User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/17/2010 6:00:28 PM EDT
KC-130J Harvest Hawk takes on new role in Afghanistan

3rd Marine Aircraft Wing (Fwd) Public Affairs  
Story by Sgt. Deanne Hurla
Photos by Sgt. Deanne Hurla

Maj. Marc Blankenbicker, a fire control officer for the only KC-130J "Harvest Hawk" in Afghanistan, checks the Hellfire missiles attached to the aircraft on the flightline at Forward Operating Base Dwyer. The Harvest Hawk, which is a 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing (Forward) asset, has only been in country since October, but has already detected three improvised explosive devices and fired one GPS guided Hellfire. The battle damage assessment was five enemy forces killed in action and no civilian causalities. The aircraft carries four Hellfire and 10 Griffen GPS guided missiles, and houses an infrared and television camera. Its mission is to provide close air support, conduct intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance missions, and find improvised explosive devices.

FORWARD OPERATING BASE DWYER, Afghanistan – Since 2003, KC-130Js have played a vital role in transporting coalition forces and cargo throughout Helmand and Nimroz provinces; however, the latest KC-130 to enter the area is providing a new kind of support.

The KC-130J “Harvest Hawk” of Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 352, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing (Forward), has all the same capabilities of a KC-130J “Hercules,” but the Harvest Hawk carries four Hellfire and 10 Griffen GPS guided missiles and houses an infrared and television camera.

Its mission is to provide close air support, conduct intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance missions and find improvised explosive devices.

“This aircraft is not traditional – yet,” said Maj. Marc Blankenbicker, a fire control officer for the Harvest Hawk.

There is only one Harvest Hawk operating in Afghanistan, and it is used to fill the gaps where coverage from other aircraft isn’t available; it operates in a role similar to that of an F/A-18, explained Blankenbicker, who is originally from Avon, Conn.

Though the Harvest Hawk only began its first deployment in October, it has already had its first weapons engagement Nov. 4.

“We supported [3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment] in Sangin when they were in a fire fight,” said Blankenbicker. “We shot one Hellfire missile, and the battle damage assessment was five enemy [killed in action].”

The assessment also stated there were no civilian causalities or property damage during the fire fight.

Using the Harvest Hawk, VMGR-352 Marines have already found at least three IEDs near 3/5’s area of operation and in support of other coalition forces.

Missions such as these are aiding the VMGR-352 Marines to build relationships with ground forces that may be skeptical of the KC-130’s new abilities.

“There wasn’t time to teach battalions what we are capable of so a lot of it has been real time, and everyone has been really receptive,” Blankenbicker said. “It’s a matter of a little bit of education and a little bit of getting to know each other.”

“When we first get [overhead], the [ground forces] ask what our capabilities are, but after having worked with them for a while, they’ve gotten used to it,” added Capt. Joel Dunivant, a Harvest Hawk aircraft commander. “From what we’ve been told, the guys really like working with us. We’re taken seriously, we’re professional and we’ve got the time to sit there and dig thoroughly into what’s going on, on the ground.”

Marines and other coalition forces are all making the adjustment to having a KC-130J in the combat role, and according to the pilots, the transition is going smoothly.

“On a standard day, we arrive on station and talk to the forward air controllers attached to battalions to see what is going on,” Blankenbicker said. “While we’re on hand, we use our cameras to look at villages, watch pattern of life and assess what is going on in the [area of operation] at that time. If they get into some kind of conflict with the enemy forces, then we are available to provide close air support with our weapons systems.”

Using the added capabilities, the Harvest Hawk is able to provide support to two or three ground units for up to three hours each time it flies.

The aircraft is kept at a medium altitude above ground level and can work alone or in conjunction with UH-1Y Hueys and AH-1W Cobras, added Dunivant, who is originally from Boise, Idaho.

Other than operating in a combat role, there are only slight differences between the Harvest Hawk and the Hercules. The four Hellfire missiles on the left wing, the Griffen missiles, secured on the aircraft’s ramp and the addition of the camera are what make a Hercules the Harvest Hawk.

