Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/1/2010 12:04:07 AM EDT
i'll just leave this here

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100831/sc_yblog_upshot/noted-anti-global-warming-scientist-reverses-course

With scientific data piling up showing that the world has reached its hottest-ever point in recorded history, global-warming skeptics are facing a high-profile defection from their ranks. Bjorn Lomborg, author of the influential tract "The Skeptical Environmentalist," has reversed course on the urgency of global warming, and is now calling for action on "a challenge humanity must confront."
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:09:00 AM EDT
[#2]
The surface of the Earth cools by convection, not radiation.  The "Greenhouse Gas Hypothesis" is smashed with that one little fact.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#4]
there are a lot of people here who dont believe in global warming but I do... somewhat.

We release billions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels like oil and coal which was previously locked away underground, it must have some effect.

Scientists believe the earth was a lot hotter during the dinosaur age because of carbon dioxide and other gasses released by increased valcanic activity. The carbon was locked away at the bottom of the oceans in the form of dead plankton, which eventualy turned into OIL which we are now burning. If they are right, we will be screwed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
there are a lot of people here who dont believe in global warming but I do... somewhat.

We release billions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels like oil and coal which was previously locked away underground, it must have some effect.

Scientists believe the earth was a lot hotter during the dinosaur age/s because of carbon dioxide and other gasses released by increased valcanic activity. The carbon was locked away at the bottom of the oceans in the form of dead plankton, which eventualy turned into OIL which we are now burning. If they are right, we will be screwed.

They aren't, we're fine.  Last time around, we were supposed to die in an ice age.  In twenty years, it'll be giant killer ants.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#6]
You mean all the evidence that the UN Panel on Climate Change has found was all made up?

CLIMATE CHANGE LIES ARE EXPOSED
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Someone must have gotten something on him.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:22:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Scientists believe the earth was a lot hotter during the dinosaur age/s because of carbon dioxide and other gasses released by increased valcanic activity. The carbon was locked away at the bottom of the oceans in the form of dead plankton, which eventualy turned into OIL which we are now burning. If they are right, we will be screwed.
No, we don't.  It was not "a lot hotter" during the ages of the dinosaurs.  3 whole degrees warmer.  

How much carbon is there in the world?

How much of that carbon has been released?

How much carbon remains?

What is the largest non-carbonate rock source of carbon?

When you find the correct answers to these questions, then I will reply.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:23:39 AM EDT
[#9]
climate change is real. it has been doing it since the atmoshpere formed.  man made limate change is bullshit.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

climate change is real. it has been doing it since the atmoshpere formed. man made limate change is bullshit.

I for one, blame the Sun and planetary movement.

Also, Sue Grafton.

I don't think Sue causes it, just that I blame her.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

climate change is real. it has been doing it since the climate formed.  man made limate change is bullshit.
Vic, you are correct.  After all, where would all that ground water in the Sahara Desert come from?  Or the whale bones there?  But even the great deserts of the Earth aren't due to CO2 but rather from orbital wobble with a period of ~20k years.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100831/sc_yblog_upshot/noted-anti-global-warming-scientist-reverses-course

With scientific data piling up showing that the world has reached its hottest-ever point in recorded history, global-warming skeptics are facing a high-profile defection from their ranks. Bjorn Lomborg, author of the influential tract "The Skeptical Environmentalist," has reversed course on the urgency of global warming, and is now calling for action on "a challenge humanity must confront."

Nice propaganda.  He was never one of the main sceptics.  He was a liberal hippie douchebag greenpeace junk scientist that got convinced to rejoin the herd.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#13]
So is true love.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:40:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Scientists believe the earth was a lot hotter during the dinosaur age because of carbon dioxide and other gasses released by increased valcanic activity. The carbon was locked away at the bottom of the oceans in the form of dead plankton, which eventualy turned into OIL which we are now burning. If they are right, we will be screwed.

I bet Volcanoes bother the hell out of you then, too?

