Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/9/2010 4:46:25 PM EDT
I know there are riders on here as well as Harley haters. I am having a hard time talking myself out of one of these.  It looks to be a no frills, no nonsense, cruiser for a great price.  I know HD is facing serious economic woes, as well.  $7999 is a great price point, and its a great looking machine, IMO.  
I am 6'0", 185 pounds.  Is this frame too small for a man of my stature?  I dont want to dwarf the bike when Im on it and look silly.  Anyone have experience with this model?  Any and all comments would be appreciated

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/iron-883.html

Update-Thanks for the input guys. Now that I know I can get intelligent thoughts, I will expound. I will not be taking any trips in it at all. I am in Lubbock TX which is fairly isolated. Not going to Amarillo by morning. This will be used as a alternative means to get around town, to work, or cruise at night. If I can get 150 miles off of one tank, it will be much better MPG than my tahoe! I am concerned about the lack of power it may have, but at that price point, shouldnt I be willing to compromise?

Many have mentioned the 1200. One of the main draws of the Iron is its look. By my knowledge, the features of the iron, denim colors, etc arent available on a 1200, are they? I see the nightster, close, but not exact. I love that understated, matte color of the iron. I know it seems like Im answering my own question, but I just wanted to shed a little light on the bikes intended use. %100 in town, cruising at 40 mph. Maybe get on the loop to get to the other side of town, at 60 mph.

As for the chick bike comments, Im not buying it to audition for Sons of Anarchy.... So...Jog on.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#1]
That's not a bad price for any new motorcycle. You might be disappointed by the low power of the 883, though. It's not going to be much of a "cruiser" if it's gasping for breath up every hill.

ETA: The Motor Company™ says the 883 puts out 55 lb-ft of torque at 3,500 RPM. That's 37 HP. My 1977 BMW R75/7, a 750cc twin, had 49 HP.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Everyone that I know that got a 883 never had it for more then a year. If it's what you want, it's your money do what you want with it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm 6'5" 185 and the dealer flat refused to sell me a Sportster.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I know there are riders on here as well as Harley haters. I am having a hard time talking myself out of one of these.  It looks to be a no frills, no nonsense, cruiser for a great price.  I know HD is facing serious economic woes, as well.  $7999 is a great price point, and its a great looking machine, IMO.  

I am 6'0", 185 pounds.  Is this frame too small for a man of my stature?  I dont want to dwarf the bike when Im on it and look silly.  Anyone have experience with this model?  Any and all comments would be appreciated

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/iron-883.html

There is a guy at work that is at least 6' and he rides his wife's 883 to work often. He looks fine

on it, but note that I said his wife's bike. He has a fully dressed Harley also. I think you should

look for a 1200 at least, The price is too high. I would look for a little used one for far less

than that. The 883 is weak.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#5]
if you are loking for something to use around town, it's is fine. You are a little tall for it. If you want something to go on long rides you will hate it. I owned a 883. I hated long rides. Currently on a 92 fatboy, I'll go anywhere on that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

At your height you would have looked ridiculous on a Sportster.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the 1200 at least.  You'll soon come to regret getting the 883.
ETA:  You can find tons of lightly used Harleys at awesome prices right now, some a year or two old.  There's really no good reason to buy a new Harley at the moment.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#8]

http://www.xlforum.net

The ARFCOM of Sportsters

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Iron head sportsters are 1000cc.

8 grand for ANY sportster ain't a deal.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Good looking bike, but you will want the 1200.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get the 1200 at least.  You'll soon come to regret getting the 883.

This.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]
The Iron is not a 'cruiser'. It's actually pretty uncomfortable on anything more than around town. At your height and weight, I would be looking at the Dyna's or Softails. I had a Nightster, which is the Iron but with the bigger 1200cc motor and I wanted a bigger bike within 6 months of buying it. I ended up with an '07 Night Train (Softail) that my wife and I have been very happy with.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the Iron 883, but most will tell you it's either a beginners bike or a chick bike.  If HD is still offering full trade-in on Sportsters, you have nothing to lose by riding it a year and deciding to keep it or trade up.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#15]
It will be too small and feel really slow and under powered. 1200 min or try to find a Dyna at least.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Chick bike
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I had one as my first Harley, I liked it a lot, really enjoyed it. The 883 will be enough power for you (by yourself) after a programmer, air intake, and pipe. Mine really woke up after these upgrades. After I got married the two of us were not comfortable on the bike together.