The KC-130J has provided transport and refueling capabilities throughout Regional Command (Southwest) and now provides the extra advantage of staying overhead for longer than any other aircraft operating in the region. The Harvest Hawk provides accurate and effective combat offensive capabilities to support coalition forces on the ground through surveillance and overwatch.

http://www.dvidshub.net/news/60315/kc-130j-harvest-hawk-takes-new-role-afghanistan

The Digital Video and Imagery Distribution System (DVIDS) is provided as a public service operated by Third Army/U.S. Army Central (ARCENT) on behalf of the Department of the Army in support of all branches of the U.S. military and its Coalition partners serving in the U.S. Forces Central Command (CENTCOM) area of responsibility.
Third Army/ARCENT has a contract with Crawford Communications, Inc., in Atlanta, Georgia, to provide this service. Crawford Communications employs civilians to fulfill the contract as media representatives, video editors, web developers and satellite transmission technicians.
Information presented on or via DVIDS is considered public information and may be distributed or copied unless otherwise specified. Use of appropriate byline/photo/image credits is requested.
http://www.dvidshub.net/about/faq#faq20
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Get Some, Leathernecks !

Semper Fi

zulu
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The way things are going now.... all they need to do is ad some more electronic do-dads, AESA, and there you go. Joint-Strike-Herky.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Be nice...

DON'T TRIM IT!
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Just think, we may not have known this if Mcchrystal was still around.  

Well to go, Devil Dogs.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Have the racks so they slide in after use and the guys inside can reload them, then the bomb rack slides back out. Put around 200 inside and your all set.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well to go, Devil Dogs.

patreaus didn't change mcchrystal's order.
what happens is now you have an aircraft with hours of loiter so you can make smart decisions on your own time lines.
tactical decisions in a COIN firefight made based upon your supporting aircraft's time to bingo are almost invariably bad.
Either that or mccrystal and patreaus are idiots.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I googled the Griffin missile it's carrying.  What is it's official name "AG-xxx"?

I couldn't find much information on it at all.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have the racks so they slide in after use and the guys inside can reload them, then the bomb rack slides back out. Put around 200 inside and your all set.

and you are going to find 1000 taliban in one place how?
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well to go, Devil Dogs.

what happens is now you have an aircraft with hours of loiter so you can make smart decisions on your own time lines.
tactical decisions in a COIN firefight made based upon your supporting aircraft's time to bingo are almost invariably bad.

Misunderstanding because I didn't explain my comment well.  What I'm getting at is that kills were not allowed to be counted and advertised in the media.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tie up a dozen goats in an open field?
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well to go, Devil Dogs.

Maybe you have me wrong.  What I'm getting at is that kills were not allowed to be counted and advertised in the media.

whoops!
thought you were talking about fixed wing air strike moratorium.
my bad.
I LOVE ADVERTISED DEAD TALIBAN1!!
This is my idea of a press conference.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here was a missed chance years ago in Afghanistan for a lot of them.  This really made me upset when it happened

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well to go, Devil Dogs.

Maybe you have me wrong.  What I'm getting at is that kills were not allowed to be counted and advertised in the media.

whoops!
thought you were talking about fixed wing air strike moratorium.
my bad.
I LOVE ADVERTISED DEAD TALIBAN1!!
This is my idea of a press conference.

I caught that in another thread once.  Nice job!
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here was a missed chance years ago in Afghanistan for a lot of them.  This really made me upset when it happened
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/dangerroom/2009/06/afghan-funeral.jpg

you sure they aren't ANP?
wait, formation looks too good.
never mind.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone who runs is a Taliban. Everyone who stands still is a well-disciplined Taliban...Ain't war hell?
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I think that was a funeral, right?

Or a wedding.

I could be 1000% wrong though.  I'm due.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

never mind.

Naw.  It was a whole bunch of bad guys.  They were attending a funeral so the US wasn't gonna bomb the shit out of them.  And they were armed.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bachi Bazi Boy Bait?
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

never mind.

Naw.  It was a whole bunch of bad guys.  They were attending a funeral so the US wasn't gonna bomb the shit out of them.  And they were armed.  

fireforce ftmfw.

oh man, we could do this so much better.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there anything this 50+ year-old-designed airframe can't do?

You read it from Frogwater first: the F-35 program will get axed and replaced with the FC-130J
(which will carry and shoot 100 AMRAAMs out of it's rear loading door).

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Very nice!!!!

Here is to many more.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some napalm on them would have been epic.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I was in kandahar in 2006 when that happened, couldnt believe we wouldn't drop...

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't there some sort of yearly convention that they all have to go to?

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I see where you are going with that!
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see where you are going with that!

Me? Never.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The way things are going now.... all they need to do is ad some more electronic do-dads, AESA, and there you go. Joint-Strike-Herky.

It's carrier capable, too.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Is this just a transport plane with Hellfires or did they add missles to the gunship that carries a 105mm cannon?