They release a whole slew of shit into the air, more than we can.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

climate change is real. it has been doing it since the atmoshpere formed. man made limate change is bullshit.

Also, Sue Grafton.

Yeah, go for the trivial solution!!!!  Well, planetary motion isn't trivial but that ball of fusing hydrogen 93 million miles away is our source of heat.  And most all energy (wind, hydroelectric, coal, gas, petroleum...).

The hypothetical idea carbon dioxide is responsible for the lapse rate is absurd.  All you need to do is look at composition of each distinct layer of the atmosphere to see there really isn't much of a difference in the "permanent gases" (discounting water vapor, a GAS which exists primarily in the Troposphere but it also forms noctilucent clouds in the Mesosphere).  Then look at the distinction of each layer of the atmosphere, the predominant heat rejection method is logical.

The Troposphere is so named because it mixes.  And convection rules its heat rejection mode.  The Stratosphere, again as the name implies, is stratified with the coldest being at the end of the Tropopause.  So radiation is the primary heat rejection mode.  Above of the Stratopause, there is the Mesosphere.  This layer is also a mixing layer but being the middle atmosphere, its name is on location and not nature.  And it has a lapse rate, meaning the primary heat rejection mode is again convection. And there can be clouds, the noctilucent  (night light) type but they only exist in the summer months.

So now, work up a 4 dimensional computational fluid dynamics model with an overlay of a finite element model for the boundary layers where mode changes happen.  And FEM for the radiation heat transfer. Set boundary conditions as varied as the Earth's, then change the composition.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn goober, you haven't even tried to look up my questions...no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Im not sure about global warming, but as a preventative I do know that we must double and triple the cost of energy thus bankrupting our country and stifling growth for a century or more. Makes perfect sense to me.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Im not sure about global warming, but as a preventative I do know that we must double and triple the cost of energy thus bankrupting our country and stifling growth for a century or more. Makes perfect sense to me.

Ah, a tornado chaser has entered ThunderDome!  Do you chose to spar?  With whom?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:48:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, a tornado chaser has entered ThunderDome!  Do you chose to spar?  With whom?

Easy buddy we are on the same page.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:54:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easy buddy we are on the same page.

I know .  Tornadoes are the epitome of convection.  You of all people would know that.

Mike12345 has been docked, cut and dehorned.  Now he is back to mommy.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Global warming is just a religion like any other. Facts don't matter because the believers have already made up their minds.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:08:53 AM EDT
[#24]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_M._Gray

Really cool old man. I have had dinner and cocktails with him and sat in on his lectures.

He is the worlds leading expert on tropical storms. Known in weather circles as the father of Hurricanes. He says its all BS and politically driven. He claims to have been "invited into the limo" as he states it.

His take on it as I can sum it up is, there isn't enough data to substantiate such claims, so then why are they beating me over the head with it, trying to get me on board?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:40:53 AM EDT
[#25]
What a job you must have Keith, to keep these hours...

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:47:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Global cooling Global warming Climate change is real. Come on admit it. It has taken place without the influence of modern man and will continue to do so after we are gone from this planet. All these douche nozzles are doing is trying to lend credence to their idea that we humans are more "important" than we really are in the grand scheme of things. They scream loudly because they are somebody. At least in their own feeble minds anyway.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:24:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Them Danish bastards are easy to buy and sell.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:34:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, Sue Grafton.

What did Kinsey Milhone ever do to you?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:48:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Recorded history?

Meh.

How about considering the millenniums of unrecorded history before mankind existed when the earth was far warmer than it is today and there were no icecaps at all ?

Not to mention the multitude of ice age/heating cycles throughout geological time during which there was no human activity at all.

ETA: I don't even buy the "recorded history" bullshil; it's based on intentionally tainted data.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:55:09 AM EDT
[#30]
We actually have a global warming fanboy left here?
:laughing and pointing:

HA HA!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:10:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If  the Earth is getting warmer now than it ever has been, then how do you explain fossilized dinosaur bones found in Alaska and other Northern climates?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:13:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Again, showing how some weather condition is evidence of anthropogenic global warming climate change.   My biggest challenge to believers of that B.S. is this:

What weather conditions DO NOT indicate anthropogenic global warming climate change?

