Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2010 5:20:59 PM EDT
I remember hearing years ago that rabbits are only good to eat in certain months, is this true?
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Only eat them during the months with "R" in them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Why is that?

Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have heard that they get parasites. Cook well.

Much like the USA.

Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think thats salmon
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is that?

"R"abit of course.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is that?  

Colder months typically limit the number of parasites/nasties rabbits can carry.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Tularemia AKA "Rabbit fever"...

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Tularemia
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what my Grandpa taught me too.  He also told me to only shoot one on the run.  If they are just sitting... they are sick.
Yes, this too. Unless they are chewing cud.

Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm about as south as you can get (outside of FL), and I've hunted rabbits all my life.

I'll tell it the way it was explained to me by Dad:

Prior to a "heavy frost," you need to NOT hunt rabbits–– even if the season has come in.  This is because the rabbits (and squirrels for that matter) have "Wolves" in their skin that can go into the muscle tissue (I think).

"Wolves" are a maggot-like worm that forms a cyst in the tissue about the size of a nickel.  You really don't want to eat the meat while they have those.  I've killed both squirrels and rabbits that I've had to discard due to having wolves–– even after a frost (that wasn't heavy enough.)

I've been told that deer get these too, but (due to the time the season comes in) I've never personally encountered them.

–– John
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm about as south as you can get (outside of FL), and I've hunted rabbits all my life.

Prior to a "heavy frost," you need to NOT hunt rabbits–– even if the season has come in.  This is because the rabbits (and squirrels for that matter) have "Wolves" in their skin that can go into the muscle tissue (I think).

"Wolves" are a maggot-like worm that forms a cyst in the tissue about the size of a nickel.  You really don't want to eat the meat while they have those.  I've killed both squirrels and rabbits that I've had to discard due to having wolves–– even after a frost (that wasn't heavy enough.)

I've been told that deer get these too, but (due to the time the season comes in) I've never personally encountered them.

–– John

This. Exactly.

Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what my Grandpa taught me too.  He also told me to only shoot one on the run.  If they are just sitting... they are sick.

They're just well-trained VC ...Varmint-Cong
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That (red) is definitely not true––they sit motionless to hide from predators.

True. I live in the middle of the woods.  It is nothing to come home to seeing 15 motionless rabbits in my front yard.  They don't stay motionless too long after I let the JRT's out to pee.  

–– John
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Ask the Navy. Rabbit was on the shipboard menu as soon as any visitors disembarked. Every day, every month, every year.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think thats salmon

I've heard that about shrimp––colder months (Sept. thru April).

I think it's oysters...eaten raw.   Vibrio is more common in the warmer water...

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#20]
"Wolves" =  Bot Fly Larva   Me no want.  Me no want.  No good.  Yucky Yucky.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Dont listen to the prudes....

Good all year round.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This.

Eat em in cooler weather. Same as squirrels I believe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

that's what I always heard growing up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Never seen bot fly larvae in rabbit or squirrel.  Hunt them year round.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If that's the case, then you don't even need to cook the meat thoroughly (except for other reasons). Botfly larvae are edible.

EDIT: In any case, rabbits will be OK to eat as long as they're cooked properly. ...and you wash your hands/don't have any open cuts on your hands while preparing...or wear food prep gloves.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Bot fly larva is nasty to look at but doesn't hurt you.  Tularemia can kill you.  That is the true reason to avoid rabbit in the warmer months.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dont listen to the prudes....

Good all year round.

If theres no lesions on the skin yes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's the case, then you don't even need to cook the meat thoroughly (except for other reasons). Botfly larvae are edible.

EDIT: In any case, rabbits will be OK to eat as long as they're cooked properly. ...and you wash your hands/don't have any open cuts on your hands while preparing...or wear food prep gloves.

I'm quoting my own post because it's the definitive answer to this thread.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Fine to eat year round
you do need to wear rubber gloves to protect open cuts on your hands from infection from the rabbit blood due "spotted liver" or if you prefer "rabbit fever".
Me and my kid stay away from them in the summer it's just to dam hot to hunt around here.

Shoot eat enjoy.

beat by the above post
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Or is that oysters?  Hmm...
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Never seen bot fly larvae in rabbit or squirrel.  Hunt them year round.

Not In Before K_J.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is that?  

Liver parasites/other pathogens.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're just well-trained VC ...Varmint-Cong

Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

–– John

This and fleas.

Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That (red) is definitely not true––they sit motionless to hide from predators.

I've seen this with hares as well.  After a big snowstorm, they'll sit there for 1-2 days.  I scared one out from under a hung up log that was about a foot off the ground.  The snow covers up their scent nicely.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

–– John

This and fleas.

This is what I've always been taught.

As for months that have an "R" in them....September and most of October is as hot as August around here, so I don't think it would help to hunt them then.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They are "good" to eat whenever you are hungry enough, but handling them can be problematical before the first hard freeze, due to a disease called tularemia.  Bad stuff that––google it if you are curious.  

I have no idea what they do "down south" where they don't have freezes.  I do know I love to eat rabbit!  Yum!

Ummmmmmm we do have freezes here.

Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#40]
we only eat them when it cold enough to kill all the shit on them. cotton tails only, no jacks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#42]
I heard it was all okay in the Southwest. The only thing I believe you CANT do is kill Bats with baseball bats in caves- 1-Rabies 2-Beating bats with bats is illegal I think.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Ever heard of rabbit starvation?
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

–– John

I have always known the larva as being called warbles.

Link Posted: 4/23/2010 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

–– John

I have always known the larva as being called warbles.

Yup, here's some info Warbles    Last May we killed a few on a friends farm, 2 had something on them, couldn't tell if it was a warble or large ticks.  We skinned them any way, there was no damage below the skin.  Seasoned, cooked and ate em.  Not too bad...  Flip a coin, if something doesn't look right, don't eat it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top