Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2011 12:34:40 PM EDT
A regular 5 blade 52" ceiling fan has two screws for each blade.  If I added a common washer to increase the blade pitch would it work or would disaster ensue?  Trying to get more umph out of an existing fan.

FB
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The motor probably isn't really strong enough to get much more air flow, no matter what you do.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Replace it with a 4 blade fan. They move more air.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The motor probably isn't really strong enough to get much more air flow, no matter what you do.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the fan is an wet location rated heavy duty fan.  The motor assembly is 25lbs. and will run the funky huge leaf blades that the boss did not want.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the fan is an wet location rated heavy duty fan.  The motor assembly is 25lbs. and will run the funky huge leaf blades that the boss did not want.

Then it probably has a little more HP to give. Try the washer thing. The worst that can happen is that a blade comes loose and impales someone.

Seriously though, it is worth a try and there shouldn't be any harm.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I think adding a washer under one screw on each blade would cause them to become unbalanced and cause the fan motor to go into death wobble mode.
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 3:02:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think adding a washer under one screw on each blade would cause them to become unbalanced and cause the fan motor to go into death wobble mode.

why?

make sure the washers are the same thickness, if you can weigh them, do so
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

why?

Because the blades will not be balanced because of the washer on only one side hence heavier on one side and lighter on the other. It doesn't take much weight difference to cause fans to become unbalanced and once balance is lost the fan starts to wobble.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why?

Because the blades will not be balanced because of the washer on only one side hence heavier on one side and lighter on the other. It doesn't take much weight difference to cause fans to become unbalanced and once balance is lost the fan starts to wobble.

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 3:12:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why?

not going to unbalance it if you put the same weight at all the points
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why?

The problem is you are not putting the same weight at all the points you are putting the weight only on one side of the blade making one side heavier than the other which means the blades are not balanced. The OP needs to try it and let us know what happens it may work fine and it may not only one way to tell. The other problem I see is that fans blades are attached to the motor backets with three screws so putting a washer under one screw will require some kind of spacer under the middle screw which will add to the unbalance affect since you now have two different size weights on the blades
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

why?

The problem is you are not putting the same weight at all the points you are putting the weight only on one side of the blade making one side heavier than the other which means the blades are not balanced. The OP needs to try it and let us know what happens it may work fine and it may not only one way to tell. The other problem I see is that fans blades are attached to the motor backets with three screws so putting a washer under one screw will require some kind of spacer under the middle screw which will add to the unbalance affect since you now have two different size weights on the blades

Whoops!  Three screws for the blade to bracket. I am talking about the two screws bracket to motor.

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Joseph Turrisi:
Please stop posting in this thread. You obviously don't understand how spinning objects are balanced.

Adding a washer to one of the screws on each blade will not cause an unbalanced condition in your ceiling fan.

It also will not make any appreciable difference in the amount of air moved by the fan. You need either a bigger fan or a four-bladed fan.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Joseph Turrisi:
Please stop posting in this thread. You obviously don't understand how spinning objects are balanced.

Adding a washer to one of the screws on each blade will not cause an unbalanced condition in your ceiling fan.

It also will not make any appreciable difference in the amount of air moved by the fan. You need either a bigger fan or a four-bladed fan.

Well if you don't like what I have to say then you should just ingnore my post from now on as I will post in any thread I please. As far as understanding spinning objects being balanced any time an object is heavier on one side than the other it can cause balance and vibration issues. I have seen many a fan wobble from being out of balance in fact they even make weight kits to help correct this problem. Ever look at the drive shaft in your car and notice it has weight tabs welded on one side of the yoke it is there to help balance the shaft so it doesn' wear out the u-joints
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why?

Whoops!  Three screws for the blade to bracket. I am talking about the two screws bracket to motor.

I don't see any problem in that area but I don't know if it would help any either
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Joseph Turrisi:

Serious Question:Why do 4-blade fans move more air than 5-blade fans?
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Joseph Turrisi:

Well if you don't like what I have to say then you should just ingnore my post from now on as I will post in any thread I please. As far as understanding spinning objects being balanced any time an object is heavier on one side than the other it can cause balance and vibration issues. I have seen many a fan wobble from being out of balance in fact they even make weight kits to help correct this problem. Ever look at the drive shaft in your car and notice it has weight tabs welded on one side of the yoke it is there to help balance the shaft so it doesn' wear out the u-joints

He didn't say he doesn't like what you have to say...frankly it's hilarious...he's trying to protect you from yourself.

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#17]
www.bigassfans.com
Get a REAL fan!
CJ

Link Posted: 6/7/2011 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
www.bigassfans.com

Get a REAL fan!

CJ

I went to a friends shop & saw a 20' ceiling fan and said "Damn thats a big ass fan!" he said yep it is...

7mm

Link Posted: 6/7/2011 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Firebird69,
Yes you could shim the fan blade to increase its angle of attack or bite of the air...but only so much before the fan blade 'stalls' and loses its effectiveness.  As far as balancing the rig just use the stickee weights that came w/ the fan.  If you don't have those use double stick tape & pennies.

Back in college one of my friends was an aero engineer...his solution was to add moving slots & flaps to his fan blades.  The fan's speed determined if the slots would deploy.  The flaps were always set.  It worked but the extra weight took its toll on the motor...you kind of had to hand start it then turn it on.

7mm
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#20]
My sister asked me to look at a fan that had a death wobble.  Turned out my neice was throwing shoes at the fan and bent one blade at an increased angle.  

I took all the blades off the fan, welded two bolts to a peice of steel, clamped it to the workbench, attached the blades and used an angle finder to adjust the blades until they were all at the same angle again.  Was really easy to be honest.  Tested the fan with me sanding directly under it so if something flew off it wouldn't hit me atleast.....  It has been in use over a year and has had no issues.

I would think you could do this to increase the angle, but do not know how much angle you could add before affecting the motor or strength of the blade.  One the model I was working on it was not an issue since I was returning it to the factory angle, and the blades were vastly strong enough to have had their angle inceased anyway.  I would think there is a chance you could burn out the motor this way, but if it did, it would be a good reason to change out the fan anyway.

I make no guarantees that thing will work, but it might.  Just my .02
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Joseph Turrisi:

I hope you are not being serious, that is some funny shit you're posting. If you are then you really need to go brush up on a little physics, and geometry.

Thanks for the laugh

Link Posted: 6/8/2011 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Joseph Turrisi:

I hope you are not being serious, that is some funny shit you're posting. If you are then you really need to go brush up on a little physics, and geometry.

Thanks for the laugh

Okay so what part in red above  do you have a problem with.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Joseph Turrisi:

Thanks for the laugh

Okay so what part in red above  do you have a problem with.

Well...just...nevermind.  Let's just repeat what the above poster said:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/8/2011 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#24]
to JosephTurrisi:

Your comment quoted in red is valid.  I think the issue you are having is visualizing what the OP is proposing.

If he put the washer on every blade he would be adding the weight across the entire circle and would not be messing with the balance.  Thus is would not cause a wobble.  If he only added the washer to one blade, or really any combination other then them all, then he might have a wobble.  I am not sure how much or little of a difference this would cause as the weight would be very close to the center of the rotation and somewhat minimal depending on the weight of what he used for a spacer.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#25]
The funny is huge in this one.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I installed the light kit on the fan and took a bracket/blade off to take a closer look.  A single washer won't and the screws  are too short.  I am going to look at other blades and brackets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top