Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/1/2011 7:18:04 AM EDT
Yesterday, when I was driving to and from school, about midway in each trip when the freeway ends and goes through a small town, I curiously ended up behind a person who made it their personal business to go at least 5-10 mph UNDER the speed limit. Normally, this would piss me off immensely, as I generally have a reason for being in a car and need to get to someplace.

And yesterday was no different. I was headed to class and then... BAM the guy in front of me is going way under the speed limit ( First they go 35 in a 50, and then they go 20 in a 35). But instead of getting angry, I just sat back and laughed, I mean, how the hell can anyone go THAT slow? It was actually so funny, that I was fairly happy that I got to witness such a spectacle in the middle of my hour long commute. Needless to say, when the road opened back up on the other side of town, I passed right by them, but up until that point, I was locked in place behind the funniest show on earth.

Anyone else run into someone who's going so slow that it doesn't piss you off, but gives you a good chuckle instead?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:19:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Buick or Oldsmobile?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I drive slowly.

Not THAT slowly, but enough that it pisses people off sometimes.

I think I'm just an old man in a young man's body.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:22:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, the Sunday Harley riders, putting along at 40mph. I mean, goddamn, if my Ford Escape can take the curves at 55, your fucking motorcycle can too. Real bad-asses, they are.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:27:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like everyday living in Florida.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#5]
<rant> Once you get behind the fucking wheel-YOUR NEW JOB is to follow the rules of the road.  Don't put your make-up on, either learn to multi-task or put the fucking phone down.  If the Speed Limit is 50, try to get near it.  Use your fucking turn signals.  I don't care if anyone is behind you, other people like to know where your shitwagon of a car is going.  Learn how to merge, don't stop right on the fucking onramp.  Know that it is LEGAL to turn on red if there is no sign prohibiting it.  I don't need a 2 minute wait behind your sorry ass on the longest fucking light in history because you feel your breaking the law.  As OP stated, I got behind the wheel of my vehicle because I have somewhere to be.  Don't slow me down. </rant>

Ehhh, feel a little better I guess.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Just last night as a matter of fact... So i popped around them and decided to go slower then they were for the remaining 2 miles home. Yeah bitch, who's tailgating who now!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Aha.  I see none of you have felt the wrath of small towns that need ticket money yet.  You will soon be enlightened.  Keep speeding.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Aha.  I see none of you have felt the wrath of small towns that need ticket money yet.  You will soon be enlightened.  Keep speeding.

Noone said anything about speeding.  We are all bitching about slowing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, and 9 times out of 10 they're in the left hand lane,and they no speaky Engrish.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yep, the Sunday Harley riders, putting along at 40mph. I mean, goddamn, if my Ford Escape can take the curves at 55, your fucking motorcycle can too. Real bad-asses, they are.

Wow, that was fast.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:49:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yep, and 9 times out of 10 they're in the left hand lane,and they no speaky Engrish.

Why you frick me off?  I show blinker to say I stay in reft rane.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#13]
He was probably trying to organize his wallet after the punks behind him at the convenience store made him rush after he paid.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I work with one. We call her Putt-Putt.  

Remember the scene in Dumb and Dumber where the round the bend on the moped, and there's a half-mile of traffic backed up behind them? That's how she drives. I've witnessed and been stuck behind her on several occasions.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Sounds like everyday living in Florida.

This, unfortunately.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yesterday, when I was driving to and from school, about midway in each trip when the freeway ends and goes through a small town, I curiously ended up behind a person who made it their personal business to go at least 5-10 mph UNDER the speed limit. Normally, this would piss me off immensely, as I generally have a reason for being in a car and need to get to someplace.

And yesterday was no different. I was headed to class and then... BAM the guy in front of me is going way under the speed limit ( First they go 35 in a 50, and then they go 20 in a 35). But instead of getting angry, I just sat back and laughed, I mean, how the hell can anyone go THAT slow? It was actually so funny, that I was fairly happy that I got to witness such a spectacle in the middle of my hour long commute. Needless to say, when the road opened back up on the other side of town, I passed right by them, but up until that point, I was locked in place behind the funniest show on earth.

Anyone else run into someone who's going so slow that it doesn't piss you off, but gives you a good chuckle instead?

I thought all the folks from Ohio that drive like that were in Florida already. Guess a few stayed behind.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like me..

