Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/7/2010 7:02:19 AM EDT
ATF approved! Square silence!!!!! Muahahahahahah!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eyS54AdG_Y&feature=player_embedded

Hey all!!! What do you think?

Man she's quiet!!!
For those of you who don't know me, I am an artist and metalworker of 25 years. I work in steel processing plant running plasma cutters, flat and tube lasers, brakes, and am an accomplished welder in TIG/MIG/ARC and oxy/fuel. I have my strengths.
I had an epiphany one day.
I was running a COF when a competitor arrived with an AR10 and AR that he was swapping a AAC can back and forth from. I was always under the impression that the diameter of the can's hole diverted the gasses because it was so tight and the gas's only alternative was to be diverted to the nearest lower pressure area. But this didnt make sense when a 223 and a 308 both were SUPER quiet using the same can. I had always been discouraged to build a can due to all the high tolerances that I felt I couldn't maintain with my low tech garage shop. The diameter of the hole changed everything for me.... I really started thinking more about fluid dynamics, than design of a 'thing'. How could I disrupt, divert, and peel away the gasses behind the bullet. I arrived at a square can, because fluid hitting 90degree angles seemed the most likely method of ripping the gasses from the back of the slug. What you see below is how I arrived a happy participant in your group....a slightly red-necky one! But a participant none-the-less: Here are the parts involved. -2x2x16ga mild steel tube -an UZI barrel nut $12 -7ga laser cut baffle flats -end cap and UZI nut flange Here is a flat baffle This is the press I built I will be bending the flats in Here is the baffle in my home made die, pre-bend During the bend And the bent baffle If you noticed in the flat, I made the hole in an elipse. It's .443" in its smallest diameter. When the elipse is bent it forms a .443" round hole, as seen below (the shadow gives the hole a weird square look. Chalk it up to a bad camera....sorry): Below you see the UZI barrel nut and flange: Here I am indexing the flange to the nut to the UZI. So that the can will square up to the sexy squareness of the UZI!!!! You might notice the serial number on the 'inside' of the can. I stamped it backwards...like a moron. So I just stamped it correctly on the other side and figured no one would see 'this', but you did, so .....durn it.... :) Pre-pressed: Post press. Barrel nut side Welding of the barrel nut to the flange Welded The next step I took was stacking and aligning the baffles. Sorry about the blurry pix. This whole post was shot on my phone. I had a threaded rod that I stacked all the baffles on. Here are the baffles staggered and stacked Heres a side view of the stack I made a square fixture that the stack rested in, and was compressed by the threaded rod. The baffle you see at the end of the stack was just used to square the whole assembly. Then i hot tacked all the unions and waited for the assembly to cool so alignment wouldn't change Front view of stack after cooling. I cleaned all BB's up and chased back the hot tacks flush with the stack. I burned HEAVY, so the stack is pretty frickin solid on its own After chasing the welds on the baffle stack, I measures all the unions I would be welding. I then drilled the tube with these locations I then inserted the stack Here you can see the unions I will be welding through the plug holes All plug holes welded! Chased back all the external welds and D.A.'ed! Here is the END of the can So up until now it's all been gravy. Now I am going to weld the finished can together to the UZI. I made a cutout carboard sheild that would cover the gun during the process What I did was weld a small shelf to my vise that the UZI rested on.I wrapped the cardboard over the barrel nut, and cradled the can in the vise. I got an 11/32" piece of drill stock that I inserted into the UZI's barrel that I used during this whole alignment process. Once I aligned the bore, to the baffles I welded everything together, starting with the nut flange at the bottom. Here you can see the drill stock in the receiver And through the assembly Once that was hard tacked into place I added the end cap. All the adjustments Were made while the assembly was attached to the UZI. Welded end cap Barrel nut end chased Exit hole chased and D.A.ed Finished barrel nut end! And there you have it. Be gentle.... :)

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:04:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Range Report!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#3]
How much does that thing weigh?
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:05:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks fun!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#5]
pretty lol
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Wish I had your skills and tools there...

