Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2010 1:42:32 PM EDT
Pictures in link.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/09/democratic-party-steals-logo-from-the-pizza-place-where-i-used-to-work/63020/

The Democratic Party unveiled a new logo this morning, and, seeing the
new insignia for the first time today on the party's revamped website,
I thought it looked familiar.

Not without reason. It
suspiciously resembles the logo for the pizza place where I used to
work in St. Louis––a small independent chain called Dewey's Pizza, based in Ohio.

I wore a t-shirt bearing this logo multiple nights a
week for the better part of a year, and it's good to see that the
Democratic Party has found aesthetic virtue in it. I always felt lame
in the shirt, but hey...

I hope to obtain an
explanation of this brazen thievery at some point from the Democratic
National Committee, but they're probably busy right now with Chairman
Tim Kaine delivering a speech at George Washington University.*

It
also seems dubious how the owner of Dewey's, Andrew E. DeWitt of
Cincinnati, would feel about the newfangled DNC crest. He's a
Republican donor, having given money to Bush/Cheney in '04, Mitt Romney
in '08, Ohio Rep. Jean Schmidt (R) this year, and multiple state
Republican parties along the way. (Donations which, technically, I
aided by moving so many pizzas for Mr. DeWitt with my ninja-like
serving skills.)

Maybe Democrats are simply
honing in on the insigniatic success of a Midwestern small business.
The logo has already been message-tested in Ohio, Kentucky, and
Missouri, where Dewey's operates, and in the boom year of 2006 (a good
year for Democrats, too), those pizzas were selling fast.

The font on the "D" is pretty similar. I'm just saying.

*UPDATE:
My hunch was correct. A Democratic National Committee spokeswoman declined to comment on the undeniably striking resemblance.

Edit: For backdrop story.

Today was the day that the Democratic big surprise on how they are going hold congress. Everybody that is into politics was waiting for this and what we got was a stupid logo that copied from a pizza joint. The Democratic Party think that changing their logo will help them hold congress. You have to go full retard to think this shit up.

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/09/15/dncs-bombshell-major-announcement-revealed-theyve-got-a-new-logo/

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if serious.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Logo redistribution, it's for the children.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to trademark the number 17 so no one can use it...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
So Arfcom stole their from George Lucas.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]
So much thought went into both logos.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not sure a d in a circle is really original work at this point....
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#7]
A D inside a 0.  Fitting for them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a D in a circle, not anything special.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#9]
its a small chain in ohio. unless there is evidence that the designers were aware of the pizza logo, this is silly. as someone who has designed logos, coincidence is more likely.

either way, they both suck.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure if serious. A circle with a "D" in it?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A D inside a 0.  Fitting for them.

I believe the zero is the correct choice here.  It may look like a circle but it really is a zero.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#12]

DERP

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#13]
In other news, the Greeks stole the letter 't' from the Christians.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh, yeah. It matters alright.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Does not register on my give-a-fuck meter.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1

Different font, proportion size, color.  Its not the same logo, who gives a fuck.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Not sure if serious. A circle with a "D" in it?

Makes as much sense as LaRue stealing a number from Arms.  Stupid, but you'd be surprised, or maybe not, at what's actionable in today's litigious society.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I nominate this for the dumbest post of the day away. I also nominate it for the most pointless thing EVER to be considered news.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#19]
LOL...

come on you republicans... your stretching a bit this time.

its a D inside a circle... so what?

im a graphic designer by trade, this is not "stealing" a logo, they are 2 different logos that are the same basic crappy logos.

If you looked hard enough there are probably dozens of companies with this same idea logo.

it is a crappy logo, but hey they are politicians... not graphic designers.  

then again people who pay attention to politics tend not to have a very good sense of design, democrat OR republican.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

In other news, the Greeks stole the letter 't' from the Christians.

Those fuckers!

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LOL...

come on you republicans...

Oh! Are you one of our new resident liberal lurkers?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Or from Interplay?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

LOL...

Do you see anyone here, I mean ANYONE, agreeing with him?  LOL yourself.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
LOL...

im a graphic designer by trade, this is not "stealing" a logo, they are 2 different logos that are the same basic crappy logos.

If you looked hard enough there are probably dozens of companies with this same idea logo.

then again people who pay attention to politics tend not to have a very good sense of design, democrat OR republican.

Dude, the guy writing the article is commenting on how STUPID the new Democrat logo is.  Yeah, small pizza chain logo = stupid.  Democrats using similar lame logo = massively stupid.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Mmmmmm, Dewey's Pizza.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#26]
That guy is smoking something.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL...

lol nope.

im one of the resident "all of you people are nuts, republican/democrat/liberal whatever."

Everyone of your stupid political parties has something retarded going on.  So Im just sitting back and collecting my guns and taking care of my own business and family while I watch you fools destroy the country.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL...

Dude, the guy writing the article is commenting on how STUPID the new Democrat logo is.  Yeah, small pizza chain logo = stupid.  Democrats using similar lame logo = massively stupid.

Funny, I thought the article was about them "stealing" the logo, just like the title said.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#29]
As a graphic designer, both those logos were so simple, I don't care what you did with them, you can't really say it was plagiarized.

