Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/10/2009 7:07:15 PM EDT

Hey all. I realize that this is more dedicated to real birds, but I figured you all would find this more interested than GD at large. I have a long one I am writing out and might take me a couple days to get it all up here - Lots of pictures, and my project still is in its early stages. I figure I will document it here.
What I am recreating is the cockpit of a F-16E Block 60 aircraft, and will be utilizing a 56 inch flat screen TV for the primary visuals, plus (3) 10.4 inch TFT monitors for the three MFDs. The real ones are 8.4 inchers, but I picked up the 3 10.4s for 65 dollars each - so I can just work the extra into the design (hiding the R/L MFD behind the HUD Box, and the center one through using a taped front bevel to the center pedestal.

The primary reference photo showing the differences between the Block 60 vs the 50 or the MLU (52).

My plan drawing - scale it to 103% for a 1:1 ratio. It's almost complete - I need to finish designing the FUEL panel and INSTR panel on the R AUX Console. The left and Right primary consoles are not exactly accurate - I live in a barracks room (no roommate!) so I shortened the consoles and removed the least used and unimportant panels. Once I get out and get my own place to keep this thing, I'm going to redo the consoles as accurate.
Hope you all enjoy this!
John
UPDATE #1 - 11APR09

MLU Misc panel. I'm going to use this until I can design a Block 60 series one. I got it all wired up to a DB25 connector to plug into my interface.

2 out of my 3 screens up and running.

Replica throttle arm made of mostly wood. Has a functional adjustable friction plate. Im running the Cougar HOTAS and just need to make an adaptor to attach the throttle grip to the arm, then figure out where to route the cables from it, then rig the pot to an arm coming out the bottom.
UPDATE #2 - 11APR09/1851
Finished up my design for the ICP, which features an intergrated DED (Data Entry Display)/PFD (Primary Fault Display). I need to tweak it a little if I find someone to CNC it, but this one is designed to hold me over with a hand made plate.

Also, assembled my PHCC Motherboard assembled from a raw PCB - this will support up to 32 analog inputs and will allow up to (16) 64 input daughter boards plugged into it, plus several daisy chained LED or 7segment driver boards. (All of which are assembled but not pictured.)
UPDATE #3 - 15APR09
Update:

It's like Christmas! This is what came out of the Box I got today.

The keys from the Block 50 ICP I got sent me. All I need for him to make now is (right vertical row, from top to bottom) is "NAV", "HUD WARN", and "FLT ACK", plus the same rocker switch from the Block 50/52 ICP, and I need to order 4 standard B50/52 thumb wheels.

Warning Panel well backlit. Each of these blocks will have an LED placed behind them.

Landing Gear Panel. Awesome quality...except it seems that a piece of paper got laid over it while it was still drying and ended up smudged pretty bad. Those smudges are permanently in the panel unfortunately.

Closeup of the EW Panel and the HMCS Panels....I love them. I can't wait for my Display and keypad boards to get in for them!
UPDATE #4 - 17APR09/1538

Just finishing up the Solidworks drawings for the tub. This is the tub that all the parts will sit in.
I'll have some neat pictures of a replica ACES II here soon. My CNCer came up with some improvements to the design, so I'm getting it reworked. He is actually talking about selling these as a kit for other simulator builders.

UPDATE #5 - 23APR2009/1157
Well, Bought a pair of the Logitech Z-10 speakers, used, just for the LCD screen and electronics.
Ripped the speakers apart, took out all the electronics, and now I have a display that will function as my DED (Data Entry Display) which will be mounted inside my ICP.

Picture of the real Korry ICP:

UPDATE #6 - 06MAY2009/1600
Well, came into quite an arrangement with a CNCer. Gonna be able to fabricate more parts than I thought I would. Just gonna have about a 6 week spin up time and then he will crank em for me.
Woohoo!
Here is a few renders of models I have been working on:

ACES II (Actually his model - getting a copy for free cause I made his website for him.)

Korry ICP Model
Decided to hold off on electronics til I finish getting all my panels and such.

