Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy CRAP!  I have know someone who has a 75mW green laser from them, and it looks like a light saber at night.  This thing is 13 times stronger?!

Holy crap.

Yep 1W or 1000mW, and it's blue.

I've done a little reading and apparently Nichia (big LED/diode maker) came out with these 1 Watt blue diodes for use in a new generation of laser video projectors.

I remember when the only hand-held blue laser you could get was a DPSS that needed an IR diode to pump a frequency doubler crystal then another blue one, and the cheapest Chicom pen pointer was a measly .5mW and cost $1200...

The greens still need to do this, start with an IR pump diode at 880nm, then a crystal absorbs and re-lases at 1024nm or so even deeper in IR, then turn it into 532nm green with a KPT crystal, but they're cheap because there's so many makers. Once someone figures out a direct-inject single stage green diode like the new crop of blues pushed by the Blu-Ray disc market, and the oldest, the IR and the reds, it'll be cool times.

You can have a 1080p video projector that would be visible on a wall in full sunlight, and it would be about the size of a pack of cigarettes. God knows what movie theater tech will look like soon.

I have no idea what you just said

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone know of a good place to buy safety glasses/goggles?

And which ones in particular are useful for protecting against this Death Star Super Laser?

I've seen what it did to Kalifo...er Alderaan, I'd like to protect my eyes against the same fate.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 6:22:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Group buy on "good goggles" that will actually protect against 1w of 445nm on http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/lpf-discount-certified-goggles-445-nm-51814.html

Quoted:

Anyone know of a good place to buy safety glasses/goggles?

And which ones in particular are useful for protecting against this Death Star Super Laser?

I've seen what it did to Kalifo...er Alderaan, I'd like to protect my eyes against the same fate.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 6:32:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
what the hell, i ordered one company said to expect in 3-4 weeks

Are they charging you when you order or when it ships?
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 6:53:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what the hell, i ordered one
company said to expect in 3-4 weeks

when it ships which will not be for 1-3 weeks still for even those who ordered 6-9-2010 on LaserPointerForums

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what the hell, i ordered one
company said to expect in 3-4 weeks

I didnt get charged yet.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
cue "GET BOTH" pic
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another company just announced a 1w 445nm, Nova

http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=109

Not as neat looking as the Wicked Lasers one, still a preorder too.

thread about it here  

I like the cleaner looks of this one....couple bucks cheaper too..

The WL Arctic comes with goggles, the Nova does not.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

cue "GET BOTH" pic

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another company just announced a 1w 445nm, Nova

http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=109

Not as neat looking as the Wicked Lasers one, still a preorder too.

thread about it here  

I like the cleaner looks of this one....couple bucks cheaper too..

The WL Arctic comes with goggles, the Nova does not.

...and I kind like the looks of the WL-A

However, the WL comes with goggles that no one has posted the specs for. Many are thinking they are insufficient, need upgrade. All upp in the air till they actually start shipping. Over 3000 ordered according to chart on LPF

The Nova has the option to get good goggles right off the bat.

I also saw that WL is requiring proof of age and digital signature now, hope that does not hold up the shipments.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Okay, so it's a laser pointer with a BluRay lens.

Wheeeeeeee  You can build these yourself for far less than $200

_MaH
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

_MaH

You fail at reading comprehension.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

_MaH

You fail at analogy comprehension.

Yes, obviously it's not a BluRay lens, I can read just fine thank you.

But you'll get just about the same results, and for a lot cheaper.

_MaH
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

_MaH

_MaH

You also fail at proper dinner pics, so lighten up.

It's also cheaper to chop down a bunch of trees and build yourself a house with the wood, but I don't see a lot of people doing that either.

ETA: I would imagine that the big issue with DIY would be getting your hands on one of these diodes; it's not like you can go down to wally world and buy a $50 blu-ray player to rape.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

_MaH

_MaH

1. A 405nm Blu-Ray diode is way down into the purple/violet spectrum. A 445nm blue diode will appear several times brighter because human vision peaks in the yellow-green "center" of the visual spectrum. So it'll look about 10-20x brighter as-is.

2. And AFAIK, the highest wattage diodes available for Blu-Ray are 450mW, which is a little less than half of 1 Watt/1000mW.

