Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2008 9:34:24 PM EDT
...and now it doesnt sound right. I drove for almost exactly on mile from work to my place, sometimes driving through a couple inches of water on the road( it was really coming down hard). It feels like its bogging out, and the torque isnt there anymore. Around 4-6k I get pops coming from the exhaust. Keeping at a constant RPM, the bike jerks slightly. Idling is perfect and so is startup.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
just run it out
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
just run it out

Just got back from about a 25 mile ride, most of it in the country around 60mph. It seemed to me to get worse once I got back into town. Maybe some more riding is in order?
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
just run it out

Just got back from about a 25 mile ride, most of it in the country around 60mph. It seemed to me to get worse once I got back into town. Maybe some more riding is in order?

25 mile ride should have cleared out.

In my younger days I rode dirt bikes , many times we would ride through streams
and the bikes would act like you describe.

but eventually just by riding it it would dry anything up.

I wish I could offer more help. It's only water ...it should dry up eventually.

You sure everything is connected , maybe one plug wire came loose.

eta

I cant see a rain storm really doing any harm to it, or riding in a couple of inches of water
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll bump this for you.

Maybe someone can help
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
If your coil got wet and grounded out,your plugs wont fire the gas in cylinder...hence dirty plugs,check your plugs and clean/gap them,also check plug wires........if water got into pipes that are fiberglass filled,it may take you a little running before it all clears out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#6]
The basics please.

What make/model/year of motorcycle?

Do you own a factory service manual?
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The basics please.

What make/model/year of motorcycle?

Do you own a factory service manual?

95 Yamaha FZR600. Naked if that matters. No manual but its available online.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Bump for daytime.

Link Posted: 6/28/2008 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#9]
If non of the above have worked, have you checked the air filter?

This is a bit of a reach, but it has happened to me before, if there is significant moisture in the filter(more specifically, standing water in the filter housing), at lower RPM's, and normal cruising, it might not be apparent, but under heavy throttle, like WOT, it may be causing enough vacuum to suck in some of that moisture.  A long shot, but maybe worth a look-see.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If non of the above have worked, have you checked the air filter?

This is a bit of a reach, but it has happened to me before, if there is significant moisture in the filter(more specifically, standing water in the filter housing), at lower RPM's, and normal cruising, it might not be apparent, but under heavy throttle, like WOT, it may be causing enough vacuum to suck in some of that moisture.  A long shot, but maybe worth a look-see.

I thought about this too. The only problem is the air filter is a pain to get to. Its on my list of things to do this fine afternoon though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I just looked at it now and noticed that the exhaust is messed up. The bracket that held it up  by attaching to the passenger peg support has broken, and the exhaust hangs about 4 inches lower than it should. There is a bolt missing at the header, and the two exterior header pipes have bent bolts. I will post pics ASAP but photobucket is being difficult.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Exhaust leak reduces backpressure and makes a tuned engine run lean.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#13]

You can see the broken bracket there

And the missing nut. notice the bolts on the outer pipe are bent.

Not 100% sure if this is my problem ( I know it is A problem but not sure if it is THE problem)
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#14]
An exhaust leak can cause a burnt valve. Check and see if you have water in the spark plug wells. Fix that exhaust dude.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Has it ever been crashed?
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The broken exhaust hanger and vertical scratches on the pipe lead me to think yes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The broken exhaust hanger and vertical scratches on the pipe lead me to think yes.

It is a semi-rhetorical question, bear with me.  

Have you seen this bike? It's the one that needs two little eyeballs painted on one side, because it's spent more time on it's side than a flounder.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a semi-rhetorical question, bear with me.  

Have you seen this bike? It's the one that needs two little eyeballs painted on one side, because it's spent more time on it's side than a flounder.  

The bracket was intact when I bought the bike.

And Kirk, if youre going to be a bitch, dont contribute. Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 2:41:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Have you ever had a passenger on it, or has the bike ever been in public where you can’t see it?

I know it’s a long shot, but I’m thinking that someone may have used the can as a step point to get on the bike.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Water related problems are usually electrical.  My first choice would be plug wires.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 5:23:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Exhaust leak reduces backpressure and makes a tuned engine run lean.  

yep
and that popping on deceleartion is also a lean condition.
it's the broken exhaust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top