The Democrat D logo is bold, but (typical for a Lefty) uses weak colors. Can't appear too butch, you know.

The Dewey's Pizza logo has a much thinner rule around it. Different sans serif font, too.

Bottom line is, both logos could likely be traced to an earlier "D" in a circle logo. Probably from a hundred or more years ago.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
LOL...

As with the Obama "O" logo and his "HOPE" and "CHANGE" posters, the "D" logo was likely done by a talented leftard graphic designer. Or even an agency.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They have a jackass for their mascot, does their logo really matter?

I'm talking about their animal mascot, not the president for you third graders.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL...

As with the Obama "O" logo and his "HOPE" and "CHANGE" posters, the "D" logo was likely done by a talented leftard graphic designer. Or even an agency.

The Obama logos werent too bad as far as logos go these days... still kind of "smack you over the head with how patriotic we are"  

But that D logo looks like a Monkey did it.   I wonder how much money some of these idiots donated to pay for that. I would have done it for HALF that.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL...

lol nope.

im one of the resident "all of you people are nuts, republican/democrat/liberal whatever."

Everyone of your stupid political parties has something retarded going on.  So Im just sitting back and collecting my guns and taking care of my own business and family while I watch you fools destroy the country.

Well, thanks for being part of the solution.  Now, buzz off.

Edited to add:  lol

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL...

lol nope.

meh, the way I see it, if more people (like me) stopped trying to control the country and enact new laws and bring religion into government and create new taxes and stick their nose into others business... then the world WOULD be a better place.

so the way i see it, i AM being part of the solution, and you are being part of the problem.

oh yea... and more taxes for rich people and less for middle class.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Obama logos werent too bad as far as logos go these days... still kind of "smack you over the head with how patriotic we are"  

But that D logo looks like a Monkey did it.   I wonder how much money some of these idiots donated to pay for that. I would have done it for HALF that.

The D logo is decidedly Euro. For reasons I am sure are very clear to them, they were definitely going for more of a European look.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL...

lol nope.

meh, the way I see it, if more people (like me) stopped trying to control the country and enact new laws and bring religion into government and create new taxes and stick their nose into others business... then the world WOULD be a better place.

so the way i see it, i AM being part of the solution, and you are being part of the problem.

Oh geez. Arfcom tolerates the antireligious... But more taxes? I predict your stay will be nasty, brutish and short...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

LOL...

You probably aren't current in the news. Here is the deal.

Today was the Democrats huge announcement on how they're going to hold congress for 2010. Everyone on both side was wondering what's the big surprise. Well we found out it is a stupid new logo that was copied from a Pizza joint. That's what the Republican is laughing about. Clueless Democrats.

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/09/15/dncs-bombshell-major-announcement-revealed-theyve-got-a-new-logo/

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL...

lol nope.

Oh geez. Arfcom tolerates the antireligious... But more taxes? I predict your stay will be nasty, brutish and short...

Who said I was anti-religious?  

I just believe in the separation of church and state.  the COMPLETE separation of it.  The two have no business together.  

And your right, I said that incorrectly... I don't approve of MORE taxes... I just think that if anyone should get a tax break first it should be the middle class.  Not the "upper" class.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
LOL...

You probably aren't current in the news. Here is the deal.

Today was the Democrats huge announcement on how they're going to hold congress for 2010. Everyone on both side was wondering what's the big surprise. Well we found out it is a stupid new logo that was copied from a Pizza joint. That's what the Republican is laughing about. Clueless Democrats.

Your right, I dont pay too much attention to it.  

Now I get the joke...  I still dont see how it was "copied" from a pizza joint though.  Its just a similar logo. Albeit a particularly crappy one.

Edit...

I prefer that new article.  It does a better job of explaining the joke to us people who aren't on the "in"

even if i do have to read the thinly veiled propaganda and mud slinging with it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#40]
maybe this logo would be more befitting, in an attempt to re-brand themselves??

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL...

lol nope.

I just believe in the separation of church and state.  the COMPLETE separation of it.  The two have no business together.  

And your right, I said that incorrectly... I don't approve of MORE taxes... I just think that if anyone should get a tax break first it should be the middle class.  Not the "upper" class.

I give you a dollar if you can show me where in the constitution it says "the separation of church and state"

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL...

lol nope.

I give you a dollar if you can show me where in the constitution it says "the separation of church and state"

Who said anything about the constitution?
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:39:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Bump 'cuz there's a semi-dupe
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:50:56 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Bump 'cuz there's a semi-dupe

I'll post these here too.....

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:57:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Looks like good target material.

I hope they're printed on heavy stock.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:03:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
LOL...

This means you dont follow politics and need to STFU?,,,is that what your saying?...Im sorry I didn't understand your statement because people who follow graphic design are not good at critical or logical thinking and like to make wide assumptions that make them sound like liberal fucks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#47]
I didn't catch much new yesterday.

Was this seriously the big announcement they were pumping up all week?

"D"

Same shit, now with extra nuts!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Can't spell douche without  DO.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:09:25 AM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#50]
So
Your avatar is a stolen logo
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top