So it's twice as powerful as the best Blu-Ray pointer you could build. And the beam and spot will appear to be at least 10x brighter.

So yes, it's still a "big deal".

Although if I also read into it what you're implying, that the parts are pretty inexpensive, then yes, these new 1W 445nm diodes go for about $50 each, and you can stick them into some other host with a total cost of less than $200. So 1W 445nm pointers will be able to be had, even if Wicked Laser gets too much unwanted attention from U.S. Customs and the FTC and FDA.

IIRC, Laserpointerforums had a group buy going on these diodes for the DIY'ers before the Wicked Laser product was announced.

Within a few months I'm sure you'll be able to find some lesser known Chinese Mfg. who'll not be on Custom's watch list, or assemble your own.  At worst, laser buffs/hackers will always be able to disassemble the completed laser projectors for a diode source if need be. So you'll always be able to have one if you really want it and Uncle Sam can't stop you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Some guy on LPF got a tracking number....
THEY ARE SHIPPING!!!!!!!11!!!!

FALSE ALARM!!!!!

getting that bad feeling actually

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

hot damn, no tracking number on mine yet but I didn't order until 6/11/10
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

After reading the warnings on this thing, it is a little worrisome.

It reads as if someone could shine this on a crowd of people, and everyone that looked at it would be permanently blinded. INSTANTLY

Permanently blinding every single person at a football stadium before they can even think not to look at it? Am i reading this right?

Maybe one person at a time, until the battery runs dead.

It would not be able to blind everyone instantly, simultaneously.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

They sound really cool.

But I can't tell you how many times I was playing with one of my lasered handguns in the house and accidentally reflected it off of a mirror into my eye.

Guns aren't toys.  These aren't either.

I hope you have figured this out by now.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd prefer them have that Stupid Laser over Most anything... including Mace... Mace aint a big deal and I think it'd be easier to destroy someones sight in the moment with mace then that gay ass laser...

Okay, I'll play!

At my workplace I have unrestricted access to a real class four laser engraver. In four words: That Thing Is Powerful. Literally in seconds I can GOUGE anything I want into anything I see fit. When I say gouge, I mean that I could cut your name into a quarter in seconds, and I mean all the way through. Not even carbide stands a chance against this machine. The police wanted me to laser engrave tracking numbers onto the barrels of their M240's and 249's which in less than a second cut numbers into those barrels a thousandth in depth. I was afraid that if I went too far I might compromise safety, but if I had wanted to I could have done serious damage. I've been toying with the idea of lasering my face onto quarters and putting them back into circulation, but I hear that's illegal. The laser engraver is ten times as powerful as the laser people are buying from Wicked Lasers.

That engraver will blind you permanently instantaneously if you don't respect it and it has quite the unique way of blinding you. Instead of one big zap and "OH NOES!" you're blind, it actually cauterizes your retina so everything on the opposite side of the cut from your optic nerve will be blackness. Imagine if I kicked your large flatpanel television to get an idea. The 1Watt laser they're selling here will PERMANENTLY blind you INSTANTANEOUSLY from more than a mile away. With a maximum range of 38 miles (Thirty Eight) you can feasibly blind airline pilots in their jets at cruising altitude of 30,000 feet, or a measly six miles. From the distances some dirtbag would zap you with it, I'm sure it'd be far less than six miles. Maybe across a street or down a block. You could be walking down the street, someone walks the blue dot across your eyes, and you're blind. just as fast as you read that sentence, your sight is gone. Please refrain from calling it a "Gay Ass Laser" for that reason alone. These are just as, if not more dangerous than a loaded firearm, especially if in the hands of a criminal. I mace you and you're blind or impaired for a few minutes to an hour. I nail you with this laser and you're blind for the rest of your life.

The lasers you can buy now that you play with your pet with are rated in the milliwatt range. The one I have my cat doing backflips for is actually right around five milliwatts. It is nearly painful if not significantly uncomfortable if I shine it in my eyes for a second and it's a simple red laser. These lasers they're talking about here are more than a THOUSAND times more powerful than the laser I'm playing with now. The minimum safe distance to get shined with it is 22 miles! Yes that's twenty two miles! Anywhere inside that and damage to your eyesight goes up exponentially.

