ETA Mar 29:
The patch is now live.
ETA Mar 28:
The PC patch will be released tomorrow, March 29
The official blog post.
ETA Mar 27:

The PS3 patch is now live.
ETA Mar 23:
Patch date for PS3 set for Tuesday, March 27.  XBox & PC?  "Soon".
The official announcement, including a complete changelog.

ETA Mar 13:
Close Quarters trailer:

ETA Mar 7:

From EA:
"... the next expansion packs are: Battlefield 3: Close Quarters in June, Battlefield 3: Armored Kill in the fall, and Battlefield 3: End Game in the winter.
[...]
Battlefield 3: Close Quarters – In Battlefield 3: Close Quarters, players are dropped into a frantic, infantry-only theatre of war.
[...]
Battlefield 3: Armored KillFollowing the tight infantry gameplay of Battlefield 3: Close Quarters, DICE will release Battlefield 3: Armored Kill that ups the ante for vehicular mayhem as only Battlefield can do. Featuring new driveable tanks, ATVs, mobile artillery and more, Battlefield 3: Armored Kill also delivers huge battlefields for an all-out vehicle assault, including the biggest map in Battlefield history.
[...]
Battlefield 3: End Game – The fourth expansion pack will ship in the winter but details remain tightly guarded.

ETA Mar 3:

DICE announces via a new blog entitled "Inside DICE" that the "February" patch has now become the "spring" patch.  Source

ETA Feb 23:

DICE has posted a long list of tentative notes from the upcoming patch:  Tentative patch notes.

ETA Feb 11:
Marketing spin from EA/DICE via Reddit:

I think, as another Redditor pointed out, there's been some confusion as to what was going to happen.

It's a big time at EA right now - we're starting to work on new
titles, figuring out how to close up our year, and planning for the
months to come.

That being said, we do have something really cool for you guys and (if I understand correctly) we didn't want to smoosh it in with a bunch of other stuff.

We definitely have information coming - stay tuned.

ETA Feb 2:
New Battlefield 3 DLC to be announced next week at New York event.

ETA Dec 13:
Back to Karkand is now live.  
ETA Dec 6:
Patch is live. Also:

ETA Dec 2:
Patch notes for a major patch coming December 6

ETA Nov 28:

ETA Nov 21:
Patch incoming tomorrow.  Patch notes here.

ETA Nov 18:

ETA Nov 4:

ETA Oct 24:
Battlelog is now available, game launch in North America in ~15 hours.  

ETA Sep 9:

ETA Aug 16:

ETA Jun 18:

ETA Apr 17:

ETA Mar 30:

ETA Mar 16:

ETA Mar 2
:

Official word finally released today:  http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/
"Battlefield 3 is the true successor to Battlefield 2. Beyond our signature multiplayer, we have also included a full single-player campaign and a co-op campaign – all straight out of the box. As for fan favorite features, how does the return of jets, prone, and 64-player multiplayer (on PC) sound? All this built with our powerful new game engine Frostbite 2..."
ETA2:
The full article from Game Informer.
ETA:
Screenshots, from here:

Link Posted: 2/4/2011 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#2]
woohoo!
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 3:23:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DragoMuseveni] [#3]

Why only 64 players? They should be able to do 128 players by now.

I still won't buy it until there is something as good as the PR mod for it. Vanilla BF2 was lame and I'm sure Vanillia BF3 will be lame too
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Return to prone? Oooooooh.

I have to make it over to Gamestop and put in my preorder.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 8:19:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FTAggie] [#6]
Will be buying, though its a toss up between the 360 and building a gaming PC expressly for it. For the sake of convience (and cost) will probably just get it for the box.

Since I bought MOH, I should get a beta code whenever they do it. However I did return MOH (it REALLY sucked) so not sure if that affects my beta status.

ETA: From the Gamestop preorder page:

Urban Combat - Take the fight to iconic and unexpected places in the USA, Middle East, and Europe including claustrophobic streets, metropolitan downtowns, and open, vehicle-friendly landscapes as you fight your way through the war of tomorrow.