Around here the top speed is 65 on the highways, I could cruise at 70 all day without problem. Decent mileage too. Seriously consider a used one since there are a ton at great prices right now.

ETA: and the 1200 would be nicer, but it is more important to stick to your budget.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Harley rider for 25 years here. I started on a 1985 Low Rider and stil have it. Never owned a Sporty, but I have rideen many. This is my .02:

Go for the 1200, or better yet, save up for a Dyna or a Softail. You will be glad you did. Especially if you are going to have a passenger even occaisionally
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I was in your shoes about two months ago. I decided to spend a bit more money and buy a couple year old Dyna Superglide Custom.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#21]
883 = BITCH BIKE BUY IT IF YOU WANT TO BE LAUGHED AT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#22]
harley 48
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
883 = BITCH BIKE BUY IT IF YOU WANT TO BE LAUGHED AT

That make you feel like a man?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Look in the used market.  There are some great deals out there from distressed sellers for that kind of money.

For example:
This 2000 HARLEY DAVIDSON SOFT TAIL DEUCE on cragislist for $7,500.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#25]
The 2nd biggest problem with the 883s (besides the power - which may or may not be a problem for you) is the size of the gas tank.  

Too small.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Look in the used market.  There are some great deals out there from distressed sellers for that kind of money.

For example:
This 2000 HARLEY DAVIDSON SOFT TAIL DEUCE on cragislist for $7,500.
http://images.craigslist.org/3k03of3ld5V45T35U1a9632905feb554a1359.jpg

This x's infinity
Everyone is dumping their toys right now. My boy picked up a used Big dog Pit Bull For 8k.
Don't limit your search to just your area and you will have more options. Also try biketrader.com.
Good luck, and yes you will be too large for a sporty. (No hate for them though, I personally love them all)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#27]
883s are slow.  Fine for an urban environment, but not much fun above ~45mph.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
883s are slow.  Fine for an urban environment, but not much fun above ~45mph.

For allahs sake it's not a vespa!

Two of my buddies have 883's and they have no problem maintaining 80mph.  

Sporty's are a little rough at highway speeds because of the 5 speed, but the rubber motor mounts combat the majority of vibration

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK I'll say it, its a girls bike! If you want a cruiser 1200cc and up, mostly up. There are many used bikes on the market in that price range that you won't outgrow in a week.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I had one of the new rubber mounted 883 Sportsters for a while before I moved to dual sport bikes.  I liked it just fine and it was fun.  What really helped was rejetting it, putting on a screaming eagle air intake/cleaner and Screaming eagle pipes.  It really opened it up power wise.  I have had 1200's also.  Yes, they had more punch but I still enjoyed the 883.  Where it really struggled is if I ever took someone for a ride.  It really didn't have the poop to do that well, but by myself, it was fast enough to get you hurt.

Patrick
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 6'3 & 265lbs (No not pure muscle like everyone else on ARFCOM. ), & I felt pretty ridiculous on my friends Dyna Low Rider. I was using the highway pegs for standard foot pegs & bringing my feet back to the shifter & brake when I needed them. Glad we only switched for a few miles, my Fat Boy was so much more comfortable.

BTW OP Like most have suggested, you ought to pass on the 883. You'll be wanting something bigger next year, & 883's are mostly chic bikes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

or a Dyna

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I had one of the new rubber mounted 883 Sportsters for a while before I moved to dual sport bikes.  I liked it just fine and it was fun.  What really helped was rejetting it, putting on a screaming eagle air intake/cleaner and Screaming eagle pipes.  It really opened it up power wise.  I have had 1200's also.  Yes, they had more punch but I still enjoyed the 883.  Where it really struggled is if I ever took someone for a ride.  It really didn't have the poop to do that well, but by myself, it was fast enough to get you hurt.

Patrick

Poop thread?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's not a bad price for any new motorcycle. You might be disappointed by the low power of the 883, though. It's not going to be much of a "cruiser" if it's gasping for breath up every hill.

ETA: The Motor Company™ says the 883 puts out 55 lb-ft of torque at 3,500 RPM. That's 37 HP. My 1977 BMW R75/7, a 750cc twin, had 49 HP.

