BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2010 10:32:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a muzzle velocity in the 500 fps range.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Needs HE projectiles.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#3]
If someone can build this at home, imagine what some company has built with a bigger budget out there...

I want one with a 50 round magazine and KE/HE projectile options, please.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Love the Mechwarrior music.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Just need a bit more power in it, and then mount it on a Battle mech

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just need a bit more power in it, and then mount it on a Battle mech

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e296/wombatturd/Mad_Cat_Running_by_Walter_NEST.gif

YES PLOX
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If someone can build this at home, imagine what some company has built with a bigger budget out there...

Would recoil be negated at all with this type of propulsion? I understand you're still throwing mass downrange and physics still apply but....and I could be wrong....it seems like (relative to instant explosion of current powder based rounds) the projectile would take a bit longer to reach max speed out of the barrel. Either way Ill take 5.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would recoil be negated at all with this type of propulsion? I understand you're still throwing mass downrange and physics still apply but....and I could be wrong....it seems like (relative to instant explosion of current powder based rounds) the projectile would take a bit longer to reach max speed out of the barrel. Either way Ill take 5.

I have no idea.

But you've provoked me to find out ,because now I am looking at my wallet and thinking how cool it would be to make one that takes AR magazines.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#9]
it seems a coil gun type naval artillery piece could be better than the rail gun they built.   the whole thing abou tthe rails being converted to plasma...
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Rather than directed energy, this will be the next step in small arms IMO.

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feeding similar sized projectiles without the casings would dramatically increase the capacity of a magazine while reducing the overall size of the weapon.

I think it'll go there before it goes into directed energy, for sure.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feeding similar sized projectiles without the casings would dramatically increase the capacity of a magazine while reducing the overall size of the weapon.

Firearms are still better.  With a coilgun you'll have to carry ammo AND a battery.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#13]
It looks to me like his biggest flaw is that his projectile is rediculously large for his power source.

The whole point of magnetic propulsion was supposed to be light-weight/ ludicrous-speed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#14]
These things will get smaller over time

The problem with every one that I have seen built is that it is always a heavy projectile going slow. What they should be making is a light projectile that goes fast.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder if it would be possible to have a coil assisted conventional firearm. I.E. gun that fires a bullet as normal but picks up added velocity down the barrel via coil acceleration.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Can't veiw vid so tag for home.

I'd assume this is the same concept as that million round a minute contraption, yea or nay?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It looks to me like his biggest flaw is that his projectile is rediculously large for his power source.

The whole point of magnetic propulsion was supposed to be light-weight/ ludicrous-speed.

That is what I was thinking- fire a smaller, lighter projectile at a higher velocity.  I would like to see what that could do!
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'd assume this is the same concept as that million round a minute contraption, yea or nay?

It fired an ~800grain projectile at 500 fps using electricity.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So its magnets going positive/negative polarity in a retaredly fast time.   Or am I just way off my thought process here.

My thinking.....large haldron collider (sp) but scaled back a couple billion$$$  and shoot bullets.

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So its magnets going positive/negative polarity in a retaredly fast time.   Or am I just way off my thought process here.

My thinking.....large haldron collider (sp) but scaled back a couple billion$$$  and shoot bullets.

On his gun, it looked like there was just one long coil and I would assume that when he presses the button (trigger) the power supply sends a large pulse through the coil which forces the projectile out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Firearms are still better.  With a coilgun you'll have to carry ammo AND a battery.

Unless the battery is good for several thousand charges...

And with solid projectiles without a cartridge, your cartridge options increase dramatically.

I'd rather carry an extra battery when  Ihave the option of carrying a wide array of ammunition, from frangible ammunition to KE penetrators to HE rounds.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perceived recoil may be different, but at the end of the day it's still equal and opposite forces.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Fucking magnets
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
it seems a coil gun type naval artillery piece could be better than the rail gun they built.   the whole thing abou tthe rails being converted to plasma...

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge no ones solved the rail erosion problem yet. Thinking of how precise those rails have to be, it makes for some rediculously expensive sacrificial components.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I wonder if it would be possible to have a coil assisted conventional firearm. I.E. gun that fires a bullet as normal but picks up added velocity down the barrel via coil acceleration.

