Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2012 11:29:03 AM EDT
So far my wife and I have struck out when it comes to buying scallpos that don't taste like metal or medicine.  I remember a chef saying something about a chemical being added but forget what it does to the cooked scallop.  Wife suggests putting them in milk first but I know that is done for live shrimp to clean them out but not sure on the scallpos.  We buy diver scallops so they are not the little things that are going to waste!
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a difference between 'DeepSea Scallops' and 'Bay Scallops', a lot of the latter being punched out skate. Real bay scallops aren't much better IMHO.

Wild deep sea scallops are usually about 1 to 2 oz each (but can get up to 4 oz) and should have the eyes attached. They are generally harvested from the north atlantic and are better than the Japanese or Chinese 'cultivated' scallops.

Try to find 'Dry Wild North Atantic Sea Scallops' as they are the best there is....but expect to pay a premium price. The chemical you refered to is

Sodium tri-poly phosphate. 'Dry' scallops don't have this treatment.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I buy wild caught scallops at Sams club for $12.50 a pound and they never taste off.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#3]
come to New Zealand, in scallop season you just tow a dredge behind your boat and take them home! never had any that tasted of chemicals?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:40:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm so glad scallop seaosn just started down here.  

To those of you who "poo poo" bay scallops, come over to the Eastern FL Panhandle and get soem yourself and then post a review.

We like to just shuck, add a little squeeze of fresh lemon, and eat on the boat.  FWC never checks your belly when looking to see if you went over the limit.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#7]
How are these compared to sushi grade scallops?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top