Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2010 4:31:35 PM EDT
I downloaded ios4 on my 3g when it was released, and it has been slow as shit ever since. Now I'm trying to figure out how to downgrade, which apparantly Apple doesn't endorse so it's a real pain in the ass. FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I firmly believe in NEVER upgrading operating systems or firmware if there isn't a compelling reason to do so.  

Stick with what works.  Not the newest unproven version,  the older one that works perfectly.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#2]
My upgrade to andriod 2.2 went well on my nexus one. Whats wrong with your... oh... sorry...

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Stupid question, maybe - but have you rebooted it?
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#5]
You do know there is a newer iPhone out, right?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Apple is hold special press conference on iPhone 4 this Friday.

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
3G CAN run OS4,it was not recommended and it was known far in advance it would run like a dog.  Research first.

where was it made known that it would run like a dog? it was news to me
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
3G CAN run OS4,it was not recommended and it was known far in advance it would run like a dog.  Research first.

Same here.  It was written on apple sites and review sites that the upgrade would be for iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I unwittingly did the same (I hadn't heard that OS4 would slow the 3G) I am so hating my phone now.  What are my options?  No I am NOT buying a new phone.  Mine is only a year old.

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I unwittingly did the same (I hadn't heard that OS4 would slow the 3G) I am so hating my phone now.  What are my options?  No I am NOT buying a new phone.  Mine is only a year old.

http://lifehacker.com/5572003/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-3g%5Bs%5D-from-ios-4-to-ios-313

i'm still trying to figure it out
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I firmly believe in NEVER upgrading operating systems or firmware if there isn't a compelling reason to do so.  

Stick with what works.  Not the newest unproven version,  the older one that works perfectly.

CJ

I still say Windows ME is sweet.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CJ

I still say Windows ME is sweet.  

Say wha.....
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Roomate says the same thing..... I thankfully never upgraded mine and have no intention of ever doing so
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah I noticed how terrible it was.

I had my Iphone 4 on order before updating my 3g....it made the wait for the 4 REALLY suck.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Friend at work had the same thing happen and she took it to the Genius Bar.  They had to wipe the phone completely and re sync it.  I don't know which OS they put back on it.  It does run fine now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I downloaded ios4 on my 3g when it was released, and it has been slow as shit ever since. Now I'm trying to figure out how to downgrade, which apparantly Apple doesn't endorse so it's a real pain in the ass. FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

Lots of known issues when it comes to 3g and ios4. Works great on my 3gs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.  It was written on apple sites and review sites that the upgrade would be for iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4.

On just about every review site for IOS 4 when they tried it on a 3G and said it sucked.  

My 3G was up for an upgrade, so I upgraded to an iphone 4.  I must be doing something wrong with it, as I don't have any problems.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep, the 3G is a sloth with iOS 4. I need to downgrade mine, I gave it to my dad - I doubt he notices the lag. The new iPhone 4, OTOH, is pretty snappy. IMO, it's what the first iPhone should have been. After playing with my original and then 3G iPhone quite a bit, I got into the habit of saving all the old OS restore images that iTunes downloads. I still have my iPhone OS 1.0 restore image

ETA - I just did it. 11 minutes start to finish. Make sure you have the 3.1.3 restore image (file name is iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw) and RecBoot(forces the iPhone to exit the restore mode, since the 4.0 to 3.1.3 downgrade won't finish properly in iTunes - download link at the page that MALT0SE linked to above). Hold down the option key while clicking Restore to be able to select the proper restore image, when it's done it will give you an error and tell you it needs to be restored again. Don't do that, instead launch RecStore Exit and click the button. After that I had to unplug the iPhone and plug it back in, then it re-activates the phone, and if you have a pre-4.0 backup you can restore from that, otherwise you need to set it up as a new iPhone(4.0 backups won't restore to a 3.x phone). And boom, back up and running with 3.1.3 on the 3G!

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#20]
this is the exact reason i am getting a droid x tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://lifehacker.com/5572003/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-3g%5Bs%5D-from-ios-4-to-ios-313

i'm still trying to figure it out

I upgraded to OS4 the day it came out and downgraded a few days later with the above link's guidance.  OS4 was terrible on my 3G.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apple never said that it would slow down the 3G.

My 3G was slower after installing OS4, too.  Hold down the power and home buttons, and do not use the slider to power the phone off.  Just let it turn off by itself.  Power it back up, and it should be faster.  Worked for me.

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, im not the only one

Ill probably be downgrading this weekend, or I may upgrade to the new phone.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Haha. My wife and I were just tonight cussing our iPhones for the exact same thing. (we're both 3G running OS4).
I found a website that said do 2 hard reboots, and close all safari windows, and it will speed things up. I'll be damned if it worked!  

Try 2 hard reboots (home and power button till you see the apple) and see if it helps you.

Edit, see it works.  I just typed this reply, and edited it and didn't want to break my phone anymore.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apple never said that it would slow down the 3G.

My 3G was slower after installing OS4, too.  Hold down the power and home buttons, and do not use the slider to power the phone off.  Just let it turn off by itself.  Power it back up, and it should be faster.  Worked for me.

Apple may not have said it but pretty much every Beta review site from the developers said it was a dog on 3G as well as threads here from people who were beta testing it.

Well, after a reboot, it isn't a dog anymore.  Problem solved.

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Today's software on yesterday's hardware is usually to be avoided.

I am staying with 3.? On my 3G iPhone
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#30]
yup i read when the os4 came it was it was gonna make the 3g runs slow as dirt so i didnt bother with it. When the white iphone4 comes out i'll buy one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
yup i read when the os4 came it was it was gonna make the 3g runs slow as dirt so i didnt bother with it. When the white iphone4 comes out i'll buy one.

looks like two hard resets solved the problem. Way easier then trying to figure out how to downgrade
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I downgraded to 3.1.2 when I had my 3g.  ios4 was awful on it.  It's not terribly difficult, there are a few guides out there (one on lifehacker).  I had to use blackra1n to trick it out of DFU mode once I'd downgraded though.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm running iOS4 on my jailbroken, unlocked to t-mobile 3g with multitasking enabled. The only time it seems slow is if I have 4 or more apps running in the background.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I see a droid phone in my future.  A nexus one or samsung for sure.  I'm tired of being tethered to iTunes.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

My upgrade to andriod 2.2 went well on my nexus one. Whats wrong with your... oh... sorry...

-Foxxz

Lol same here, I just flashed Cyanogen's froyo release client 1 :)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top