Or the early 80s DARPA project to develop "ramjet" rounds-use the coil propulsion to get the rounds up to speed so the solid fuel ramjet can take over.

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge no ones solved the rail erosion problem yet. Thinking of how precise those rails have to be, it makes for some rediculously expensive sacrificial components.

theres probably some alloys yet to be developed and such.

i kinda want to build a coil gun using a car battery, stereo cap, and fires 5.56 bullets

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless the battery is good for several thousand charges...

And with solid projectiles without a cartridge, your cartridge options increase dramatically.

I'd rather carry an extra battery when  Ihave the option of carrying a wide array of ammunition, from frangible ammunition to KE penetrators to HE rounds.

How about nano tube carbon fiber batteries/capacitors charged by anything from plug in chargers to the energy created by a moving human being?  
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea.

But you've provoked me to find out ,because now I am looking at my wallet and thinking how cool it would be to make one that takes AR magazines.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The recoil will be less than a chemical-powered weapon, because the gas escaping the muzzle also causes recoil (like a rocket motor).
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't seem to be correct. That projectile would have 400 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle, and the glasses he shot were maybe 15 feet away.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't seem to be correct. That projectile would have 400 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle, and the glasses he shot were maybe 15 feet away.

That would make his 1.25 kJ gun about 40% efficient.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

No, nothing to do with the Metalstorm concept.

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#32]
What's weird is that the projectiles seem to be stabilized.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took 500 fps from the first poster and 800 grain because the bullet looks 3-4 times bigger than a .45 bullet.  Maybe I overestimated.

Quoted:
What's weird is that the projectiles seem to be stabilized.

I would bet that the length of the bullets help to stabilize them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think so.  Watch the vid, and the projectile gets stuck in a desk lamp?  After watching subsonic .22 bullets go through a semi-frozen turkey at 200 yards, I would think an 800gr (bigger than .50 BMG) at 500 fps would do a lot better than bouncing off of a toaster oven.  His projectile is ass heavy, and unstable (not spin stabilized).
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#35]
We need a build thread.

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

theres probably some alloys yet to be developed and such.

i kinda want to build a coil gun using a car battery, stereo cap, and fires 5.56 bullets

The obvious answer is magnetic or sonic levitation.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Yeah, that reminded me of this:

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted: Fucking magnets
The problem will be interference with radar, radio, and satellite antennas. Can you imagine the havok any magnetic weapon will wreak on your own side when you figure out the strength of the fields. It might ruin your cell phone.

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#39]
So, is the ATF watching this video and scratching their heads trying to figure out how to regulate it?  Wait til some kid builds an automatic one- possession of a magnet will be intent to build a machine gun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
We need a build thread.

Definitely. Awesome video.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#41]
This is by far the best home built coil gun I've seen yet. Can't wait to see how far this concept can go. I wonder how long it will be before people start clamoring for laws about this.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Where is Keith J when we need him? I wonder if we could do a group r&d and how to on this?
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#43]
What are the legalities to building one?

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is by far the best home built coil gun I've seen yet. Can't wait to see how far this concept can go. I wonder how long it will be before people start clamoring for laws about this.

The charging power value and red to green light made me wonder if something similiar will be implemented in a military gun someday.   I could see waiting a ridiculously long time with a nearly drained battery, hoping it charges quick enough to get off a shot.  

Also brings up other ideas, like plugging into a non-portable power block in a fixed position, or into a vehicle outlet.

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#45]

I want to see this used against something more threating than glass.  Lets try some watermelons

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

None. At least federally.

It would be illegal to hunt with in WI. We ave some weird law that it's illegal to hunt with any "electric weapon".
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be illegal to hunt with in WI. We ave some weird law that it's illegal to hunt with any "electric weapon".

Interesting
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if there is a law about it there is a good chance some one tried it i want to know who was deer hunting with a stun gun.

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OR projectiles and a nuclear power supply.

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Now they just need to build one of these to mount it on.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top