UPDATE #7: 22MAY2009/0415

Just got some parts for the ACES II.

All I ordered was the seat cushions and the risers.

He threw in a set of decals, and a ejection arming lever.

The arming lever looks resin, so I am guessing it is one of Dunk's replication products.

The risers don't have the Koch fitting, I may worry about finding one cheap....or just going with a similar fitting from bits and pieces of a T10C I have laying around.

Lap Belt (With all hardware to include mini-Koch fitting.)
&
Oxygen bottle with fittings.

UPDATE #8: 02JUN2009/1925
Finally got in a large order from my supplier.
By the end of the month, I should have my ACES II Seat and the majority of my structure.
As promised:
Left Console:

Overall

Test

Fore Left Console
Right Console:

Kinda Overall View

Forward Right Console

Rear Right Console
Got a couple panels missing in these layouts, plus the spacers and back panels.
Until I had the consoles laid out....that REALLY REALLY brings home the fact of how small and cramped the cockpit is...but I imagine a cockpit would have to be very small to reach everything when you are strapped in tight and pulling or pushing gees.

UPDATE #9: 16JUL09/0819
MASSIVE Update!
Built my ACES II Seat.

Dry fit of the center column.

Center column near complete.

Parts for one of the sides, minus detail panel.

Side assembled, minus the detail panel (Its easiest to attach the detail panels last.)

Rocket Tube glue drying.

Sides to the seat.

Back of center column complete.

Completed Center Column.

Seat finished, but unpainted. (Front view.)

Seat finished, but unpainted. (Back view.)

Painted Seat.

Color balance was wioerd on this one. The actual color is a darker primer grey with a blue undertone.

Back detail shot.
All in all, needs one more sanding and painting probably. Rules of thumb - when buying paint, buy twice as much as you actually think you need...and Krylon 360 degree swivel nozzles are amazing.
Total time for build was about 7 hours. (To include multiple coats of paint/glue drying.)

UPDATE #10: 27JUL09/1640
Another update! Got some goodies in:

EW Panel Jettison Switch (The knob/rotary thats one there is from an Apache; will get replaced with the proper one at a later time - still gotta find a line on knobs. Would crap myself for a set of real ones.)

Real EW Panel Switch/Light PCB

OSRAM Board

All together now!
This EW is gonna look NICE!
And some more goodies from Mike!

Last few panels

Brow Light's/Master Caution.

Lit Up!

Panel Indicators

UPDATE #11: 11AUG09/0645

Just a few new items. Knobs, Rubber Switch Caps, and Gear Indicator Lights.

Knobs and More.

Alt Gear Handle

Alt Gear Handle Assembly

Link Posted: 4/10/2009 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#1]
<Reserved>
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
<Reserved>
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]
<Reserved>
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 12:09:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

<Reserved>

tagged

Link Posted: 4/11/2009 6:48:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow you got alot of time on your hands dont you.
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Very interesting project. Can’t wait to see it completed.  

If my profession didn't offer me the opportunity to fly, I'd contract you to build me a helicopter simulator.

Yeah...being an MP...woulda tried to fly if I wasn't so damn nearsighted. I am having the ACES-II CNCed out of MDF and it will be being shipped to me at the end of the week.

Link Posted: 4/11/2009 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I am tagging as well!

Can't wait to see the progress
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#9]
<Reserved>

Link Posted: 4/11/2009 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag for updates....
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#11]
This isn't a tag, I just used the subscribe button up top........
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 6:36:53 AM EDT
[#12]
tag for  updates
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#13]
taggage
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#14]
This is relevant to my interests...
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Lots of tags here...I don't think I have ever had this many people tag a thread. It will come along soon - This is not a cheap project, especially on a E4s pay.

I might have found someone to CNC me out the tub. Woohoo!

