Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2001 1:50:09 PM EDT
Could someone tell me why I always get the 'not responding' message after being on any of the AR pages???  It takes me about 4 or 5 times to view a message because I have to keep 'end tasking' when the page freezes up....and then try again. What is up with this??????  I have no problems with any other site I go to, so I am sure it is only on here.........anyone have the same problems???  Please email me if you have any suggestions

thanks
RW
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By GNR Surplus:
It takes me about 4 or 5 times to view a message because I have to keep 'end tasking' when the page freezes up....and then try again. What is up with this??????
View Quote

Yeah, it's apparently a known problem for anyone using Netscape browsers.

Supposedly they're going to put up a new version of the site that won't do this in a couple of weeks.  In the meantime, I have found a solution of sorts:  before visiting this site, go into Netscape's "preferences" section (Alt-E, E), click on "Advanced" (last item -- DON'T click on the plus mark next to it, just on the item itself), and disable JavaScript.

Then bring up www.ar15.com (the main page).  Once that is up and viewable, you can go back and enable JavaScript again (otherwise the forum pages won't show up properly).

Since doing this, my browser has stopped randomly crashing whenever I was viewing AR15.com, and the main page loads in fifteen or twenty seconds instead of a couple of minutes.

Personally, I always open new pages in new windows.  If you actually move back and forth so that the main page has to be reloaded, you will have to disable/re-enable JavaScript each time that you go back to it.

This process doesn't take long at all (two keystrokes, two clicks, and hit the enter key).  It's a pain in the @$$, but it's mainly because the guy who wrote the site wanted to use fancy bells and whistles that don't work right in Netscape -- you could blame him for using them, but it's really more Netscape's problem for not implementing them correctly.

This is why, whenever people develop web pages, they should use the least-common-denominator as much as possible.  No Flash, no stylesheets, no Java, and minimal JavaScript.  It saves time, money, bandwidth, and user pain. [kill]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the reply....but I am using IE4, not Netscape :)

Guess I will have to wait until the new version of the site is up.....until then I will continue to be frustrated, lol.

Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:41:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top