Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 9:14:30 PM EDT
Tonite, my girlfriend and I saw "The Great Raid". I'm not really a man of words, so I'm going to make this short. The movie started off with a brief introduction about all of the POW's and how they ended up in the Philippines. It wasn't a big hollywood shoot 'em up movie. It was more of a military strategy movie. I'd recommend it to anyone with a couple of hours to burn. The "bad" side of the movie is now I want to order an M1 Garand from the CMP
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
thanks i might have to check it out
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The big, fiery explosions I see in the advertisements tell me everything I need to know about this movie.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Tonite, my girlfriend and I saw "The Great Raid". I'm not really a man of words, so I'm going to make this short. The movie started off with a brief introduction about all of the POW's and how they ended up in the Philippines. It wasn't a big hollywood shoot 'em up movie. It was more of a military strategy movie. I'd recommend it to anyone with a couple of hours to burn. The "bad" side of the movie is now I want to order an M1 Garand from the CMP

The commercial was on about 20 minutes ago and I yelled "HEY HON! LOOK THERES AN M1 GARAND!!! COOL HUH???"

She was like:
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The commercial was on about 20 minutes ago and I yelled "HEY HON! LOOK THERES AN M1 GARAND!!! COOL HUH???"

She was like:

Every time the 1919a4 showed up I'd squeeze my girlfriends leg and she would say " I KNOW ALREADY YOU HAVE THAT IN THE BASEMENT!"
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She was like:

The "Look"

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She was like:

The "Look"

Yeah. [sigh] Get it all the time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The big, fiery explosions I see in the advertisements tell me everything I need to know about this movie.

I also saw the movie tonight, the only big fiery explosion I remember is when they blew up the fuel dump.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:24:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I also saw the movie tonight, the only big fiery explosion I remember is when they blew up the fuel dump.

There were some big explosions when the guerillas opened up on the Japs down the road.

Great movie.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm....I may have to see this movie this weekend. I've seen a few POW-type movies, so I'm looking forward to this one as well. I remember watching "Three Came Home" when I was 9--great Claudette Colbert movie.

And anytime a Garand is featured prominently, I'm there!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#10]
If you want to see some excellent Garand work, checkout "Warkill" 1968.  Warning: DO NOT hold your Garand during this movie!  You may not be able to control yourself!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There were some big explosions when the guerillas opened up on the Japs Japanese down the road.

Great movie.

Im going to see it Sunday
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#12]
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385495641/103-0250080-2120615?v=glance

The book, Ghost Soldiers, for those who like to read.  A recent best seller.

It seems like the movie held closely to the story and the book.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Don't forget about the movie forum.
Movie Forum

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#16]
god, i thought this movie sucked...the raid itself was accurate as hell but 2hrs to see a good 15min???

one thing...real life sure ain't as purty as hollyweird, is it??? utinski didn't look like that hot blonde in the flick and it definitely explained why she was able to operate so well in their midst...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Does it show poeple bieng tortured? I can't stand that stuff if its nasty
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I found out it won't be showing here
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Does it show poeple bieng tortured? I can't stand that stuff if its nasty

no torture other than having to watch it. i guess about the worst parts were the murder of pows in the beginning when they were herded into air raid shelters and burned alive. then there was the execution of 10 pows when one of them tried to escape. they were shot in the neck one by one by the japanese secret police army (did they actually exist?).
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I found out it won't be showing here

And the nearest place I can see it is around an hours drive for me.

And I am going to wait through how many commercials first before the trailers start?

I may have to wait for either DVD or satellite.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Great Raid ROCKED.

It is added to my Must Own list.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife and I saw it today. She was kinda bored at first and said that she'd wished that we'd saw "Transporter 2" instead (they were showing at the same time). But she quickly livened up, and we both enjoyed it. It reminds me of a movie I saw years ago called "Stalag 17".

I give it a thumbs up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#23]
This is more along the lines of 'Band of Brothers' or 'Gettysburg' than 'Windtalkers' - it's a military-history drama geared towards what Hollywood would consider realisim...

Due to my present location, I kept being reminded of stuff from OCS classes while watching...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top