Got the designs cadded out for the three MFDs, and the ICP, just need to find someone who can fabricate the panels. I want all my panels to be backlightable. I'm not completely sure what color to backlight them, that is one thing I have not been able to find, is any pictures of the 'pit at night.

btw, If anyone knows anything about electronics, the one area I am not strong in is PCB design - I need to find someone who can help me design a board to interface the OSRAM Intelligent Displays via the PHCC.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Latest update, see bottom of original post....slowly coming along.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#18]
How hard would it be to interface the controls to an RC jet?
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#19]
No idea honestly. I don't fly RC. However, if you can fly an RC et with a computer, not hard. Basically what the interface does is turn all the switches in the 'pit into something that is read as a joystick with a whole crapload of axes and buttons.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#20]
awesome!
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#21]
okay
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow! Budget?
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#23]
pretty cool
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I've seen/repaired many such control boxes and their panels over the years. That LOOKS authentic. If it was clean and perfect, I'd suspect something was wrong.

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#25]
You have a point...damn pilots spilling their coffee huh?

Any pointers from the guys who build/repair this stuff for a living?

My 1SGT did a random room inspection the other day on my day off. He looked at my sim, looked at my electronics workbench I had set up, looked at me, and told me there better not be no holes blown through the roof of his barracks cause I misfired a seat.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#26]

This is amazing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Cost so far has been just this side of 2000 dollars. Many people have built the Block 50/52 MLU already, I am the first to do the Block 60 to my knowledge so many of my expenses are R&D costs.

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#28]
wow!
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Very cool.  Costs less than a higher end gun so far, and way less than the typical hobby car.

I suspect there are many companies that could put your skills to good use.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#30]
All I basically am doing is reverse engineering the cockpit based off of 4 or so photographs, with minor modifications to take into account the software and interfacing hardware limitations. Though, I sure wouldn't mind a job offer - got 8 months til I get out of the Army, and my prospects are starting to look fairly slim.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Hmmm, if you can pull it off I am quite impresed. When it is done should be a lot of fun, all of the game geeks in a 20 mile radius will want to be your best friend.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
All I basically am doing is reverse engineering the cockpit based off of 4 or so photographs, with minor modifications to take into account the software and interfacing hardware limitations. Though, I sure wouldn't mind a job offer - got 8 months til I get out of the Army, and my prospects are starting to look fairly slim.

Good heavens, man.  What talent!  Have you sent your resume in to Lockheed?  

I can see it now, HR reads the questions on the job application, for example:  What hobbies do you have?  "I build F-16 Block 60 flight simulators in my spare time".

I'm impressed.  Really, my dad used to hire people at LMSC in Sunnyvale who's only "talent" was completing college.  You have a bright future ahead of you.  Don't let the recession discourage you.  

Good luck to you.

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah...and to think...I'm a damned MP
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#34]
That's ok, you can't have enough intelligent MPs

I see an engineering degree in your future.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That's ok, you can't have enough intelligent MPs

I see an engineering degree in your future.

Agreed.  Make sure you're eligible for the GI Bill benefits.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#36]

I want a Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering degree...but...I suck at math. No amount of studying has helped. Biggest reason I haven't gone to college while I was in.

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Holy shit....

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I want a Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering degree...but...I suck at math. No amount of studying has helped. Biggest reason I haven't gone to college while I was in.

Don't sweat it. Just do it!

I understand the reasons for not doing it while on active duty....hell, I ended up being a single parent for those last 5 1/2 years, myself. I could've been using that 100% TA, but didn't have the time, and a million other excuses. I know that it would be easier for you, than me, without two kids like mine , who seem to want things like attention, food, etc.

Once you get immersed in the math you need, and where you are using on a regular basis, with a relevant application, it all becomes easy. In HS, I sucked at/didn't care for the math classes and my grades in those classes showed it . But I was using that same math in Physics and Electronics Technology classes where I got "A"s. Hmmmm......

My dad, the old school - slide rule - mechanical engineer, who retired from Kenworth a few years ago as their chief applications engineer, finally admitted to having had his ass thoroughly and regularly kicked by the required college math classes. Obviously, he made it....as it turned out, he said I actually pulled better grades and have a higher GPA than he did.