A 65MPH speed limit=80-85 for me, but a small town in rural texas w/ 30MPH=im going 25 tops or im getting a ticket...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I was behind one that wanted to go 45 all the time, no matter what the posted limit was. I first came up behind him in a 55 zone, and he held steady at 45. A bit further on, in a 35 zone, he was still doing 45.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#19]
i drive 10 under and i dont give a fuck if you like it or dont like it. my concern for your state of mind or where you have to be is zero.

you should have left earlier.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#20]
THE absolute funniest thing I ever see is the people who are in such a god-awful hurry to get around ME and then they kick-in the after burners as they pass me and blast down the street...

...and then I catch up to them, or I PASS THEM AGAIN when we get to the next stop light...

I had a poor "Type-A" in a Mustang GT about to blow a gasket the other night when he kept up this nonsense and I caught up to him at the next 3 stoplights in my ugly little minivan.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes. On base speed limit is 35 in non-residential areas... Assholes love to go 20.

I lose my mind daily.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I just lay on the horn till they move, even installed another horn with a switch, best time yet 11min
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
<rant> Once you get behind the fucking wheel-YOUR NEW JOB is to follow the rules of the road.  Don't put your make-up on, either learn to multi-task or put the fucking phone down.  If the Speed Limit is 50, try to get near it.  Use your fucking turn signals.  I don't care if anyone is behind you, other people like to know where your shitwagon of a car is going.  Learn how to merge, don't stop right on the fucking onramp.  Know that it is LEGAL to turn on red if there is no sign prohibiting it.  I don't need a 2 minute wait behind your sorry ass on the longest fucking light in history because you feel your breaking the law.  As OP stated, I got behind the wheel of my vehicle because I have somewhere to be.  Don't slow me down. </rant>

Ehhh, feel a little better I guess.

Also the speed limit signs. The road doesn't turn into a god damned 60 MPH zone until you are AT or PAST the fucking sign. Don't fucking crawl up my ass because you can see the sign 4 miles away and I'm still doing 50.

The opposite is true as well. When you're in a 50 MPH zone and you see a 35 MPH zone you need to start slowing down BEFORE the sign. Once you are past the sign it's 35MPH. Again don't fucking rear end me because I start slowing down 100 yards away from the sign.

Also, to the dumb fuck last night, It's generally NOT a good idea to blow by me and the cop in from of me doing 70 MPH in the passing lane when we're both doing the speed limit. Enjoy your ticket
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

i drive 10 under and i dont give a fuck if you like it or dont like it. my concern for your state of mind or where you have to be is zero.

And maybe you should be taking the bus; if you can't drive that is.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes but around here they have Ohio plates.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Hell I do it all the time. When Im in town how else can I see who else is in town and what coffee shop they are at? You go driving around too fast and you will miss stuff that you need to see. Im in the red 3/4 ton Chevy usually so dont get all excited.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I seem to make people angry a couple of different ways while driving.  One: I always obey the speed limit.  I do not go over it.  Conversely, I do not like to go under it.  I am one of those guys that accelerates quickly to the limit and then steadily continues at the governed pace.

Two: I always come to a complete stop at a stop sign or when turning right on red.  There are a couple of four way stops close to my home that hardly anyone stops for and I have nearly been rearended too many times to count since people seem to expect me to break the law just as readily as do they.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Actually, yes, it has happened to me.

Sometimes a person is just going soooo slow, you gotta laugh.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Aren't we special.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

QFT
The folk from Ohio are the worst drivers I have ever seen.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So, your that cuntlap...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Some people's entire existence serves as a hindrance to the rest of mankind, they will find their solution eventually.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Buick or Oldsmobile?

+1

don't forget the land yacht caddilac/lincoln town car with a box of kleenex and a sun hat in the rear window.  

And God forbid they have "DD" on their license plate.  It's like the driver summons all their tard powers so they can effectively eat up both lanes of the road.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#34]
It drives me nuts when people go 10-15 mi under the speed limit on 2 lane road. Get the fuck out of the way! However, I don't tailgate someone that's going too slow because it's unsafe and pisses me off more than being stuck behind a slow poke.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Most people get out of the way or speed up when this gets behind them

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't drive slow. I'll motor along about 5 to 10 over. I get where I'm going. What grinds me is when I'm rolling along slightly over the limit and some jackass comes along behind me and rides my ass until I can get around traffic to get over so the fool can pass. I get some payback occasionally when I'm in the unmarked Impala and the fools blow by me. Red and blue lights and a blast from the siren tends to deflate the fool. If not then they get pulled over and I call in a patrol unit to start writing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#37]
I personally enjoy driving slow as hell in the left lane especially since I slapped on that "obama in 12" bumper sticker....
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Pisses me off too. But what REALLY pisses me off... is when said slow-pokes pull-out RIGHT in front of you and then go that slow. And 90% of the time, there's NO ONE behind you. So these self-centered, inconsiderate morons couldn't wait ONE more second to pull-out, until after you'd passed. Honestly, these people must be so blind and dumb, they've got NO business on the road at all. Just completely oblivious to traffic flows, etc. And I run into them EVERY day. It's truly scary what's out there on the road. I'm gonna just put my high beams on the next idiot who does that and then leave them on. Time to send a message to these clueless dolts.

