BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 9:06:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#2]
You know my question.  You saw fit to evade answering it three times.  So I don't really expect an answer here either.  But you know how to get ahold of me if you want to finally get around to answering my f'ing question.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Serious question for clarification:

1.  Who's religion
2.  Definition of religous place
3.  "Shouldn't or wouldn't be appropriate" (by who's standards)

I only ask because most all the rules/guidelines seem subjective.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I think if you renamed the forum the "Pro-God" forum... some might just begin to understand how discussions are meant to flow in here. I usually don't care to debate what religion is better or worse, I really don't care what anyone else is, except for a potential spouse, who I would prefer be of the same denomination as me, so we could save money on gas by carpooling to mass. I don't think any religions are better than any others are, but I do believe that there is one religion that is better FOR ME than all the others. A thought.... Why do some people who come here (this forum specifically, but ARFCOM in general, also) feel that ARGUMENT is a necessary ingredient in a DISCUSSION?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:39:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KnobCreek] [#5]

Originally Posted By npd233:
I think if you renamed the forum the "Pro-God" forum... some might just begin to understand how discussions are meant to flow in here. I usually don't care to debate what religion is better or worse, I really don't care what anyone else is, except for a potential spouse, who I would prefer be of the same denomination as me, so we could save money on gas by carpooling to mass. I don't think any religions are better than any others are, but I do believe that there is one religion that is better FOR ME than all the others. A thought.... Why do some people who come here (this forum specifically, but ARFCOM in general, also) feel that ARGUMENT is a necessary ingredient in a DISCUSSION?

Re the last sentene, and I agree with you.  People would rather be thought right right than profess ignorance and learn something.  You see post count is what determines ones knowledge here.  At least that's what I seem to "hear" all the time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:

This is not the "Pro-God" forum. I guess that depends on your definition of "religion". Whose definition are we using today

This is the Religion Forum. see above

Discussion of religion is fine, and it isn't required that someone be religious to take part in the discussions. But that doesn't give the non-religious members the right to come in here and bash or try to convince the religious members they are wrong.

As for your last sentence, I couldn't agree with you more.

If I didn't have to wade through the GD's cop bashers, handgun forums anti-1911'ers, anti-Yankee mindsetters, or just general site trolls, then maybe I would spend some time in this forum.

Yeah... right

Well, you know what I mean!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:

Originally Posted By KnobCreek:
Serious question for clarification:

1.  Who's religion Any religion
2.  Definition of religous place I think you can figure that out
3.  "Shouldn't or wouldn't be appropriate" (by who's standards) Common sense should be your guide, but if that isn't possible, then I'll make the final call.

I only ask because most all the rules/guidelines seem subjective.

Of course they are subjective. The CoC are guidelines to posting in the forums. Most of the members here are smart enough to know what is wrong or right. We always have those that want to push the limits. These  people don't usually last too long though.

Just keep the discussions civil and polite, and there shouldn't be any problems. Why is it that we have so many other members that can handle this, but there has to be a few that just can't deal with it?

Never been a problem for me, the civil and polite stuff.  Have "fun" at times, but mostly try to learn something once I can cut through the BS.  Requires "listening" and not talking a lot.  That said, I asked these questions b/c the RELIGION discussions can often get touchy.  Discussion means some probing questions may be asked.  When it comes to religion, even honest questions piss people off.  

Thanks for your response.  That said, I've not seen "COMMON SENSE" a common when it comes to religious discussion.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
The nature of this subject matter requires the Mod to keep us on a short leash so things remain civil.  

I realize this, and temper my posts accordingly.  If we were discussing these things face to face, I'd probably be a bit stronger in my criticisms and more forceful in presenting my case.

Without tight controls this forum could easily spiral out of control and go thermonuclear.  Then the folks in GD would be laughing at us because we couldn't make a go of this forum.

Rather than kick against the rules like a bunch of rebellious kids, we should operate within the CoC and make the best of our discussions here.

I have read threads here which included some strong disagreements, but they were handled civilly.

I have read posts from Jews and pagans, so it's not just a "Christian" forum.

