Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 7:35:40 AM EDT
What's the best relief?  Woke up and ran 40 minutes with my wife, and now my lower back is killing me. In supermarket now; found some medicated heat pads but no pills. Thought they made some back pain meds with pain reliever and muscle relaxer?  

Heading to Navy-MD game in a bit, would like to be able to enjoy it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The best thing you can get OTC is ibuprofen.  Prescriptions are often written for 800 mg (equivalent of four normal OTC tabs) per dose, up to three times per 24-hour period.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a thread for Jarhead_Chiro...

Rest, ice, pain relievers. If it's really bad and you don't have the good scheduled stuff, alternating ibuprofen and acetaminophen works pretty good for me, but it's hard on the liver and kidneys if you do it for an extended time.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Im a big fan of Aleve for back pain.

For me that works about 10 times better than ibuprofen.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The best thing you can get OTC is ibuprofen.  Prescriptions are often written for 800 mg (equivalent of four normal OTC tabs) per dose, up to three times per 24-hour period.  

This. If it persists you need to go see a Doc and get some imagery done.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Since you're going to a game. Your best bet is to stick to an NSAID like Ibuprofen.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#7]
flexaryl......if not that....800mg advil......take pad for seat and if you have a lumbar brace.....wear it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What's the best relief?  Woke up and ran 40 minutes with my wife, and now my lower back is killing me. In supermarket now; found some medicated heat pads but no pills.

DO NOT HEAT AN ACUTE INJURY!!!!!

Heat and inflammation work together!!

Your injured tissue is already inflamed and producing heat of its own............if you add more heat you promote more inflammation and get more pain!!!!

Initially the heat feels good because it's the skin that lies to your brain because the skin likes heat.  But the underlying tissue gets the extra heat too and makes the pain/swelling MUCH WORSE.

Cold packs............on for 20 mins...........off for 20 mins...............do this for a few hours.

Reassess

That'll be $50 for the Consultation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Vicodin, lots of it. Don't wait until it spreads to your rib cage.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#10]
advil and those self heating wraps that go on your back. thermocare I believe they are called.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the best relief?  Woke up and ran 40 minutes with my wife, and now my lower back is killing me. In supermarket now; found some medicated heat pads but no pills.

DO NOT HEAT AN ACUTE INJURY!!!!!

Heat and inflammation work together!!

Damn, so the thermacare heat pad I've had on my back for the last 8 hours was a bad move?

Advil helped a bit but it's still pretty torqued up.  Sitting is o.k. but walking around and bending really sucks.  That, and Navy was terrible.

So, no heating pad tonight, ice instead?  I'll give that a try.

Not sure why the run this morning brought this on; I usually do 30 minutes 3x a week no issues.  Normally I'm in the gym doing deadlifts or squats when I jack it up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top