Locations in the US interest me. MW2 had its US locales and I always thought that was the most interesting part of the game. Homefront will deliver similar locations next month and if I remember right, this will be the first time Battlefield has hit US soil.

ETA2: A little bit more info on the expected locales... http://www.gamingunion.net/news/first-battlefield-3-details––3901.html

Players will be touring, Paris, New York and Tehran in the next big Battlefield title, complete with entirely destructible environments and landmarks that you probably won't recognize after you've been through with them.

Anyone expecting to see a WMD-ravaged New York? Fire up the main stream media's disgust...

Link Posted: 2/5/2011 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By FTAggie:

Will be buying, though its a toss up between the 360 and building a gaming PC expressly for it. For the sake of convience (and cost) will probably just get it for the box.

Note that the xbox version will support 24 players on a server, the PC version 64 players.

Link Posted: 2/5/2011 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#8]
So the same number as currently supported on BC2. I'm cool with that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By flpickupman:

Yep. Doesn't bother me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Finally!  F U COD series.  Take your tiny, 20 player maps and shove 'em.

(Zombie maps excluded of course)
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Bout fucking time.

Preordered from Amazon.

Release date of 31 Dec 11. I hope to god that changes because if it didnt, I just ordered something almost 11 months before it will be released.
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By svtfast:
Bout fucking time.

Preordered from Amazon.

Release date of 31 Dec 11. I hope to god that changes because if it didnt, I just ordered something almost 11 months before it will be released.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

what he said. About fucking time!
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Shit. I'm still waiting for LA Noire and GR: Future Soldier. I pre-ordered those as soon as it was possible to do so.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By FTAggie:

Originally Posted By flpickupman:

Yep. Doesn't bother me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I don't know some of the BF2 maps with 64 people felt huge.

they just better put in an anti-aircraft kit for anti-tank class

that was the one gripe I had was getting raped by a decent pilot who knew where the sams spawned so they got bombed constantly.

Link Posted: 2/5/2011 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#15]
As excited as I am, they can't even run the Vietnam servers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Can't fucking wait. I love BF more than any other game series, and I still play BF2 so BF3 is just gonna make me so damn happy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Sweet, another $60 game with 2 weeks of gameplay value.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By waterispoison:

Not if it is anything like BF2. With all the mods, people are still playing it everyday.

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 1:08:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By KingRat:

Not if it is anything like BF2. With all the mods, people are still playing it everyday.

BF2 is the tits. Can't wait for 3
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 1:40:59 AM EDT
[#20]

You've never played BF2 or BFBC2 online, have you?

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 3:59:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 5:02:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jester617] [#22]
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
Why only 64 players? They should be able to do 128 players by now.

I still won't buy it until there is something as good as the PR mod for it. Vanilla BF2 was lame and I'm sure Vanillia BF3 will be lame too

yeah i played 128 player match today on PR

i cant wait for pr2 or realism mods for bf3
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Let's just hope this doesn't go the way of BF:BC2 with the dreadful online issues that don't seem to get fixed.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Will they finally add multiplayer for local play? For $60, I should be able to play split-screen with some friends on one system.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 8:51:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ciph] [#25]
This one may be worth upgrading the PC.

Not too happy about beta access.

Get Access to the Battlefield 3 Beta

Want to be among the first to get hands-on with Battlefield 3? If you own Medal of Honor Limited Edition you will receive an invitation to the Battlefield 3 beta within 12-months following the release of Medal of Honor.

Medal of Honor Limited Edition features other special content out-of-the-box including the MP-7, a weapon utilized by real-world Tier 1 Operators in the field.  With its light weight, high rate of fire as well as its ability to penetrate body armor, the MP-7 handles like a pistol yet allows targets to be engaged like a rifle.

Battlefield 3 Beta Details

Beta offer is contingent on Beta availability within 12 months of Medal of Honor release. Beta will be available for a limited time only and offer expires upon close of Beta events. Participation in Beta requires acceptance of Beta Agreement. Must be 18+. Xbox GOLD membership required for Xbox users. Check this site for further details when available.

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 12:09:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: waterispoison] [#26]

Originally Posted By kill-9:

You've never played BF2 or BFBC2 online, have you?  

