Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/23/2010 4:57:15 AM EDT
http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/21/smallbusiness/1099_deluge/

Starting in 2012, that changes. All business payments or purchases that exceed $600 in a calendar year will need to be accompanied by a 1099 filing. That means obtaining the taxpayer ID number of the individual or corporation you're making the payment to –– even if it's a giant retailer like Staples or Best Buy –– at the time of the transaction, or else facing IRS penalties.

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:00:38 AM EDT
[#1]
And, of course, this will include virtually all business travel that involves the pre-purchase of an airline ticket.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Does this include consumer purchases online or small/large business purchases?  If I order $600 from XYZ store online over the course of a year, I am getting a 1099?!?
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:03:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, there have been multiple articles posted here about it over the last few weeks, and how small business owners are fooked.  It took CNN a while to finally figure it out (no surprise).

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1034035
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:04:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does this include consumer purchases online or small/large business purchases?  If I order $600 from XYZ store online over the course of a year, I am getting a 1099?!?

You would have to SEND them a 1099. That said, I don't know if this applies to the average citizen subject

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#5]
"Cash only, please."
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:05:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No. *You* will have to 1099 XYZ store.

ETA: Beat. Also, I think this is only for business purchases. But there's lots of self-employed working out there. Since I'm a home-based business, I'll need to 1099 the mortgage company, the lawn service company, utilities, roofer and God knows who else.

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:06:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

as if it isn't already a pain to own a small business or be a contractor.....
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:07:02 AM EDT
[#8]
that is the most fucked up thing ive ever heard what a cluster fuck.hope we can throw that out,after November.
i see bills being broken down to multiple bills of 500 bucks or less just to circumvent this bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:07:50 AM EDT
[#9]
They are going to need a lot of new IRS agents to chase down the people that don't know, don't care, or otherwise aren't 1099'ing every damn thing they buy/sell.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:08:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...or a citizen.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"Cash only, please."

Fine if you're not in business. I have a small machine shop. This is just one more layer of Uncle Sam watching $. Hopefully I will be able to do the 1099s myself. If I have to pay an accountant it will another burden. Of course if you don't use an accountant you will probably be auditted

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:09:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Fuck em I wont do it anyway.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:10:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"Cash only, please."

Try again. When you have a business deduction totaling more than $600 for the year, it will need to be accompanied by the requisite 1099.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#14]
But, at the moment, you don't have to 1099 a corporation or LLC.  Is that changing, too?  I guess so.

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:13:53 AM EDT
[#15]
$600? I already have a 1099/Fed tax ID. Does this mean I have to fill out/file a 1099 every time I make a purchase over $600??? Hell,2 tires can go over 600 bux quite easily.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:14:04 AM EDT
[#16]
For clarification, does this apply to businesses, or anybody making purchases in excess of $600?

(Note: I am not taking the approach of "I don't own a business so it doesn't affect me."  This is wrong in so many ways and must be repealed.)
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:15:01 AM EDT
[#17]
fuck obama and he,s corrupt anti-business administration!
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:15:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"Cash only, please."

Won't work for biz-to-biz transactions as the buyer is going to want to deduct the expense no matter the method of payment.  No 1099 = No deduction.  Literally the only way around it would be to barter services as there's no paper (even fiat paper) involved in the transaction.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:16:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I am going to feel so healthy when I buy something for more than $600.00. I see it already.

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:17:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Just tell the IRS that you only deal with illegal Mexicans for all your business needs.They will leave you alone regarding 1099's.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:20:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Cash only, please."

Try again. When you have a business deduction totaling more than $600 for the year, it will need to be accompanied by the requisite 1099.

Yeah. I hadn't caught on to the rest of this turd.

I just my wife this (who has a struggling business trying to get off the ground). Un-fucking-real.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Cash only, please."

Won't work for biz-to-biz transactions as the buyer is going to want to deduct the expense no matter the method of payment.  No 1099 = No deduction.  Literally the only way around it would be to barter services as there's no paper (even fiat paper) involved in the transaction.
One won't stay in business very long if one doesn't deduct. I imagine,if this is true,that alot of O/O are gonna run the shit outta recap tires.

I just spent $652 on a mirror/bracket for the Freightliner. $600 is nothing with these monsters.

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:22:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Gonna be a headache for the home business ebay crowd.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:23:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/21/smallbusiness/1099_deluge/

Starting in 2012, that changes. All business payments or purchases that exceed $600 in a calendar year will need to be accompanied by a 1099 filing. That means obtaining the taxpayer ID number of the individual or corporation you're making the payment to –– even if it's a giant retailer like Staples or Best Buy –– at the time of the transaction, or else facing IRS penalties.

Well I know one ass they can kiss.

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:25:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Fairtax.org
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:26:11 AM EDT
[#26]

ETA -

Originally
Posted By bluedog2:

Fairtax.org

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:28:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...or a citizen.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#28]
here's the key paragraph from the article:

The rule comes with a floor to weed out the most casual retailers: The 1099-K is only required when a merchant has at least 200 payment transactions a year totaling more than $20,000. But it applies to all payment processors, including Paypal, Amazon.com, and others that service very small businesses.

i have clients that pay me more than $600 by credit card, but i don't do 200 payment transactions a year.  and i'm arguably (haven't seen the definition) not a "merchant".  so as a small business owner i won't necessarily have to send the 1099, but my credit card processor will.  

