Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2012 10:30:57 PM EDT
There are several rust spots in a motorcycle gas tank I just bought, what's the best way to remove them?
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Your mean on the paint or inside the gas tank?

If inside the gas tank, this stuff works wonders.  Worth every penny.

If it's just a paint thing, I dunno.  Paint shop?
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
if inside search "electrolysis rust removal"
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
A couple of cups of mineral spirits and a handful of marbles then tilt the tank back and forth for a while.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 4:31:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Fill it with coke.  Not the white stuff, the cola.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 4:58:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I use SEM brand Rust Remover and a couple handfulls of lead shot. Works great.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your mean on the paint or inside the gas tank?

If inside the gas tank, this stuff works wonders.  Worth every penny.

If it's just a paint thing, I dunno.  Paint shop?

I used this on one of my MC tanks.  It had rusted to the point of having a pinhole leak at one of the seams.  This kit cleaned the tank and then sealed it perfectly.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Evaporust is your answer.  I used it on a badly rusted tank I did on a 1974 Suzuki.  The stuff is like magic.  You do have to let it sit longer than is suggested by the label.  I was going for 24 hours at a time and agitating it when possible.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2012 4:17:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I read  up on it and POR15 was well thought of. It worked for me but when doing final  coating, don't get it on the outside of the tank or anything else as it sticks like crazy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top