Here's an image. Mind you that this is for a laser significantly less powerful than the one being ordered by so many. Maybe this will explain why you should fear it more than you are now.

http://www.laserist.org/files/laser-pointer_hazard-distances_nightscene_1019x800.jpg

Comprende?

Your police have belt fed weapons?

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

U.S.A.F. S.P.s I think.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

U.S.A.F. S.P.s I think.

Bingo. Their Master Sergeant [E-7] brought over twenty four 249 barrels and fifteen 240 barrels. I could do the 249 barrels in class 1 mode, meaning it's in a box with a protective glass viewing window that is like welder's goggles.

For the 240's I had to remove the laser unit from the box and put it into class 4 mode. That thing is WICKED dangerous! I didn't think it was going to be as bright as it was as I'd only seen it in action through the little window before that. I had to goggle up, close the door, post a guard, and look away when I hit the "Fo" button. (Yes I engraved "Fo" on it) That's not the Air Force's rules, that's the manufacturer's recommendations! It makes a super high pitches squealing noise when you've got it on one of the higher settings and you're engraving metal. It looked like a four second continuous camera flash and there was his tracking number. When he first brought the barrels over he was skeptical and said that it probably wouldn't hurt skin. Too bad he wouldn't put his arm in there. I'd have happily tattooed something on his arm for him. I thought, "Not Sure" would be funny.

I engraved my name on a new Larue "Dillo" today. I had it on the lowest possible setting for steel and it took less than two seconds to engrave a thousandth into the spine. I don't think they're made of steel... The second one I did looks awesome, almost as if it were done custom at Larue.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Tag for when one of you buys one, finds out what it's really capable of, then I can buy one.

I wonder what ability it has to cut metal.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#22]
None. It'only a watt.
Quoted:
Tag for when one of you buys one, finds out what it's really capable of, then I can buy one.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

None. It'only a watt.
Quoted:

True, but a watt is still a lot!

Hey, that rhymes!

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

eye just got mind. unfortunately eye now have two post using voice recognition soft wear.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Post about the goggles sent free with each WL-A is up, looks they will be gtg.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/wicked-lasers-445-spyder-iii-197-97-a-51554-40.html#post719401
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 4:19:45 AM EDT
[#26]
4600 sold so far

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/post-your-wicked-lasers-445-spyder-iii-priority-51619-6.html#post719202

I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a firearm

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 5:40:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Waiting patiently for an AAR.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#28]
did anyone pick up the extra optics kit? I ordered mine before it was listed on the site.

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
did anyone pick up the extra optics kit? I ordered mine before it was listed on the site.

I didn't. I wish I would have.

No tracking number for me yet.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

U.S.A.F. S.P.s I think.

Bingo. Their Master Sergeant [E-7] brought over twenty four 249 barrels and fifteen 240 barrels. I could do the 249 barrels in class 1 mode, meaning it's in a box with a protective glass viewing window that is like welder's goggles.

For the 240's I had to remove the laser unit from the box and put it into class 4 mode. That thing is WICKED dangerous! I didn't think it was going to be as bright as it was as I'd only seen it in action through the little window before that. I had to goggle up, close the door, post a guard, and look away when I hit the "Fo" button. (Yes I engraved "Fo" on it) That's not the Air Force's rules, that's the manufacturer's recommendations! It makes a super high pitches squealing noise when you've got it on one of the higher settings and you're engraving metal. It looked like a four second continuous camera flash and there was his tracking number. When he first brought the barrels over he was skeptical and said that it probably wouldn't hurt skin. Too bad he wouldn't put his arm in there. I'd have happily tattooed something on his arm for him. I thought, "Not Sure" would be funny.

I engraved my name on a new Larue "Dillo" today. I had it on the lowest possible setting for steel and it took less than two seconds to engrave a thousandth into the spine. I don't think they're made of steel... The second one I did looks awesome, almost as if it were done custom at Larue.

Off topic...but did he mention why he wanted them engraved instead of just attaching a tag to the barrels like most units do?
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Video on laser in action.

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I have worked a lot of overtime in the past 8 weeks, so I need one.
My cautery pen batteries have run down, so having a tool that could burn my lips off while driving my Jeep with the top down is cool.
Got to order before they are banned.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__5CpKlr4-4

Thats a 1W 445nm like the wicked lasers one? thats fucking scary
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Off topic...but did he mention why he wanted them engraved instead of just attaching a tag to the barrels like most units do?