BTW... on a rare occasion, I have found myself making that split-second decision to pull-out fairly close in front of someone. On the occasion that happens, I gun it and try to go FASTER than the guy behind me so at least he doesn't have to tool along behind me at a slow rate. No one's perfect, but consideration is the key. If you screw-up, then do what you can to rectify it. Don't just crawl along as if you're the only driver on the road. Like the same slow-pokes who'll drive-up an entire mountain road with a half-mile line of cars piling-up behind them, without PULLING-OVER to allow the obviously faster traffic to pass. I swear, people are just in their own little worlds sometimes. God forbid they actually look in the rear-view mirror to see what's going-on behind them...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Here's a hing-when people on fucking hover rounds are throwing you the bird as they whip around you, you have become a hazard to fucking navigation. If you don't feel safe going the posted limit on a fucking 6 lane road (3 north, 3 south) in clear daylight on good roads (another hint-if it's 70 and sunny and has been for the last 10 days, there is NO FUCKING ICE ON THE ROAD), it might be time for you to hang up your keys before you fucking cause an accident.

We get them here in AZ in the wintertime from snowier climes, and it's fucking awful. 20 in a 45? You betcha. Not only will they do 20 under, they won't hesitate for a milisecond before whipping that fucking caddy through the stop sign and right on into traffic. Of course, by whipping, I mean running the stop sign at 8 miles an hour and waiting until their vehicle covers 3 lanes of traffic before they actually start turning the wheel.

And let's not forget the other maneuvers that seem to be stock and trade for the same idiots willing to go 15 or 20 under. Moves like making a left hand turn across 2 lanes of traffic because they forgot that they were in the right hand turn lane. The ever popular right hand turn from the left turn lane, again in front of 2 lanes of traffic. The stylish "Come to a complete stop at the bottom of the on ramp"-a double threat, because everyone else is using the fucking on-ramp like they're supposed to and accelerating to freeway speeds prior to attempting to merge, and the danger to traffic already on the freeway who suddenly have to deal with a car, apparently piloted by a sentient halo of blue hair, moving onto the freeway at a pace that is easily 50 to 55 miles an hour SLOWER than them.

And who can forget the classic "freak the fuck out when you realize that you're about to enter the freeway", wherein the driver makes the stop at the end of the on ramp, is overwhelmed by the substantial delta-v posessed by the rest of the fucking non-idiot drivers, and then attempts to BACK UP OFF THE ON RAMP. Nevermind the 40 cars that are now stuck between Elmer and Ethyl and the intersection they used to get on the freaking on ramp. Even more disruptive to traffic than trying to back up the on ramp is the dead stop prior to making a right hand turn into a driveway in rush hour traffic. Nearly always results in an accident, and then when Elmer and Ethyl's bridge club drives by the scene, they rubberneck and cause a second traffic stopping wreck.

Yep, some folks should voluntarily hang up their keys, and some folks should be MADE to hang up their keys.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Some people's entire existence serves as a hindrance to the rest of mankind, they will find their solution eventually.

Yup -one of 'em even posted in this thread.

Quoted:

People like this make the world a worse place to live in. Sadly- people like him would take that as a compliment.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I honestly detest people like you.

Quoted:
THE absolute funniest thing I ever see is the people who are in such a god-awful hurry to get around ME and then they kick-in the after burners as they pass me and blast down the street...

...and then I catch up to them, or I PASS THEM AGAIN when we get to the next stop light...

I had a poor "Type-A" in a Mustang GT about to blow a gasket the other night when he kept up this nonsense and I caught up to him at the next 3 stoplights in my ugly little minivan.

Happens to me a whole lot, and I mean the slow people catching up to me part.  I hardly ever go over more than 5mph, but I like to be up front in the stoplight grand prix.  So I tend to zip around 'til I'm up front, and do my normal 5 over.  I try to never hold up traffic though. If my 5mph over is not with the flow I schooch on over to the slow lane.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Is there any reason that you drive 10 mph under the speed limit?  Do you wear a helmet to the grocery store as well?  People like you are rolling obstructions.  If you can not navigate the road properly, please turn in your licence and buy a moped.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a hing-when people on fucking hover rounds are throwing you the bird as they whip around you, you have become a hazard to fucking navigation. If you don't feel safe going the posted limit on a fucking 6 lane road (3 north, 3 south) in clear daylight on good roads (another hint-if it's 70 and sunny and has been for the last 10 days, there is NO FUCKING ICE ON THE ROAD), it might be time for you to hang up your keys before you fucking cause an accident.