I also seem to be a much better student now, than I was way back when. Or I'm better at compensating for my all fVcking off!

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#39]
LOL. Roger. I understand what you mean. Hmm...the new (Post-9/11) GI Bill starts in AUG. Should get on that boat after I ETS.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#40]
... AWESOME!

In.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#41]
A man after my own heart.

Your throttle setup is a pretty good interpretation of the real thing.   I could show you a box of parts that would make you drool.

I want my own cockpit simulator.   I really do.  

I've flown one of Lockheed/Martin's F-16 Block 52 mission simulators, complete with 11-channel dome

projection system,  before, and it's a hoot and a half.    I'll have another chance in December, when the

trade show comes around again,  and at that time I'm actually going to talk to them about buying the

show floor simulator as it's reaching the end of its trade show service life.   If I can get it,  I'll find a place

for it,  believe me.

Your screen solution can be improved.  You know, digital projectors ARE getting pretty cheap these days.

Why settle for a tiny little 56" flat screen TV when you can have a 120" or larger display via a low cost projector?

It really makes a difference.   The larger the screen, the more sense of motion will be conveyed to you.

So what's your flight platform?  Falcon Allied Force?  (For the F-16, there is still no other choice.)

CJ

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#42]
There is better than AF - Falcon 4.0 with the OpenFalcon modification. Leaps and bounds ahead of AF. Especially when it comes to data transparency so I can get accurate readouts in my pit directly from the sim.

Also, the LCD is good enough....I live in the barracks still. Small room.

And I would kill for some certain parts. I need a LEFT AUX in the worst way as that is going to be the single hardest part of the pit to fab.

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#43]
OpenFalcon is still an extension of Falcon 4.0.   I haven't played with OF yet.

It's amazing to think that today's best combat flight sim is essentially the same one that was the best 11 years ago.

(F4 has a 1998 copyright date.)

I also have a Cougar HOTAS setup.   I'm planning to upgrade the gimbals in it but I'll be doing the machining work MYSELF,

as I'm setting up a hobby machine shop for a pile of projects and hopefully some money making jobs, too.

CJ

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#44]
The Cougar is nice...I got two! I'm modifying one with the strain gauges for a force driven solution like the real thing.

Yes it is...but the AF is a branch of the original Falcon 4.0 that is a step backwards code wise in several aspects. There are good things on the horizon. I'm waiting for DCS to release the A-10C...

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#45]
tagged!
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm intrigued
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Big time tag!  Impressive work here, and I look forward to seeing more.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Holy shit!  That's impressive!  Where the  hell did you learn how to do all of that crap?  Man, I'm a mouth breather compared to you, man.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Lots of tags here...I don't think I have ever had this many people tag a thread. It will come along soon - This is not a cheap project, especially on a E4s pay.

I might have found someone to CNC me out the tub. Woohoo!

Got the designs cadded out for the three MFDs, and the ICP, just need to find someone who can fabricate the panels. I want all my panels to be backlightable. I'm not completely sure what color to backlight them, that is one thing I have not been able to find, is any pictures of the 'pit at night.

btw, If anyone knows anything about electronics, the one area I am not strong in is PCB design - I need to find someone who can help me design a board to interface the OSRAM Intelligent Displays via the PHCC.

You need help with just the PCB or a circuit design too?

Send me an IM and I might be able to help you out some. Send me  a link to the data sheet for your display and controller too.

I have a BS EET. I do a lot of printed circuit card layouts, a fair amount of circuit card design, and I write a bit of microcontroller code. I have written a lot of PIC assembly and am doing a project now in Dynamic C/Rabbit Assembly.

I may be able to help get you going in the right direction.

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#50]
That is awsome.

I have been playing Falcon since the first one in CGA then to Falcon AT, 3.0 and 4.0.

Latest was the Fighter Ops that is still vapor ware as far as I am concerned.

Flight sims were the first to really push the PC untill the FPS came about.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top