Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2011 10:34:25 PM EDT
About 18 months ago my left heel started hurting and after a month or so it got REALLY bad. I couldn't walk across the room without it hurting. After a couple of weeks it didn't go away so I went to the DR.

I have a heel spur and he told me I had two options. Surgery and he told me my achilles would never be the same or Shock Wave Therapy (orthotripsy).

Insurance didn't pay for the Ortho, $2300 out of pocket and it was worth every penny.

I had it done last summer and they said the healing would be VERY gradual.  It was.  I didn't even notice a difference for 3 months.

They put you under and hit it with the shock (sound) waves. No anti inflamatories for a few months then some hard core ones.

It actually causes new micro blood vessels to grow in the area to prevent the spur from creating a chronic inflamation problem. Works on tennis elbow and plantar fascitis as well.

It is 7 months later and I just started running again. Without pain!!!!!!  

If ever in a position to need it and you are thinking about it, consider it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody else has had this done?
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
We use it on horses with tendon injuries all the time. Each treatment costs about a tenth of what you paid though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

We use it on horses with tendon injuries all the time. Each treatment costs about a tenth of what you paid though.

Maybe I should have gone to the large animal vet.

HEE HAW!!! HEE HAW!!!!
Seriously though, how long is the healing period with them?

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I should have gone to the large animal vet.

HEE HAW!!! HEE HAW!!!!

Seriously though, how long is the healing period with them?

Depends on the injury and the severity of it.  For a suspensory tear, it can be anywhere from 3-6 months or more.  But we're not looking for just relief, we're looking for a horse that is no longer lame when moving, different than people.

Good luck with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top