I've played them all. I enjoy the Battlefield series. It's my favorite series. My main gripe is that every first person shooter released recently has been a watered down disappointment, BC2 included.

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#27]
It looks like I will be buying a new rig
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 6:08:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flogger23m] [#28]
I'll be getting this instead:

http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/

...unless BF3 goes on sale for $10 like BFBC2 did.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I was so addicted to BF2, I had to smash the CD on my forehead.  No shit.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 8:59:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TylerF] [#30]
Not so much a PC gamer anymore, but for you PC guys.

http://twitter.com/repi/status/20028015661

Note:Johan Andersson Is a BF dev.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/04/battlefield-3-pc-receiving-special-effort-wont-run-on-windows-xp/

Strange considering that XP still commands 50% of the PC market so they went off and made it non-compatible...

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#31]
If you're still on XP chances are your hardware isn't good enough to run the game.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#32]

If you're still on XP chances are your hardware isn't good enough to run the game.

Which is why a bunch of the casual pc fps crowd still plays CSS and BF2.

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Is this like bf1942, vietnam, and 2, or like the new shit they have been putting out?
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By chris782:

Is this like bf1942, vietnam, and 2, or like the new shit they have been putting out?

Well the game was just announced so your guess is as good as ours.

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#35]
it will play like BFBC 2,  

although it is Battlefield which is a different game, its using the same engine and being developed by the same developers.

recently developers are unlike to developed sorting revolutionary or even something that takes a little extra effort.  just look at how they treated map packs.  no real new maps, just remodeled maps for different game modes.

this will be exactly like battlefield, ill pick it up, i just hope they at the very least give us a decent amount of weapons and vehicals

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#36]

...I resemble that remark.

P-IV with a Ge-Force FX5500. I haven't bought a new PC game in a long time.

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 11:05:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DragoMuseveni] [#37]

Originally Posted By m4hk33:

although it is Battlefield which is a different game, its using the same engine and being developed by the same developers.

recently developers are unlike to developed sorting revolutionary or even something that takes a little extra effort. just look at how they treated map packs. no real new maps, just remodeled maps for different game modes.

this will be exactly like battlefield, ill pick it up, i just hope they at the very least give us a decent amount of weapons and vehicals

You have the modern [console] consumer to thank for that.

Why should publishers invest millions of dollars into something new and not market tested when they can take a shit in a box, put a new label of some old title on the outside and market it as the greatest new hit of all time? The consumer is going to buy it no matter what. They've been brainwashed by the media to do so.

They are remaking the first Halo for crying out loud.

I wish the gaming industry would just crash like it did in the '80s. It needs a serious reboot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 1:22:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: demolitio] [#38]
Originally Posted By chris782:

Like the old BF games. The devs themselves have said that BF3 is a true successor to BF2 and the Bad Company series was meant to be a spin-off, specifically made for the consoles at that. Of course it will have similarities but they see BF3 as the game to expand on what BF2 did. The engine is also highly upgraded from Bad Company 2 and the tech demos of the engine they've shown so far have been quite amazing, especially in terms of lighting. It's going to look and hopefully run better since it focuses on DX10 and DX11 which opens up some new options graphically that have been held back due to DX9. I've been wanting a PC game to use DX11 specifically for a long time and ditch DX9 to see how far they can push the graphics. I'm just hoping that their focus on the PC version means that the console won't hold the graphics back on PC. The difference between BC2's versions was pretty big but this one should be quite a bit larger in terms of differences.

BF3 PC having 64 players while the consoles have 24 is going to be interesting to see how they do the maps. I imagine they'll have the 64 player maps and then scale it down for 32 and 16 players and  use the 32 player-sized maps for the console versions.

Edit: Here's a link to their lighting demo for Frostbite 2.0. It's all realtime lighting compared to Mirror's Edge which was prebaked, so they've made some big improvements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foXVF7q035Y&hd=1
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 4:19:03 AM EDT
[#39]

recently developers are unlike to developed sorting revolutionary or even something that takes a little extra effort.  just look at how they treated map packs.  no real new maps, just remodeled maps for different game modes.