The watermelons are trying to play a shell game with civilization.  Obfuscate the facts and get big names in on it, and pull one over on the entire population of the planet!  It's not about saving the world, it's about CONTROL.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:45:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

climate change is real. it has been doing it since the atmoshpere formed.  man made limate change is bullshit.  

this is the correct answer but the kool aid drinkers will never get it

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:53:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

this is the correct answer but the kool aid drinkers will never get it  

I disagree.  The climate fluctuates to warmer and cooler periods.  That is what I consider to be normal.  If the temperature became relatively constant for an extended period of time, I would consider that to be a change in the normal cycle.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:56:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Idiot the earth warming is fairly obvious, That it is our fault it is warming and not just a part of the natural warming and cooling cycles is not and can not be answered so easy. Then assuming we are the cause of the earths warming why is it such a problem, the earth has formed ways to regulate it's temperature long before we were one cell organism's?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:58:35 AM EDT
[#36]
A sure way to shut down the global warming crowd, is to give them a nuclear winter.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:00:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren't, we're fine.  Last time around, we were supposed to die in an ice age.  In twenty years, it'll be giant killer ants.

What round for giant killer ants?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:01:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah Time even had it on their cover decades ago about the pending ice age that was supposed to hit before now. Most of the same "scientists" were as sure about that as they are now about global warming. You would think one huge mistake like that would show them their hubris but no their audacity knows no bounds.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sure - it probably has SOME effect indeed.   But given the politicized, propagandized, and perversified nature of how progressives make their argument (and lie, cheat and steal to "support" that argument with questionable or outright fabricated data sets) destroys the entire argument.  We don't know if the "effect" actually warms the earth, cools it, or just acts as another toxin to the existing lifeforms on Earth.    And given their record of "scientific research," we'll never know (but they'll continue to speculate that the ONLY solution involves taking America back to the pre-industrial age and paying for the fix via tax dollars, no matter what).

Try to find the single statement of truth in a pathological liar's fiction novel, and you'll indeed find the Truth about Global Warming.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:03:46 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't believe you.  I have no evidence, no knowledge....hell what was this about again?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:07:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Keith_J is my hero.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:10:05 AM EDT
[#42]
You do realize that Mt. Saint Helen put more CO2/CO and particulate in the atmosphere in 2 days than all of mankind...ever...

Right?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:12:05 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

If  the Earth is getting warmer now than it ever has been, then how do you explain fossilized dinosaur bones found in Alaska and other Northern climates?

Magnets...

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:12:20 AM EDT
[#44]
I hope global warming is real because all those liberal faggots live on the coasts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:14:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:18:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Killer ants have already been done.  Them AND killer bees.  Don't you remember the 70's?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:20:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
climate change is real. it has been doing it since the climate formed.  man made limate change is bullshit.
Vic, you are correct.  After all, where would all that ground water in the Sahara Desert come from?  Or the whale bones there?  But even the great deserts of the Earth aren't due to CO2 but rather from orbital wobble with a period of ~20k years.

I've read some articles that the Sahara may have been caused, in part, by overgrazing.  Tragedy of the Commons and all that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:22:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The surface of the Earth cools by convection, not radiation.  The "Greenhouse Gas Hypothesis" is smashed with that one little fact.

1. The earth doesn't "cool." It dissipates heat.

2. The earth dissipates heat via both convection and radiation. If the earth did not radiate at all, you wouldn't see it as visible light is a form of radiation. It may be 99% convection 1% radiation, but some of it is radiation. So you are logically incorrect.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:24:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You do realize that Mt. Saint Helen put more CO2/CO and particulate in the atmosphere in 2 days than all of mankind...ever...

Right?

So did Mount Pinatubo

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Magnets...

Continental Drift has quite a bit to do with it.  Gondwanaland RULES!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top