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I googled the Griffin missile it's carrying.  What is it's official name "AG-xxx"?

Raytheon Griffin, won out over the Viper Strike (for Harvest Hawk program).

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story.jsp?id=news/GRIFFIN061308.xml&headline=Small%20Raytheon%20Missile%20Deployed%20On%20Predator&channel=defense

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Is there anything this 50+ year-old-designed airframe can't do?

You read it from Frogwater first: the F-35 program will get axed and replaced with the FC-130J (which will carry and shoot 100 AMRAAMs out of it's rear loading door).

Try this one for size: how about RCFC (roll-controlled, fixed canard) GPS-guided air-dropped mortars?  Oh wait, we already do that with other (smaller) aircraft.  

I have dreams about independently-guided, simultaneously-launched missions with dozens of rounds at once.  It could become a reality if you combined the "brilliant" packaging of the Viper Strike with a RCFC 81mm GPS-guided mortar round.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is this just a transport plane with Hellfires or did they add missles to the gunship that carries a 105mm cannon?

Google up "Harvest Hawk" or search the archives.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They are a VMGR which is a refueling/transpo squadron.  This is an aftermarket bolt on system

Its really an excellent idea and good use of assets.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Hell yes.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Some early designs actually intended them to be rack-loaded and launched through the floor.

It was better suggested to keep the airframe as intact as possible to return it to a refueler role if necessary.  Truly a multi-role aircraft.

There are also designs for a large cannon to be fired from inside using a side-rear parachutist/crew door as a firing port.  It would also be similarly minimal airframe impact and removable.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Now all the enlisted C-130 guys are gonna be itching to get their Combat Aircrew Wings.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some early designs actually intended them to be rack-loaded and launched through the floor.

It was better suggested to keep the airframe as intact as possible to return it to a refueler role if necessary.  Truly a multi-role aircraft.

There are also designs for a large cannon to be fired from inside using a side-rear parachutist/crew door as a firing port.  It would also be similarly minimal airframe impact and removable.

I forecast mass lat moves to the enlisted Aircrew billets if this happens
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Google up "Harvest Hawk" or search the archives.

Or just read the article KA3B posted.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Similar to how a P-3 launches sonobuoys?

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wikipedia has an article on it and some links at the bottom for more info.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's carrier capable, too.

yep, only thing it's missing is VTOL................... and all jokes aside, the Air Force was looking at some conceptual models of C-130 sized STOL/VTOL sized aircraft a few years back.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm waiting to see dual 20mm Vulcans in the nose of one of those things, with about 16 Phoenix missiles, 18 AMRAAM's, and 12 Sidewinders, just to say that we have successfully strapped every single peice of aerial ordinance to the Herk.  It would be even better to see one of those playing "wolf in sheep's clothing" missions where fighters or Bear Foxtrots think they are closing in on a lowly Herk only to be blown out of the sky... Dan Brown, are you listening?
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm waiting to see dual 20mm Vulcans in the nose of one of those things, with about 16 Phoenix missiles, 18 AMRAAM's, and 12 Sidewinders, just to say that we have successfully strapped every single peice of aerial ordinance to the Herk.  It would be even better to see one of those playing "wolf in sheep's clothing" missions where fighters or Bear Foxtrots think they are closing in on a lowly Herk only to be blown out of the sky... Dan Brown, are you listening?

You've read a lot of a certain series of books?  Haven't you?  
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

AIM-54 is no longer in service.

Dan Brown smokes a crack pipe.

TR85.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, only 3 or 4.  But I have to say the concept of a stealthy BUFF with TEETH (air to air, EW package) did give me a bit of a chubb...

Quoted:

TR85.

I know.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They just need to strap an A-10 Warthog under each wing, mission accomplished.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, only 3 or 4.  But I have to say the concept of a stealthy BUFF with TEETH (air to air, EW package) did give me a bit of a chubb...

Quoted:

TR85.

I know.

I was thinking the Wingman series...delta winged F-16 with about 3 million missiles.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They just need to strap an A-10 Warthog under each wing, mission accomplished.

Wouldn't that exceed the weight limits of the wings?  However, if you could pod-mount a 30mm between the fuselage and the inboard engines on each side, add some Mavericks and some sidewinders, maybe some dumb bombs or some cargo bay JDAMS...  Or the ultimate finisher:  A BLU-82.  Nothing says "FUCK OFF AND DIE ALREADY" like 15,000 of high explosive parachuting in from 20,000ft.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10834

Enlighten the rest of us?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top