Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/8/2011 1:44:37 PM EDT
What?

My ears/sinuses are stopped up and hurting. This *may* be the flu, but for now I think it's just a sinus infection. What's the best OTC medicine to take for this?
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
...not available OTC.

Sudafed,
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Advil cold and sinus, work great for me !
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Shot of whiskey, and lots of sleep.

Honestly, it works about as good as anything else.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Real, actual, psudoephedrine.
Speed
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Speed

Yep. And even better than that was just plain ephedrine, back when you could get that.

Now, pseudoephedrine works for me. Though not quite as well as ephedrine.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have high blood pressure watch out for the pseudoephedrine (and certainly no ephedrine!!!).
You could try nose spray instead. Oxymetazoline aka Afrin.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What?

My ears/sinuses are stopped up and hurting. This *may* be the flu, but for now I think it's just a sinus infection. What's the best OTC medicine to take for this?

http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php
This, with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide added to a full bottle.

And some Mucinex.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you have high blood pressure watch out for the pseudoephedrine (and certainly no ephedrine!!!).

I use Sudafed and Afrin spray.  Limit the use of the spray to three days or so.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#10]
the spray-bottle sinus cleaner thing
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I like NyQuil, but only at night.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#12]
The 12 hour Mucinex D that is behind the pharmacy counter is the best thing out there.  It has the real pseudoephedrine in it and an expectorant to actually get the crap out of there.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That stuff causes rebound congestion if you use it to much. Meaning when you stop taking it your sinuses are going to close up worse than the were before you started using it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#14]
As someone who has suffered from chronic sinus infections for about 15 years now, the netti pot works. Use it with whatever over the counter stuff works best for you and the netti pot will help flush the stuff out of your head.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Adderall.

Whatever you do, don't waste your money on anything containing phenylephrine, it doesn't do anything at all.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Try Nasal Irrigation.

No need for pills or medicine.

Your sinus cavity is a big air filter for your lungs. When you don't clean it, it gets plugged up and infected.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#17]
OK, the wife has some Sudafed PE, which clearly states it 'does not contain PsuedoEphedrine'.

She also has some Mucniex and some Mucinex DM, but no Mucinex D.

Which should I take?
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Try Nasal Irrigation.

Your sinus cavity is a big air filter for your lungs. When you don't clean it, it gets plugged up and infected.

I've done that twice today. I don't have a netti pot, but I did mix some warm salt water and snort as much as I could. It does seem to help.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Go buy some bronkaid. It's behind the counter.

It's ephedrine. Works great.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#20]
ephedrine/guaifenesin.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As someone who has suffered from chronic sinus infections for about 15 years now, the netti pot works. Use it with whatever over the counter stuff works best for you and the netti pot will help flush the stuff out of your head.

If there was only some way to use it on your ears.........the most pressure in my head right now is near my left ear. It makes me want to go grab a vacuum cleaner.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Loratadine (Claritin) tablets, 10 mg (not time-release, no pseudoephedrine) work very well for me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Sudafed. Go to the pharmacy counter and ask for it. You'll have to sign for it.

I have bad allergies and I used both Zyrtec and Sudafed pretty much everyday in the spring.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

+1

I use the neti-pot but I also use a product called sino-fresh, it a nasal spray that uses natural oils like peppermint to get rid of the problem at its source. I used to have to take a prescription but I haven't had to in the 2 years since I found sino-fresh. Products that contain  oxymetazoline really only treat the symptoms, not the problem

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
...not available OTC.

Sudafed,

This. You don't need a prescription but the pharmacist keeps it behind the counter. At least in GA.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Nasal Tobacco Snuff.

I had a wicked bad clogged tube for two months, day of using Snuff cleared it up. Lots of disinformation out there but it turns out that tobacco is slight antiseptic and aids at getting the blood flowing. Whatever, it worked.

I ordered from this place:
http://www.toquesnuff.com/

ETA I have no history of chewing or smoking (other then a few cigars)
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Speed

This, period. Wallyworld, 12 hour extended release cold and sinus. About $4. Just buy the Equate brand.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Speed

Yup
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What?

http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php
This, with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide added to a full bottle.

And some Mucinex.

I use this thing daily, but why the hydrogen peroxide?
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Loratadine (Claritin) tablets, 10 mg (not time-release, no pseudoephedrine) work very well for me.

She's got that too.

(I'm wondering now if she made meth in a past life.....)

Ok, no, seriously.....I have sudafed PE, mucinex, mucinex DM, and Claritin.
I took some dayquil this morning and nyquil last night.
Of the 4 in red above, which should I take? Can I take more than 1 in combination?
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

the walmart brand works well too!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Speed

+1

and I find the above kind of funny.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#33]
7 gram rocks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's got that too.