Look guys, I like it in here.  I could easily find a board that only has Christian posters, but I like hanging out here.  Let's take care of this forum.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Brohawk:
... Look guys, I like it in here.  I could easily find a board that only has Christian posters, but I like hanging out here.  Let's take care of this forum.  

Amen.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 10:08:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HardShell] [#15]
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#16]
can someone please explain the term trolling, i don't get it...

thanks.

æ
Link Posted: 12/11/2006 3:03:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/11/2006 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]
thanks
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 1:32:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HardShell] [#19]
Link Posted: 1/23/2007 10:00:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HardShell] [#20]
Link Posted: 1/23/2007 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#21]
man, what have I been missing.

btw, My G-d eats the FSM for lunch and dinner.

and non believers for breakfast
Link Posted: 5/6/2007 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By HardShell:
It has just been brought to my attention that this tacked thread contains no notice of the FSM prohibition:

Before I became a moderator, the popular religious spoof regarding the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or FSM,  (originally created as an argument to ridicule ID supporters, IIRC) was used in this forum as a tactic to bait believers, derail otherwise serious threads, and cause strife for the sake of amusement in many cases.

It was decided that FSM posts were to be considered trolling (in this forum specifically) and not allowed here at all.  Site Staff fully supported this decision.  It was announced at the time and has been mentioned since, but someone suggested that it ought to be in this thread for the benefit of new folks, and I fully agree.

I certainly agree that rabble-rousers could use the FSM to troll (and probably do and have in the past; I'm relatively new to this forum), but I feel that a blanket prohibition is the wrong decision.

Let me explain further.

Assuming the discussion is conducted in a courteous and professional way, the FSM is meant as a sort of apologetics.  I realize that unless you set firm rules you will have whiners when you interpret less-concrete rules (even as apropriate), but I encourage you ignore the whiners and to make the right decision and to simply say that trolling is outlawed, without making a blanket ban on any particular mode of apolgetics or rhetoric.

I understand that in the past people may have injected it into threads inappropriately or started topics simply to rile people up, but this is not the behaviour I am concerned with in this post.

If any mention of the Flying Spaghetti monster (presumably outside this thread ) is explicitly banned, what about Bertrand Russell's Teapot?  It serves the same function in apologetics, yet is simply slightly less contemporary (though no less familiar to any well-read person).  This is a serious question.

Again, I encourage you to ban trolling but not to censor or ban any particular position or mode of debate so long as it is conducted reasonably.  

Respectfully Submitted
Link Posted: 5/7/2007 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/8/2007 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#24]
who do i send the bill to for all the time ive spent this morning coming to terms with the FSM thing....damn you, Wikipedia!!

back to subject, after spending alot of time reading the rules and the addendums (thanks for the big red letters, btw hink
done for the sake of understanding why other people of other beliefs have different standards and behaviour than what i believe is the majority of us here, solely, not bashing whatsoever.  strictly education and establishing standards for tolerance, if there can be any had, can't be something anyone here would consider censorable, i assume?

newer member, so posting for clarification
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#25]
heh, never heard of a flying spaghetti monster.  however, the invisible pink elephant is a common subject useful in logical debate that i've seen (useful in existance/faith issues).  is that taboo?
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 3:58:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HardShell] [#26]
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I hope wherever these mods are, they are Blessed with all that God has to give. It is very good of this site to have a forum like this. I just found it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By phaed:

heh, never heard of a flying spaghetti monster.  however, the invisible pink elephant is a common subject useful in logical debate that i've seen (useful in existance/faith issues).  is that taboo?

This is the religion forum. A place for the faithful.

Link Posted: 6/2/2011 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Actually it's a place to discuss religion with respect. There are many athiests and agnostics who post in here as well and help make for intelligent discussion.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 12:06:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I won't be buying a membership to this club so ling as the hypocrisy of rallying for our 2nd amendment is only ok if we agree to let you crush our voices in the forum boards on issues that make some cry?
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#33]
agree and understood.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:38:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medicmandan:

View Quote
He not supporting a pro 2a forums that also doesnt support the 1a
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top