Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2012 8:21:38 AM EDT
Battery acid has coated about half the inside of the tube of my Mag Lite flashlight. Is there a good way to clean this out? The acid runs the length of the tube on one side but has not gotten into any threads or springs or anything.

If it was a cheaper flashlight I'd just try to scrub it out or throw it away but I dont want to do anything that will cause any further damage to Mag Lite. It's the only one I have!

Any suggestions as to how best to remove his stuff?
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Throw in scrap metal bin and buy a new one.

I've never seen a cleaning job end well on flashlights.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Baking soda and Dawn dish soap.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#3]
If the batteries were Duracell or eveready call them. They'll replace the flashlight and batteries. And toss in some coupons.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Battery acid has coated about half the inside of the tube of my Mag Lite flashlight. Is there a good way to clean this out? The acid runs the length of the tube on one side but has not gotten into any threads or springs or anything.

If it was a cheaper flashlight I'd just try to scrub it out or throw it away but I dont want to do anything that will cause any further damage to Mag Lite. It's the only one I have!

Any suggestions as to how best to remove his stuff?

That entire switch can be removed, it's not easy but reccomended in a case like this.

Then use a shotgun cleaning rod, and a large nylon brush to work the exfoliation and chunks out. You might have to use soemthing more agressive like Scotch-Brite.

Once you have all the nasty stuff out, if you don't coat the surface it will continue to corrode.  
A spray lacquer like Glyptal, or a dry film lube is what I've used to seal up damaged maglites.

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If the batteries were Duracell or eveready call them. They'll replace the flashlight and batteries. And toss in some coupons.

The batteries were Ray-O-Vac.  They that is worth a call?

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.maglite.com/faq_details.asp?faqProd=1AAA

I can’t get the batteries out of my flashlight. They're stuck inside. How do I change them? Is this covered by my warranty?

When this happens, it almost certainly means that the batteries have leaked and are stuck inside the barrel. Note: Batteries normally swell before leaking causing them to get stuck inside the barrel. Mag Instrument does not warrant against battery leakage, however, we do have agreements with Duracell, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac that allow us to replace your flashlight. If one of these brands of batteries is stuck (by leaking in your flashlight), send the flashlight to us and we will repair or replace the entire flashlight at no charge to you. We recommend that you ship the flashlight UPS or Postal Insured for tracking purposes. Please send to; Mag Instrument, Inc., Attn; Warranty Dept., 1721 E. Locust St., Ontario, Ca. 91761-7769. You pay the freight to us and we pay it going back. Please also include a letter with your name, address, phone number and a description of the problem. Don’t forget to indicate what brand of batteries is inside if you know. We will check to verify that it is Duracell, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac; and if it is, we will send you a new flashlight at no charge. Occasionally we open the flashlight and we find it contains leaking batteries that are not Duracell, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac. In cases of "off-brand" battery leakage, we can replace your flashlight for a charge of –– $12.00 plus your state's sales tax for a ‘C’ or ‘D’ Mag-Lite® flashlight, or $8.00 plus tax for a Mini-Maglite® flashlight. If you are not sure, send the flashlight to us, with the batteries inside, and we will check to determine the brand. If we find that they are "off-brand" batteries, we will contact you and arrange for payment before sending you the replacement flashlight.

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can’t get the batteries out of my flashlight. They're stuck inside. How do I change them? Is this covered by my warranty?

When this happens, it almost certainly means that the batteries have leaked and are stuck inside the barrel. Note: Batteries normally swell before leaking causing them to get stuck inside the barrel. Mag Instrument does not warrant against battery leakage, however, we do have agreements with Duracell, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac that allow us to replace your flashlight. If one of these brands of batteries is stuck (by leaking in your flashlight), send the flashlight to us and we will repair or replace the entire flashlight at no charge to you. We recommend that you ship the flashlight UPS or Postal Insured for tracking purposes. Please send to; Mag Instrument, Inc., Attn; Warranty Dept., 1721 E. Locust St., Ontario, Ca. 91761-7769. You pay the freight to us and we pay it going back. Please also include a letter with your name, address, phone number and a description of the problem. Don’t forget to indicate what brand of batteries is inside if you know. We will check to verify that it is Duracell, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac; and if it is, we will send you a new flashlight at no charge. Occasionally we open the flashlight and we find it contains leaking batteries that are not Duracell, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac. In cases of "off-brand" battery leakage, we can replace your flashlight for a charge of –– $12.00 plus your state's sales tax for a ‘C’ or ‘D’ Mag-Lite® flashlight, or $8.00 plus tax for a Mini-Maglite® flashlight. If you are not sure, send the flashlight to us, with the batteries inside, and we will check to determine the brand. If we find that they are "off-brand" batteries, we will contact you and arrange for payment before sending you the replacement flashlight.

appreciate the link.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sent an email to Mag Lite to see about sending the flashlight to them. It'd be better I think than trying to clean it out although I do appreciate the replies.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]
take a 1/2" wooden dowel

wrap end with scotch bright pad, or a piece of sand paper (use foam or something to build it to the diameter you want)

hold in place with some electrical tape on one end, or a small cable tie

put it in a drill and get rid of corrosion.

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Ballistol neutralizes battery acid & works well for cleaning up after a leaky old corroded battery.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#11]

I call the battery manufacturer.  They send me a check for the flashlight and vouchers for the batteries.  I have done this several times with Duracell, Energizer, Everready, Kodak, etc....

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Speaking of warranties. I just received a $200 check from Energizer to replace a pulseox meter that had leaking batteries.

Nice to know they stand behind their product.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Thought I'd send out a quick update:  I ended up contacting Mag Lite and sent the damaged flashlight and corroded batteries to them.  My damaged flashlight was replaced with a new Mag Lite complete with spare light bulb. A different color than the original but brand new and ready to go.

Thanks to all for the replies and advice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top