Of the 4 in red above, which should I take? Can I take more than 1 in combination?

You can combine plain Mucinex with anything.

The rest, fuggedaboudit.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's got that too.

Of those choices take the Mucinex DM, it should be similar to the sudafed PE but with the exportant in it.  If you are sneezing and having itchy eyes add the Claritin with it.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Hit that there EC stack for a week. Gives you the energy that the sickness saps, and helps you lose weight at the same time!

I've never been able to continue an EC stack for more than a couple weeks at a time though... get too jittery.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I swear by this stuff.

Or a Guinness or 3.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I use the neti-pot but I also use a product called sino-fresh, it a nasal spray that uses natural oils like peppermint to get rid of the problem at its source. I used to have to take a prescription but I haven't had to in the 2 years since I found sino-fresh. Products that contain oxymetazoline really only treat the symptoms, not the problem

+1 on the neti pot or sinus blaster.  Just rinse away the problems :D
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hit that there EC stack for a week. Gives you the energy that the sickness saps, and helps you lose weight at the same time!

I've never been able to continue an EC stack for more than a couple weeks at a time though... get too jittery.

What's an EC stack?

<––-not a doctor, did not stay in Holiday Inn Express last night.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try Nasal Irrigation.

I've done that twice today. I don't have a netti pot, but I did mix some warm salt water and snort as much as I could. It does seem to help.

Getting it back out (with all the germs and nasal contaminants) is just as important as getting it in.

You really should try the Neti Pot or the plastic bottle... it really is effective, especially with repeated use. It's not going to give instant pain relief, but it will flush the garbage out and allow your body to heal itself.

It's no different than leaving a splinter in your foot. All the antibiotics and bandaids in the world won't help if the foreign debris is not removed. Your sinus cavity is no different.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OK, the wife has some Sudafed PE, which clearly states it 'does not contain PsuedoEphedrine'.
She also has some Mucniex and some Mucinex DM, but no Mucinex D.
Which should I take?

Take both.

OR, go to the Pharmacy and buy some REAL Sudafed (AKA Pseudoephedrine HCI) instead of the poser shit.  You'll have to show ID and sign into a log that they keep there.

Also... I've heard this works well:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFEXjzGagMI (and by "heard" I mean I "heard" by wife and daughter causing a ruckus in the bathroom struggling over this thing with my daughter fighting it tooth and nail when she had a stuffed nose... and by "works" I mean she was feeling 100% better afterwards and was able to get a good night's sleep.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's an EC stack?

ephedrine and caffeine taken together as a weight loss method.
http://www.hotnfit.com/ecstack.htm
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's got that too.

Just take the regular mucinex, unless you have cough that needs to be controlled.  The cough suppressant is the difference between regular mucinex and DM.

Claritin is an allergy medication, probably not really needed for this.  What sometimes DOES help though, is an OTC anti inflammatory like motrin or aleve (ibuprophen or naproxen sodium).

If you have a sinus infection (thick colored mucus, white/yellow/green etc) put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in with the neti pot, along with a pinch of baking soda.  The baking soda helps break up mucus.  If you get the neilmed kit, it has premixed packets of salt & baking soda in the right concentrations.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Try eating some very hot peppers,that will get the sinus's draining quick.
As others have said musinex helps also
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's got that too.

Just take the regular mucinex, unless you have cough that needs to be controlled.  The cough suppressant is the difference between regular mucinex and DM.

Claritin is an allergy medication, probably not really needed for this.  What sometimes DOES help though, is an OTC anti inflammatory like motrin or aleve (ibuprophen or naproxen sodium).

If you have a sinus infection (thick colored mucus, white/yellow/green etc) put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in with the neti pot, along with a pinch of baking soda.  The baking soda helps break up mucus.  If you get the neilmed kit, it has premixed packets of salt & baking soda in the right concentrations.

Or, you could just go to the store and get some ephedrine-guaifenesin decongestant.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's an EC stack?

ephedrine and caffeine taken together as a weight loss method.
http://www.hotnfit.com/ecstack.htm

Back in the mid-90's I used to have a job where I worked 60+ hours a week plus I was in junior college full time. I used to live on Diet Fuel for 6 days per week, and crash on Sundays. I'm not sure I could live that way now.

Anyway, the wife is gone to try and get some real Sudafed at Wal-Mart.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#48]
4 hour nasal spray opens the sinus passage.  After that blow out the crap.  Keep doing this until it's gone.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Another vote for the neti pot.  It will help your ear pressure too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#50]
LOL, OP...

Welcome to Mississippi, the only state in the Union besides Oregon where you cannot buy the REAL DEAL Pseudoephedrine products without a DOCTORS prescription.

Thanks to Haley Barbour for taking some of your freedoms.  Remember that when he runs for President
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top