Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2010 12:37:26 PM EDT
We've had good ones and bad ones but never with any consistency. What's the secret for picking a good, sweet watermelon?
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Cut plug in end, invert bottle of everclear
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice yellow or white belly, thump it with your finger and listen for a hollow sound.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the knuckle rap method because my Uncle did.  I have no idea what to listen too.

Using a tool would not be appropriate

ET reA

Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#4]
slow motion video capture and a 44 mag are my preferred method
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Alton Brown - How to pick a melon link

Even green color
yellow ground spot (not white.)
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#6]
racist

IBTL
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Watermelon Nights

Now you know.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#8]
looks like a melon?
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Only way to be 100% sure is to cut it open      I used to work in produce.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#11]
no idea but best I've ever had was locally grown in Iraq
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#12]
What's the secret for picking a good, sweet watermelon?

Tap on the Watermelon.  It should produce a B flat pitch.  (I am not kidding)  If you have someone with "Perfect Pitch" or is musical they can help you figure out what a B flat sounds like.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#13]
nm
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Tap on the Watermelon.  It should produce a B flat pitch.  (I am not kidding)  If you have someone with "Perfect Pitch" or is musical they can help you figure out what a B flat sounds like.

As in...

"dat watermelon be flat!"?
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As in...

http://hoboken411.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/hoboken-crushed-watermelon-victim.jpg

wow

Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As in...

http://hoboken411.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/hoboken-crushed-watermelon-victim.jpg

No as in the musical note.......  The watermelon you posted a photo of is "No good"  The OP wanted a "Good" one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Thump it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#18]
slap that sucker, it should vibrate pretty good, a non-ripe watermelon is too dense and feels more like hitting a bowling ball, you can also tell an overripe melon by too much vibration but it takes some time to get a good feel.

Get one that vibrates pretty good, try it, if it's overripe get on that vibrates a little less.

All about those good vibrations!
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thump it.

+1
a bottle of vodka  for the soak and salt for garnish

Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice size yellow spot, good vibration / hollow sound when you thump it. Thump it with your fingertip, not your knuckle.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I just ask someone nearby in the grocery store to guide me.
If I need to pick out tomatoes, I look for an old Italian lady.  If I need hot peppers, I ask Hector who works at the deli.  If I need a watermelon, I ask the stockboy because, ummm, he handles a lot of fruit.
-  BG

EDIT:  Any woman over the age of 40 is also a good target.  Sometimes they even pick out the fruit or veggie for me.

Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thump it.

This.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Honestly?

nevermind
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I use the knuckle rap method because my Uncle did.  I have no idea what to listen too.

Using a tool would not be appropriate

Please put back the maglite picture.  So I can ask, "What sound does that mag lite make when it hits a melon?"  And the older members here will giggle at the sound that shall not be mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nice yellow or white belly, thump it with your finger and listen for a hollow sound.

Exactly. It applies to all melons.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As in...

Hahaha

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Petey Green knows all.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We've had good ones and bad ones but never with any consistency. What's the secret for picking a good, sweet watermelon?

You can't "pick" a good one.  It's a wives tale.  I used to work in a produce department.  I would get stupid women asking me this 100 times a day.  I would try to educate them, and then finally, all us produce guys decided that women were not able to be educated.  Women argue with you when you try to give them facts and truth.  It was easier to pretend you were picking out a good one for them, make it look like you were going through some process, so you could shut her the FLOCK up and get her the HELL out of your face (working w/ the public causes pissy attitudes like this).

When we would cut watermelons to put plastic wrap on them, of course we would try to pick a better one, but it's impossible.  Using all of our powers of divination occasionally failed and we had to throw it out.  

I've heard it all.  I've heard the B.S. about "thumping" them.  I've heard the B.S. about "bee stings" (black dried sugar that is on the outside).  It's all B.S.  These corporate watermelon farmers know how to get most of their crop edible.

Helen Keller is just as likely to pick out a watermelon as any produce worker.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't "pick" a good one.  It's a wives tale. I used to work in a produce department.   I would get stupid women asking me this 100 times a day.  I would try to educate them, and then finally, all us produce guys decided that women were not able to be educated.  Women argue with you when you try to give them facts and truth.  It was easier to pretend you were picking out a good one for them, make it look like you were going through some process, so you could shut her the FLOCK up and get her the HELL out of your face (working w/ the public causes pissy attitudes like this).

When we would cut watermelons to put plastic wrap on them, of course we would try to pick a better one, but it's impossible.  Using all of our powers of divination occasionally failed and we had to throw it out.  

I've heard it all.  I've heard the B.S. about "thumping" them.  I've heard the B.S. about "bee stings" (black dried sugar that is on the outside).  It's all B.S.  These corporate watermelon farmers know how to get most of their crop edible.

Helen Keller is just as likely to pick out a watermelon as any produce worker.

I for one would like to hear some other tales from the ALPD*

Sure, most days I'm sure it was business as usual, but then all hell breaks out in roots & tubers and everyone races to the squad carts...

*Alabama Produce Department
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top