would be the second best domestic maker.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about getting myself an NCO sword for wall decoration, just haven't got around to it.

Me too. The cost of a certified sword is a bit steep, however. I find myself trying to decide between a 590A1 or an certified NCO Sword.

THIS is the one I've had my eye on.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

the kind of guy who has more disposable income than he knows what to do with.

Not to this guy!

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2009-09-16/news/0909150076_1_samurai-sword-samurai-weapon-pontolillo

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#29]
The kind of guy who would probably like this book...

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I spent perfectly good money on a replica Star Trek phaser and communicator.

We're guys and we do goofy shit.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's tape

and is so freaking funny

Saw that long ago, and just had to watch again.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Idiots like me!!  

Be careful, swords can be every bit as addictive as guns and just wait until you get a hint of the dark side, which is custom swords made to your specifications.  

I'm also a fan of Chinese swords and had this Chinese Piandao or "slashing saber" made:

This particular sword looks European but it's design was highly influenced by the Chinese duan jian or "short sword".

I even once owned an authentic antique Chinese jian:
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm definitely not a "blade" guy. Dudes that own a "collection" of knives or swords worry me.

Hypocrisy at it's finest
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I spent perfectly good money on a replica Star Trek phaser and communicator.

We're guys and we do goofy shit.

Have fun.

So true.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/bennnn-fromgunsites/hans.jpg

Got that book too, as well as a replica gladius.  Looking for a good bastard sword now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#36]
What kind of guy spends money on a spoiler for his Civic?

At least you can slay fuckers with a sword...with the spoiler you're just going to suck fuck.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Eh,...swords are kind'a-sort'a cool.

I don't have one but I can understand the guys/gals
that do.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I saw a short "ninja" type sword custom made by Chuck Hawes that was headed to a guy in Canada––$3000.  Chuck said he is a collector.  That's who.  

Wakizashi?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Do swords shorten the 21 foot rule?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1ahuBkdc8E&feature=fvsr
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#45]
i want a busse gladius and a good shield.

a picture i stole from the interwebs.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Where's the bayonet mounting ring?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/bennnn-fromgunsites/hans.jpg

yes please!

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Idiots like me!!  

Be careful, swords can be every bit as addictive as guns and just wait until you get a hint of the dark side, which is custom swords made to your specifications.  

I'm also a fan of Chinese swords and had this Chinese Piandao or "slashing saber" made:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/corwin1968/ChineseDao.jpg

This particular sword looks European but it's design was highly influenced by the Chinese duan jian or "short sword".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/corwin1968/000RidingSwordwithparachord003.jpg

I even once owned an authentic antique Chinese jian:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/corwin1968/001Myantique.jpg

that's all kinds of awesome.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I have 2 swords, one of which is this Japanese WW2 Shin Gunto

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Oh my god. That video was epic. Dork son having "mom" video his new sword!!

If I was that big of a doofus the first thing I would do would be to throw myself on that sword
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top