I vaguely remember something about that they were going up for an ORI or something and that he wanted each barrel specifically marked because there was going to be multiple units there and didn't want to deal with the mixup. I didn't really ask. I figured a 249 barrel was a 249 barrel, but if he wants them zapped, who am I to argue? When people bring things over for me to zap, I zap. I think it's because the laser etching is permanent and isn't going to break or be worn off like those tags do.  

I particularly like it when they say, "Make mine awesome!" I get to have some fun.

I did the A team logo on one guy's knife last year and on the flipside put, Hannibal: "I love it when a plan comes together!" After that I had to do the entire A Team, Macgyver - "Get me an avocado, an ice pick, and my snorkel.", the mudflap girl on just about anything people can try to get me to put it on, and a unicorn head with bunnies for a female pilot. After that Hannibal knife I wound up doing about thirty other knives after they saw that one. Everything from "The Jordanslash" to a big arrow pointing forward and "This end toward enemy." One guy is a Cook County Deputy who got the CCSD seal with his name and badge number on the blade of his knife.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Oh wow...I really need one of these!!! Makes me 50mW red laser look boring as fuck.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Well ya just hadda go and post this didnt ya?!
I need one of these but just bought an NDS receiver this morning!
I'm tapped out!
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#37]
NEEDS MOAR MONEY!!!!!!

Everyone thinks Im crazy for wanting one
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Just placed my order.

I don't like doing business over the Internet with the Chinese but I had to have one.

They better not fuck me or I'll go all Bauer on a chinaman's ass.
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just placed my order.

I don't like doing business over the Internet with the Chinese but I had to have one.

They better not fuck me or I'll go all Bauer on a chinaman's ass.

They're very good about giving refunds if your purchase does not make it through customs. So the worst that will happen is you're out your money for a few weeks if it becomes clear they can't get one to you.  However, these diodes will be a commodity product over the next year or so  in laser projectors, so if your Wicked purchase is blocked, a day or two's research on laser forums will find you another source for a comparable product, or a way to assemble your own for not too much money.

Wicked has a spotty reputation amongst laser aficionados, if only because of getting into "victims of their own success" situations like this new laser here, and for some dubious marketing statements like "Complies with FDA regs". Well it DOES, however they never apply for the registration/accession number that those regs get you. (and is the final reg). And at least with their greens before this new blue came out, they were selling units that were much more expensive than the competition only because they were generally the one brand "non laser geeks" heard of. But they've now been in business for several years now, and they've never been a "rip off" place. People PO'ed about prices, shipping, terms, or marketing? Sure... but they won't steal your money.

I'm a believer in freedom over safety, so I don't mind much, especially about the import/FDA stuff.
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#40]
It will be interesting to see if mine gets through customs, even though I found no law against personal use in the home (some restrictions on NHS hospital and other gobbledegook).
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I ordered a week ago and still no tracking number : (
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__5CpKlr4-4

Link Posted: 6/19/2010 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

in all likelihood it will be another month i'm guessing.

Link Posted: 6/19/2010 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#44]
where do you guys live? I want to try and buy stock in your opthamologists
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#45]
so watching that video... and im actually a little scared to buy one...

i mean, how easy would it be to accidentally leave scorch marks on various objects that you own just by using this laser...  
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

so watching that video... and im actually a little scared to buy one...

i mean, how easy would it be to accidentally leave scorch marks on various objects that you own just by using this laser...  

It will only burn at close range.

Link Posted: 6/19/2010 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#47]
That was the same diode, but a different DIY build.

You can see there is an actual focus point in the beam.

However, YES 1 Watt is a hell of a lot.
Link Posted: 6/20/2010 6:15:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

in all likelihood it will be another month i'm guessing.

yeah your probably right
Link Posted: 6/20/2010 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Well Wicked came back and charged my CC Friday.

By what they've told everyone else they won't post the charges until its shipping, I still don't have a tracking number yet, but the charge is definitely posted
Link Posted: 6/20/2010 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well Wicked came back and charged my CC Friday.

By what they've told everyone else they won't post the charges until its shipping, I still don't have a tracking number yet, but the charge is definitely posted

Same here.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top