What does it weigh in at?
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#7]

About 36ozs   on top of the 9lb UZI!!!

Check out the You tube link at the top of the thread
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:08:26 AM EDT
[#8]
damn, that was made with mild steel, I bet that weights twice as much as the gun itself. lol

ETA: NVM, 16 guage steel.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Snip....

Cool...

How do you take it apart to clean it?  
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Did you build a hoist to lift it too ?

WTF does that thing weigh ?

Major points scored for the metal fab.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#11]
this is the coolest post I have read, to date, on ARFcom

I really wish I was good enough to build something like that!

Bravo, sir.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

About 36ozs   on top of the 9lb UZI!!!

Quoted:

Nice.  Nothing to wear out in that design either really?
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#13]
You know when they say "this thread is worthless without pics"?
This one is not...

Nice work
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#14]
That's pretty damn cool.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#15]
tag for video

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:12:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lazy Link

Damn good job by the way. I like it. Was this your first?
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#17]
It's built like a Flowmaster race muffler.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Very nice work!

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Can't get link to worky.  I can't get that to work so now you know why I don't even try to build anything
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Its a monolithic design. It does not come apart. To clean it I just hose out the inside with gun scrubber!
Total cost of the build:

$200 tax stamp for the SBR'ed UZI
$12 for the UZI barrel nut
$200 for the supressor tax stamp

Total build time 2 hours

TAA DAAAA!!!!!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip....

Cool...

How do you take it apart to clean it?  

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:17:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Total build time was 2 hours?  If would take me that long just to drill a couple of holes!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#22]
DAMN that is quiet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#23]
You Sir, Rock! that is awesome!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
this is the coolest post I have read, to date, on ARFcom

I really wish I was good enough to build something like that!

Bravo, sir.

+1
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Very nice

love the saying on your press BTW
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I think ARFcom should officially award you 10 internets. All in favor?
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:24:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Totally awesome.  Great reporting and write up too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Whats an 'internet'?

Quoted:
I think ARFcom should officially award you 10 internets. All in favor?

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#29]
You should be proud.
American made.
I bet its quiet and keeps the barrel from rising.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#30]
IMPRESSIVE and AWESOME.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#31]

There is no rule that says it has to be round.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice! I'll take eight of them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Very nice

love the saying on your press BTW

AYE!!

-Tim S.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Only problem is that is bare mild steel. You didn't put any protective paint or anything on it. That will rust very easily.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#35]
That is bad ass!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Its getting parked soon!

Quoted:
Only problem is that is bare mild steel. You didn't put any protective paint or anything on it. That will rust very easily.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Its getting parked soon!

Quoted:

Cool
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Bad ass.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its getting parked soon!

Quoted:

Cool

I was going to say...that is something easily remedied.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I thnk it would look cool rusted.  Like something off a road warrior movie.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thnk it would look cool rusted. Like something off a road warrior movie.

indeed

I like the quiet hollow metalic ping sound that it's making when fired
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Nice, I love thiese type of threads. Great post and great video.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Awesome work.  Very, very awesome.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:38:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Some very nice work!  Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Totally kick ass post!  I thoroughly enjoyed the pics and write up.  And, Damn!  That thing is pretty freaking quiet!  Good job.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#46]
That "PING" you hear is actually the carrier slamming into battery inside the UZI. The noise seems to have been amplified by the supressor being steel too. When I hold the can while firing it its REALLY quiet!! I'm thinking of making a kevlar sleeve like on those MAC 10 supressors!!!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

indeed

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Epic F 'n win
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Wow, that is a great job!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:43:52 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

That "PING" you hear is actually the carrier slamming into battery inside the UZI. The noise seems to have been amplified by the supressor being steel too. When I hold the can while firing it its REALLY quiet!! I'm thinking of making a kevlar sleeve like on those MAC 10 supressors!!!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

indeed

damn, that IS quiet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top