At the OP's weight, he won't have problems.   I weight more and until recently had a VStar 650.  It NEVER had a problem getting me ANYWHERE.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the input guys.  Now that I know I can get intelligent thoughts, I will expound.  I will not be taking any trips in it at all.  I am in Lubbock TX which is fairly isolated.  Not going to Amarillo by morning.  This will be used as a alternative means to get around town, to work, or cruise at night.  If I can get 150 miles off of one tank, it will be much better MPG than my tahoe! I am concerned about the lack of power it may have, but at that price point, shouldnt I be willing to compromise?

Many have mentioned the 1200.  One of the main draws of the Iron is its look.  By my knowledge, the features of the iron, denim colors, etc arent available on a 1200, are they?  I see the nightster, close, but not exact.  I love that understated, matte color of the iron.  I know it seems like Im answering my own question, but I just wanted to shed a little light on the bikes intended use.  %100 in town, cruising at 40 mph.  Maybe get on the loop to get to the other side of town, at 60 mph.

As for the chick bike comments, Im not buying it to audition for Sons of Anarchy.... So...Jog on.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#36]
its not a chick bike its a sportster. Its for a different ride than the behemoth machines.

That is a nice looking bike, similar to the nightster that you could pick up used for probably cheaper in a 1200.

(that might not do you for the other options though..)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I like the Iron 883, but most will tell you it's either a beginners bike or a chick bike.  If HD is still offering full trade-in on Sportsters, you have nothing to lose by riding it a year and deciding to keep it or trade up.

That trade in was called the 883 Ride Free Guarantee many, many, many years ago when I took a chance and bought one.  It ran perfectly and I drove it all over Texas for a year and then sold it to a guy 8" shorter than me who honestly looked better on it.  My only issue was the seat cushion material, which had all of the comfort of cast iron.  I replaced that and it really changed the bike.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#38]
an iron headed sporty for 8 grand? His the classified papers and save yourself a few grand
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#39]
You're getting it for all the right reasons.

Many can't accept that there are other options out there besides "stereotypical crotch rocket" and "big, loud cruiser."
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Sounds like the upgrades will really help the power issue.  Pipes and filter intake...what else?  What can I expect to spend on those two upgrades all told? If they are as essential as they sound, I want to go ahead and factor them in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've never been interested in Harleys, but yeah. I always heard guys regretting not getting the 1200.

The 883 was sort of considered a reasonably quick bike back when it was introduced

It was reasonably quick.

The only issue is the small fuel tank, but I replaced the tank when I replaced the seat, and it would hold just shy of 5 gallons, and the bike would get 45 mpg all day long, so that was good enough for rural Texas.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You're getting it for all the right reasons.

Many can't accept that there are other options out there besides "stereotypical crotch rocket" and "big, loud cruiser."

No joke.  Hadnt even bought it yet and Im catching flack.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sounds like the upgrades will really help the power issue.  Pipes and filter intake...what else?  What can I expect to spend on those two upgrades all told? If they are as essential as they sound, I want to go ahead and factor them in.

Better seat, larger tank.  And you are done.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#44]
skirtster is the appropriate name.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I appreciate your input throughout this thread, along with the others who have offered intelligent thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't know much about them except that I really want one.  Saddly it is slightly out of my reach right now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Sportsters are good for smaller framed people.  Of the new bikes I like the Dynas.  I would get a used machine.  You might want to look at a bike called the FXR, they run smooth and handle well, but they haven't been in production for a while.  They have the Evo engine that I prefer over the Twin Cam.  They are like the Big Twin version of a Sportster.  In my opinion the best machine Harley has ever made.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Damn, my dirtbike makes more power than that and weighs less than half as much.  I can't imagine how slow that bike must feel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I appreciate your input throughout this thread, along with the others who have offered intelligent thoughts.

Unless you have the build of a spider monkey (because 883s are smaller), they are in an odd sweet spot –– they do what they do well and they don't really do anything badly.  They are a great bike for people who aren't doing odd things (like riding to Alaska, tomorrow) or dealing with various personality issues (the people in this thread who seem to have gender identification problems based on engine displacement).  They actually remind me a lot of older Hondas singles in a way –– they don't have a lot of power, but they really do everything pretty well.  Sort of the .257 Roberts of bikes, if you will.  Buy it, fix a few things if you want (or not) (the fuel tank was an issue with me because I would ride all night to Taos from Houston if I felt the urge), and RIDE IT and HAVE FUN.  And have that fun more cheaply, too.  More money for good tires, good beer, and your broker at Merrill.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're dead set on the 883, this is my recommendation as well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top