We get them here in AZ in the wintertime from snowier climes, and it's fucking awful. 20 in a 45? You betcha. Not only will they do 20 under, they won't hesitate for a milisecond before whipping that fucking caddy through the stop sign and right on into traffic. Of course, by whipping, I mean running the stop sign at 8 miles an hour and waiting until their vehicle covers 3 lanes of traffic before they actually start turning the wheel.

And let's not forget the other maneuvers that seem to be stock and trade for the same idiots willing to go 15 or 20 under. Moves like making a left hand turn across 2 lanes of traffic because they forgot that they were in the right hand turn lane. The ever popular right hand turn from the left turn lane, again in front of 2 lanes of traffic. The stylish "Come to a complete stop at the bottom of the on ramp"-a double threat, because everyone else is using the fucking on-ramp like they're supposed to and accelerating to freeway speeds prior to attempting to merge, and the danger to traffic already on the freeway who suddenly have to deal with a car, apparently piloted by a sentient halo of blue hair, moving onto the freeway at a pace that is easily 50 to 55 miles an hour SLOWER than them.

And who can forget the classic "freak the fuck out when you realize that you're about to enter the freeway", wherein the driver makes the stop at the end of the on ramp, is overwhelmed by the substantial delta-v posessed by the rest of the fucking non-idiot drivers, and then attempts to BACK UP OFF THE ON RAMP. Nevermind the 40 cars that are now stuck between Elmer and Ethyl and the intersection they used to get on the freaking on ramp. Even more disruptive to traffic than trying to back up the on ramp is the dead stop prior to making a right hand turn into a driveway in rush hour traffic. Nearly always results in an accident, and then when Elmer and Ethyl's bridge club drives by the scene, they rubberneck and cause a second traffic stopping wreck.

Yep, some folks should voluntarily hang up their keys, and some folks should be MADE to hang up their keys.

Nice rant!  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I used to think that OH had the worst drivers.  Then I moved to MI.

They go slow like you describe, but when the road opens up and you CAN pass them, they speed up and you have to commit a felony to pass them before the next town.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sounds like me..

A 65MPH speed limit=80-85 for me, but a small town in rural texas w/ 30MPH=im going 25 tops or im getting a ticket...

I drive in rural west Texas every day of the week, unless I'm actually going through town I average around 5 over, in town I do the limit, I've never gotten a ticket and only been stopped once, and that was because the trooper saw my tall can of Arizona juice and thought it was a beer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Ahhhh the "Me me me" of society.    

"You're going too slow and I won't tolerate it."
"I'm going this speed and don't give a Fk."

You folks should drive in Ireland sometime.  Those people understand driver courtesy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#47]
I have driven in several countries in Europe and I never had that problem. It is like the plague here in Florida. We have a section of I95 that is 3 or 4 lanes on each side plus HIV lanes (yeah I know it's HOV). So you have people going slow in the HIV lane and the people next to it no longer look at the actual left lane as being the left lane because of the HIV lane. So they go slow too. It is enough to make your blood pressure go up when you have to get somewhere quick.

I was at a party one night and some friends from the Netherlands were there and we were discussing the driving differences between there and here. The girl said in her lovely accent. "I though people just picked a lane to be in here and stayed there no matter what." We lol'd. So we explained the theory of the left lane and passing on the left to avoid chaos of everyone passing on all sides to get around slower moving vehicles. She had a look on her face and asked "Why do they do it then" No one had a good answer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#48]
I used to drive OH to Tenn and back.  It was all fun, sunshine, polite drivers... as SOON as you hit the OH border... omg I can't even describe how annoying it is living in this area.

Quoted:

Quoted:

QFT

The folk from Ohio are the worst drivers I have ever seen.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Buick or Oldsmobile?

Also, was the driver wearing a hat, and were they able to see over the steering wheel?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ahhhh the "Me me me" of society.    

"You're going too slow and I won't tolerate it."
"I'm going this speed and don't give a Fk."

You folks should drive in Ireland sometime.  Those people understand driver courtesy.

England too. It was a joy to drive there.

Fuckers drove the wrong way, but other than that....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top