Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2001 8:46:34 PM EDT
A week ago last saturday my son was shooting off our back deck ( legal where I live in El Dorado county ) with his .45 at a hanging target we have in preperation for an IDPA match the next day. About a half hour later we were out front in the driveway checking a topo map for a 4wd trip when a sheriff's deputy pulls up and walks down to us. He asked if we had been shooting ( there's a couple of us on our hill that do ). We told him yes and he asked where, so we told him. He asked if we had a proper back stop ( we do ) and if we were observing safe handling of the firearms ( of course we were ). We asked him if there was a problem and he told us someone had called in a report of someone shooting and he was sent to  check it out. Now on our hill there is almost never a week goes by that someone isn't out plinking, frequently the sound of a large caliber rapid fire is also heard, but this was the first time a deputy was ever sent out that I know of. He asked if we were all done for the day to which we said yes, and asked if it was a problem with us shooting. He said [b]No, in fact I encourage people to practice shooting".[/b]

This is a very pro gun county, but I was really surprised by his comment. I wish I had thought to get his name and introduce myself to an obviously pro gun LEO.
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive had a sheriff in the kern river area with that same attitude.He stopped by and checked where we were shooting at and said eveything was ok and even reccomended other areas to go to next time we were out there.Was very friendly.
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#2]
A good friend of mine (Nye County Lt) shoots more than I ever will. I can't even begin to match the rounds he blasts. Here in the Tonopah area (County seat)it's still gun and gun user friendly.

Glad to hear that there are still good LEOs in California.
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice post.

It's good to hear positive L.E.O. experiences. There couldn't be better spokemen/women for our 2nd Amend. rights.
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 11:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Early one saturday morning I was leaving my house with my padded AR-15 case to go shooting.  Due to limited parking, I had parked a *little* too close to a stop sign, and lo-and-behold a cop is writing me a ticket.  

He sees me walking up with this gun case, and asks "Is this your car?".  "Yes", I say.  He looks down at my AR-15 case, and asks what I have in there.  A few moments later he's inspecting a colt 7.62x39 AR-15, the caliber apparantly blowing his mind.

"Do you have one of those full-auto kits in this", he asks, sniffing the air for a confiscation.  "No, that's illegal, anyways if I did it would be a registered Class III weapon."

"Wait here," he says.  He takes my rifle back to his car.  Great, now I'm gonna get hassled and be late for rifle practice.  I look up and see he's walking back with his AR-15.  After displaying his Armalite with enthusiasm, we talk about the pro's and cons of the .223 vs 7.62x39, as he had learned in the service.  He put the half-written ticket in his pocket, and let me go on my way!

For anyone looking for a good "free state" to live in, Southern Nevada has been good to me.  As long as you aren't pointing your AR at a cop, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad to see some positive LEO contacts posted.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:27:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:49:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Garand Shooter -

why don't you invite the neighbor over shooting next time?

Ya might win a convert, or you'll at least have fun watching the piss run down his leg.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:50:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I think the older I get the nicer the LEO's treat me, but hey that's OK.
The range where I shoot at has a lot of cops there and I have never had a bad experience shooting next to them, infact they are mostly good old boys that believe in the 2nd ammendment.
When asking questions about illegal firearm configurations their position has been that they don't care unless there was something else at stake, like being a drug dealer or a robber.
I've even been offered some LEO mags from one of these guys.
It has been a long time since I have had a bad expereince with a cop. Knock on wood.
Mechandy
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 6:29:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey guys,

I'm a LEO in TX.  I'm pro-gun, pro-2nd amend. Etc..  It's nice to hear about citizens having good experiences with the LEO in their community.  I completely agree with people's right to arm themselves.  We are a CC state. (This is TEXAS, of coursed we have concealed carry!) and I actively encourage people to get a CC license.  I recently stopped a guy for a traffic violation.  When conducting my violator interview he explained the he had a concealed carry permit, but didn't have a gun, and he had let his permit expire.  I asked why he would do that and explained to him that I support citizens rights to legally arm themselves.  He was obviouly caught off guard by my pro-gun attitude.  But on the other hand remember that some LEO don't care or don't know about weapons except the one that they carry, guns make a lot of LEO very nervous simply because they don't know much about them.  If you encounter someone like this just be patient, He or she is just trying to do their job, talk to them and explain to them about you guns and rights.  Also, be familiar with state and federal laws regarding firearms in your area, especially carrying and transportation of your guns.  You might think that you are in compliance and might not be so check the laws.  But most important be responsible.  I and other LEO appreciate your support, Thanks, guys
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 6:54:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:44:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:55:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I already told of me and my friends run in with the sherrif and it wasn't pleasant. In a nutshell, he pulled up while we were shooting in a designated range. He drew down on my friends and was screaming for them to put down their guns. After he looked through our stuff he accused us of having a select fire AK when we didn't even have one and there wasn't any 7.62x39 brass on the ground.  Then he drove off, but came back 10 minutes later with the same accusations. After looked through our stuff and even the undercarriage of the truck we came in, he realized that we weren't doing anything wrong so he threatened to confiscate our guns as "evidence" just so he woulnd't look bad. Hell of a way to treat law abiding and co-operative civilians.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top