You have to at least give Dice some credit, they gave us the huge maps reconfigured in different modes, which I find very refreshing. For fifteen dollars with Vietnam we got all new weapons, new maps, new models, and new vehicles, look at the CoD side of things, fifteen dollars will get you four unremarkable maps.

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 4:51:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By TylerF:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/04/battlefield-3-pc-receiving-special-effort-wont-run-on-windows-xp/

Strange considering that XP still commands 50% of the PC market so they went off and made it non-compatible...

Microsoft made future games non-compatible by making DX10 & 11 not available on XP.

Most of the XP hardware would choke on that game, anyhow.

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By Dave_A:

Originally Posted By TylerF:

Microsoft made future games non-compatible by making DX10 & 11 not available on XP.

Most of the XP hardware would choke on that game, anyhow.

There still seem to be some discrepancies between a game on XP and a game on Windows 7. During this latest Black Ops debacle I eventually set up a fresh Windows 7 install, hoping that might make the game more playable, but to no avail. I then setup a fresh Windows XP partition because I had read that some people were having success doing that. I set it up, and to my surprise, the game ran almost as smooth as MW2.

The latest patch fixed 90% of my issues, but I don't play the game anymore. I'm embarrassed I paid $60 for it.

My specs:

Intel Core 2 duo, E8400 @ 4.2 ghz from 3.00 ghz.

4Gb of DDR2 1066 ram for the overclock.

MSI 460GTX 1Gb

Gigabyte P35DS3L mobo

Not blazing fast, but more than capable.

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#43]
yeah, i would say its safe to say that consoles are the driving factor in what and how developers are working these days.  while i will say that PC games are better, i dont play PC games because none of my friends have gaming PCs.

i play xbox because i dont want to dick around upgrading my computer every time a decent game comes out,  same thing applies to my friends,

yeah it sucks but people dont want to deal with all the extra BS that comes with PC gamming.

knowing this, developers are making life easier on there selves,  

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#44]

yeah, i would say its safe to say that consoles are the driving factor in what and how developers are working these days.  while i will say that PC games are better, i dont play PC games because none of my friends have gaming PCs.

i play xbox because i dont want to dick around upgrading my computer every time a decent game comes out,  same thing applies to my friends,

yeah it sucks but people dont want to deal with all the extra BS that comes with PC gamming.

knowing this, developers are making life easier on there selves,  

It's very sad. I grew up with consoles and PCs. The first multiplayer FPS I ever played was on a console, but it is still incredibly sad to see such potential in PC gaming squandered. So many games have been ruined by the fact that they're developed for consoles first and ported to the PC later. Developers don't even try to hide it.

Speaking to upgrading your PC every few years, besides buying a graphics card every year or so, I haven't had to invest much. Probably not more than hardcore gamers spend replacing their burned out consoles/controllers.

I can't imagine PC gaming every dieing out, but I have already noticed an appreciable decline in the online community.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 7:49:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kill-9] [#45]
double-tap

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I will be upgrading my PC for this one.

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Unless you want to be playing 24 player games, you'll probably want the PC version.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/07/battlefield-3-stops-by-paris-tehran-and-new-york-down-to-24/
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Told you the graphics would be good. They were talking about a new wave in graphics for this game and it looks pretty good. The first screen does remind me of BF2 a lot while others remind me of a hybrid of BF2 and BC2.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks good.  It is unfortunate to see consoles stunting inovation.

For me its not so much a.cost thing its more of the hassle of upgrading constantly.  Just curious what does a hamming pc run?
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 9:15:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DragoMuseveni] [#50]

Looks good. It is unfortunate to see consoles stunting inovation.

For me its not so much a.cost thing its more of the hassle of upgrading constantly. Just curious what does a hamming pc run?

My current rig cost me about $1200 a year ago which is about what I paid to build the PC it replaced 5 years ago.

Those that are always upgrading their PCs are either people who get cheap on the inital build OR people who have an addiction to the latest tech or are frame rate whores.

The only upgrades in my near future is a rebuild of my cooling system, and a storage expansion.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 50
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top