BTW, dupe.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:32:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just tell the IRS that you only deal with illegal Mexicans for all your business needs.They will leave you alone regarding 1099's.

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:35:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...or a citizen.  

yes to all of the above.

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The rule comes with a floor to weed out the most casual retailers: The 1099-K is only required when a merchant has at least 200 payment transactions a year totaling more than $20,000. But it applies to all payment processors, including Paypal, Amazon.com, and others that service very small businesses.

i have clients that pay me more than $600 by credit card, but i don't do 200 payment transactions a year.  and i'm arguably (haven't seen the definition) not a "merchant".  so as a small business owner i won't necessarily have to send the 1099, but my credit card processor will.  

BTW, dupe.

thats a separate law from the one we're discussing...
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:45:47 AM EDT
[#32]

And exactly what LEGITIMATE connection to supposedly providing affordable healthcare coverage to most Americans did they use to justify this - other than the fact that it is in the healthcare bill?

Oh - that's right.  I remember know.  "We have to pass the bill to see what is in the bill."

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:49:38 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd have to see how this gets worked into IRS code before I would actually believe that it's going to happen.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

BTW, dupe.

We're talking about the 1099-Misc when we mention the $600 per annum reporting requirements.  Not the law covering the 1099-K, which is a little different.

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:51:08 AM EDT
[#35]
The gov sees the new 1099-K as a necessary precursor to implementing the VAT, which will be layered upon this 1099-K infrastructure.

The out-of-control growth of, and spending by government will have every tax power going after literally every cent they can coerce.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The gov sees the new 1099-K as a necessary precursor to implementing the VAT, which will be layered upon this 1099-K infrastructure.

The out-of-control growth of, and spending by government will have every tax power going after literally every cent they can coerce.

And, of course, our economic downward spiral will continue.  But, this is what you get when you vote Marxists into power.

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:59:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Cash only, please."

One won't stay in business very long if one doesn't deduct. I imagine,if this is true,that alot of O/O are gonna run the shit outta recap tires.

I just spent $652 on a mirror/bracket for the Freightliner. $600 is nothing with these monsters.

yep, as i stated in another thread on this subject this is gonns kill the trucking industry
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#38]
This country is heading full steam toward the most epic train wreck in history.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 6:05:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

BTW, dupe.

if this is true i will be spared,since i dont do 200 pay tranactions a yaer and there less than 20,000.this is still fucked up tho
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
that is the most fucked up thing ive ever heard what a cluster fuck.hope we can throw that out,after November.
i see bills being broken down to multiple bills of 500 bucks or less just to circumvent this bullshit.

That would be Structuring and it's a felony.

Title 31 of the United States Code, section 5324, provides (in part):

No person shall, for the purpose of evading the reporting requirements of section 5313 (a) or 5325 or any regulation prescribed under any such section, the reporting or record keeping requirements imposed by any order issued under section 5326, or the record keeping requirements imposed by any regulation prescribed under section 21 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act or section 123 of Public Law 91–508— [...] (3) structure or assist in structuring, or attempt to structure or assist in structuring, any transaction with one or more domestic financial institutions.

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 6:26:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be Structuring and it's a felony.

Title 31 of the United States Code, section 5324, provides (in part):

No person shall, for the purpose of evading the reporting requirements of section 5313 (a) or 5325 or any regulation prescribed under any such section, the reporting or record keeping requirements imposed by any order issued under section 5326, or the record keeping requirements imposed by any regulation prescribed under section 21 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act or section 123 of Public Law 91–508— [...] (3) structure or assist in structuring, or attempt to structure or assist in structuring, any transaction with one or more domestic financial institutions.

Land of the (formerly) free...
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#42]
And suddenly checks make a big comeback.....
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Cash only, please."

you're missing the bigger picture

DIESEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and it's $600 for the year, not per purchase.
so, you'll have to track where you buy all your fuel and then get a 1099 for any places that go over $600 (not hard to do in a TT)

FUCKING UNBELIEVABLY STUPID LAW.
Mounds of paperwork, mounds, for nothing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#44]
on the bright side, it looks like a lot of arfcom vendors are going to benefit by not having to pay the 3% transaction surcharge for Visa and Mastercard when everyone starts sending in money order or checks.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Lets all rush down & vote Democrat in midterm elections ...
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 7:30:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Cash only, please."

you're missing the bigger picture

DIESEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and it's $600 for the year, not per purchase.
so, you'll have to track where you buy all your fuel and then get a 1099 for any places that go over $600 (not hard to do in a TT)

FUCKING UNBELIEVABLY STUPID LAW.
Mounds of paperwork, mounds, for nothing.

Oh,I see the big picture! Goodbye whatever's left of the independent truckstops. And if you want to get the truck worked on,it'll be at Goodyear/Pilot or the stealership. Goodbye to the small shops too,you know,the ones who cut breaks on prices.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
"Cash only, please."

Glad I already (mostly) deal only with cash for purchases.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
on the bright side, it looks like a lot of arfcom vendors are going to benefit by not having to pay the 3% transaction surcharge for Visa and Mastercard when everyone starts sending in money order or checks.  
Depends on how big that vendor is,and where he/she gets his/her merchandise from.

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
And suddenly checks make a big comeback.....

And just where do those checks have to go through to get cashed? Same for money orders. Cash? Unless it's to a private sale,it's gonna be on someone's books.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks, Pelosi, Thanks, Dubya... Thanks, Obama...

The fuckin' train just keeps a rollin'.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top