Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2011 8:52:56 PM EDT
Want to have some fun, go to google maps, and type in Detroit, it will center you right over down town Detroit right in the middle of the "green zone" (the area inside the people mover tracks in the city center where you will probably survive getting out of your car) about a thousand feet from the Renaissance Center (Mostly Abandoned) that's the heart of the city, that's where all the sky scrapers are, now scroll over about 1-2 miles East Or West, and zoom all the way in, what do you see?

Lets make a game of it, post a screen shot of what you come up with, street view can be fun to.

http://maps.google.com/
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
holy shit. there are spots (of inner city Detroit) that look like rural Alabama. scarcely a sign of human life. Robocop was true

looks like a great place to raise some free range beef
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
holy shit. there are spots (of inner city Detroit) that look like rural Alabama. scarcely a sign of human life. Robocop was true

The houses were either victims of arson (Devil's night), never maintained or the occupants stopped paying utilities and they eventually caved in. Some may have been crack houses.

What's nice there is that the bad ones have actually been torn down. Plenty of wrecks still around that look like regular houses from an aerial map. Detroit is a disaster area that should be cordoned off. Unfortunately the residents who gave us this armageddon have relocated to the neighboring suburbs to repeat the process.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yep, and less than 2 miles away is the city center, and 50 story buildings.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#4]
That indian village neighborhood looks out of place.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Sucks that they don't give the date of the image.  I know the image of my house is at least 7 years old.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I found this funny for some reason

Link Posted: 1/4/2011 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]
wow.. the number of murders in detroit already.. check this out

http://spotcrime.com/mi/detroit

Link Posted: 1/5/2011 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#8]
bump
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#9]
If elected President, I have a foolproof plan to drastically improve the city of Detroit, overnight.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:18:02 AM EDT
[#10]
It's sad, when you think of what it once was.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:59:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Not long ago I read an article in which they (Detroit City Council?) were going to doze huge swaths of vacant and distressed housing that was being used for drugs etc...

Looks as though they have put those plans into effect.  As I recall recent history, that area was once fertile land used for crops.

edited: link to story
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:59:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
wow.. the number of murders in detroit already.. check this out

http://spotcrime.com/mi/detroit

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5336/crime.png

That crime map would be worse except the city has been depopulated by 2/3.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#13]
You guys who think this is all recent are wrong. They've been bulldozing buildings since I was a kid in Southwest Detroit.

MY cousin works in a salvage yard about a mile from the GM headquarters and there is an urban farm surrounding the old building he is in, The guy who owns it uses a bigger tractor than I do.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:44:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I was just cruising Detroit in google maps and found Dearborn (I think) Country Club. Looked pretty swanky.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:00:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was just cruising Detroit in google maps and found Dearborn (I think) Country Club. Looked pretty swanky.

The Detroit area is very strange in that it can change very fast from good to bad.  I live five miles north of 8 Mile Road, which is the DMZ between Detroit and the suburbs.  My city has much lower crime than the national average.  My neighborhood is absolutely silent. My best friend lives half a mile north of 8 mile. We walk around at night between his house and mine all the time for exercise, at all hours.  Have been for years. Not a single incident.  Seriously, not even one.  I didn't even bother to renew my CPL when it expired last year (although I will be).  

The police in the "inner ring" neighborhoods know where they are, and they know the vitality of their community stems from keeping Detroit in Detroit and in making the paying customers feel safe.  Some of the small cities that border  the D have a frigging ARMY.  And you see them, too.  I once saw someone climbing in the window of a house and called 911 on my cell.  There were two cop cars there instantly.  It will be interesting to see the effect of long-term budget cuts if this economy keeps up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:04:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

COCKSUCKERS!!!!  Did you notice in your picture, BRAND NEW sidewalk ends with "high traction inserts"???   For fucking WHO?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:06:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Chattanooga TN was rated to have worse crime stats than Detroit.

Chattanooga crime rate in top 20, report says
0 Comments | Chattanooga Times Free Press, Aug 30, 2010 | by South, Todd

By Todd South

[email protected]

An increase in robberies and burglaries has pushed Chattanooga's crime rate higher than that of two of the most dangerous cities in America –– Detroit and Atlanta.

Chattanooga ranked 11th among the top 20 for the highest crime rates among U.S. cities with a population of 100,000 or more, according to the Ochs Center for Metropolitan Studies.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:11:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If elected President, I have a foolproof plan to drastically improve the city of Detroit, overnight.

NO, that will just fuck up my commute. Cut off welfare payments and have DTE (power company) secure the assumed 50,000+ illegal power hookups (mass theft of electricity is rampant) and it will empty right out.
Besides, there is some cool shit here in Detoilet;
Does your local urban nightmare have a scooter race track?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/motorcycles/motorsports/underground-race-revs-up-detroits-thunderdrome

map link to velodrome

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:26:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Detroit would be a great place to film a zombie flick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top