Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2010 11:57:46 AM EDT
From Big Hollywood:
Somehow it gets worse. Cameron appears to truly see himself as his “Avatar” character Jake Sully, The Condescending Liberal Great White Savior:

“It’s not like there is any pressure on me or anything,” he said, half-joking, moments before boarding the boat. “These people really are looking for me to do something about their situation. We have to try to stop this dam. Their whole way of life, their society as they know it, depends on it.”

Source Article in NY Times:

VOLTA GRANDE DO XINGU, Brazil — They came from the far reaches of the Amazon, traveling in small boats and canoes for up to three days to discuss their fate. James Cameron, the Hollywood titan, stood before them with orange warrior streaks painted on his face, comparing the threats on their lands to a snake eating its prey.

“The snake kills by squeezing very slowly,” Mr. Cameron said to more than 70 indigenous people, some holding spears and bows and arrows, under a tree here along the Xingu River. “This is how the civilized world slowly, slowly pushes into the forest and takes away the world that used to be,” he added.

As if to underscore the point, seconds later a poisonous green snake fell out of a tree, just feet from where Mr. Cameron’s wife sat on a log. Screams rang out. Villagers scattered. The snake was killed. Then indigenous leaders set off on a dance of appreciation, ending at the boat that took Mr. Cameron away. All the while, Mr. Cameron danced haltingly, shaking a spear, a chief’s feathery yellow and white headdress atop his head.

Opening of James Cameron's Letter to the President of Brazil
April 8, 2010

Your Excellency, President Luis Inácio Lula da Silva,

I am writing to you as a concerned citizen of the Earth and on behalf of my children and future generations all over the world. I am not a political or business leader, I am a film maker whose last two movies have been the two highest grossing films in history. The most recent, "Avatar" has made US$ 2.7 billion so far at the box office, almost a billion more than my previous "Titanic." As you may know, "Avatar" is a film about the destruction of the natural world by expanding industrial interests, and the consequent impact to Indigenous populations. The film asks us all to examine our values, and to reconnect with each other and with the natural world. Its unprecedented success indicates the extent to which people, all over the world, are thinking about these issues as never before. In fact "Avatar" is the highest grossing film ever in Brazil, as well as many other countries.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You wanna live in harmony with nature?

Go harmonize.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#2]
"THE TREES ARE COMPUTERS MAN, THE TREES MAN!!!! ONES AND ZEROS FOR ALL!!!"
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#3]
<South Park's Getting Gay With Kids>
"There's a place called the rainforest
That really sucks ass!"
</SPGGWK>
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Are his methods unsound?
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are his methods unsound?

I watched a snail crawl across the edge of a straight razor.  That is my dream, that is my nightmare, to crawl across the edge of a straight razor.

We must kill them.  Pig after pig, cow after cow, village after village.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Insects don't harmonize..................
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Sticking feathers up your but does not make you a chicken!

(I know, different movie, but applicable)
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, been nice knowing ya...

NOT!!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#10]
This is what happens when you leave the make believe world of movie-making and enter the world of reality convinced that the two are the same.  I compare it to an alzheimers patient wandering out of a secure nursing home.  Generally those events don't end well and neither will this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Rainbow Six his ass
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I cant wait to hear about him coming across an unknown tribe in some backwater, of the amazon, who practice cannibalism.

Someone needs to photochop him in a big pot of boiling water with natives gathered round' licking their chops.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#13]
April 8, 2010

Your Excellency, President Luis Inácio Lula da Silva,

I am writing to you as a concerned citizen of the Earth and on behalf of my children and future generations all over the world. I am not a political or business leader, I am a film maker whose last two movies have been the two highest grossing films in history. The most recent, "Avatar" has made US$ 2.7 billion so far at the box office, almost a billion more than my previous "Titanic." As you may know, "Avatar" is a film about the destruction of the natural world by expanding industrial interests, and the consequent impact to Indigenous populations. The film asks us all to examine our values, and to reconnect with each other and with the natural world. Its unprecedented success indicates the extent to which people, all over the world, are thinking about these issues as never before. In fact "Avatar" is the highest grossing film ever in Brazil, as well as many other countries.

I'm thinking this email landed squarely in the spam folder.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Dams, which provide cheap, reliable, pollution free power to many and create water reserviors are now evil apparently.

Liberals know no logic.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#15]
There aint no way a tribe is getting in the way of a dam,lol.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you know what the man is saying? Do you? This is dialectics. It's very simple dialectics. One through nine, no maybes, no supposes, no fractions –– you can't travel in space, you can't go out into space, you know, without, like, you know, with fractions

Nope cant go into space with fractions
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#17]
He went full retard.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy the property.
Use all those billions and buy it.
Bet he isn't willing to go that far, now is he?
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quick, someone photoshop me up a pic of the Terminator saying, "Son, I am disappoint."
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Dude has gone full looney tunes...

ETA: Just realized he's also looking at bewbs in the first picture...
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm gonna laugh if he gets ate by a jaguar.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Make billions: Move to the rain forest
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks like his native friends traded their old-school loin cloths for more modern-style threads.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#24]
He looks like a doddering old man in that pic. Which he isn't, but the photo doesn't help...
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#25]
He needs Sean Penn to help him!

They could be the gayest most retarded super duo since Air Supply.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I demand he paint himself blue.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow, Another Hollywood dipshit begging for attention.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dams, which provide cheap, reliable, pollution free power to many and create water reserviors are now evil apparently.

Liberals know no logic.

Actually dams would probably dramatically increase the viable population of those areas. So I for one applaud his efforts.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#29]
For the movie industry's sake, I hope they're not cannibals...

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Buy the property.
Use all those billions and buy it.
Bet he isn't willing to go that far, now is he?

They never are. But they'd damn sure use our money to do it.

I am beginning to hate the self-annointed elite in this country more than ever before. We are all merely peasants to be ground underneath their feet as dust. The image of a guilotine brings a smile to my lips when I think of the elite. But for a much different reason than petty jealousy.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#31]
James Cameron....the "Other" White Meat...I hope they eat his liberal ass.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Can't wait to read about the unintended consequences when the dam is not built and hundreds of babies die because of the lack of electricity at some shit hole hospital that needed the dam to run.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#33]
"Whenever cannibals are on the brink of starvation, Heaven, in its infinite mercy, sends them a nice plump missionary Hollywood producer"

- Oscar Wilde

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
James Cameron....the "Other" White Meat...I hope they eat his liberal ass.

I love Arfcom.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#35]
He'll have fun with it until he realizes that he's now a part of the food chain.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Rainbow Six his ass

No shit.  I think I'll read that again, I love that ending.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#37]
He was sure a lot more fun in the old days.  Developing the 3D technology:

"He figured they’d start with a simple test using an actor or two, but Cameron had other ideas. He asked Pace to install the gear in a rented World War II-era P-51 fighter and then sent him up in a B-17 Flying Fortress. Cameron jumped in behind the pilot of the P-51 and once airborne started filming while the pilot fired .50-caliber machine gun blanks at Pace’s B-17. “It was my first taste of what Jim considers ‘testing,’” Pace says."

Link to wired article: JC interview
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Eh, that "rain forest tribe" has guys wearing flip flops, board shorts and jeans. Give us a higher res pic and I bet we can find an iPhone.

There happened to be cameras there in the wild to capture Cameron's benevolence. Funny how that always works out...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top