Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/14/2012 6:49:38 AM EDT
educate me on 5 fingers. How long have you worn them? any negative effects after wearing them?

I'm looking to buy myself a pair for the gym.  Would like your opinions.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I got the fila version for two reasons
Half the price and your two small toes share the same slot
the 5's are cool but i was reading people were snaggig thier llittle toe on things and breaking or doslocating it

Addias makes some as well..

Down side toe socks are not cheap
And the start to smell funky if you dicide not to wear the socks
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:21:56 AM EDT
[#2]
What are you going to be using the shoe for?

There are other brands the first response missed as well.

Merrill glove, NB minimus, Saucony hatori, etc...
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah need to know your purpose behind these. 5 fingers are alright but there are others that may be a better choice. I really like the New Balance Minimus.

I've been in some sort of minimal shoe for a few years now and I could never go back. That being said I do NOT put in a lot of miles running either, I'm usually running 400s, 800s, and the occasional mile - 3 miles.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I will be using them for Walking/Running, ultimately a gym shoe

I regularly wear PF Flyers as my gym shoe but I want something thats slides on easy and I don't have to worry about taking the time lacing them up when I want to make a quick trip to the gym.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
5 fingers are alright but there are others that may be a better choice. I really like the New Balance Minimus.

Is that why you're posting home gym ideas?  Did you get kicked out of the club for non-VFF heresy?
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I will be using them for Walking/Running, ultimately a gym shoe  

I regularly wear PF Flyers as my gym shoe but I want something thats slides on easy and I don't have to worry about taking the time lacing them up when I want to make a quick trip to the gym.

What do you currently run in and what is your goal for running?

I would say stay away from the VFF as they are not easy to get on.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Same thing. Fewer weird looks.

I have these and love them.
ETA New Balance Minimus MT20
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
5 fingers are alright but there are others that may be a better choice. I really like the New Balance Minimus.

Is that why you're posting home gym ideas?  Did you get kicked out of the club for non-VFF heresy?

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I've only worn them for a few days but my feet have never felt better. I wear boots all day and I wear the vibrams before and after and now my feet feel damn good. No more pain in my small toe.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the Komodo Sports and I love them.  I wear them only to the gym and running occasionally.  I've worn them through an 8K mud run and the Tough Mudder as well, and they were an excellent choice for those as they didn't add as much additional weight when they got wet. I haven't gone too far on concrete with them, though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've only worn them for a few days but my feet have never felt better. I wear boots all day and I wear the vibrams before and after and now my feet feel damn good. No more pain in my small toe.

Which models do you prefer?

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which models do you prefer?  

Trek sport model
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Different VFFs for different applications.

I use the KSO's for indoor workouts like Insanity/gym stuff.

TrekSport for running on roads, gravel, Tough Mudder, etc.

I'll be picking up the Spyridon LS as soon as it comes out for the tougher running.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I wear them on short sprint days, long easy runs, and to the gym. I also wear a pair around town, I love them. When I do intervals I prefer a good running shoe. (my intervals are usually 10 minutes hard, 2 minutes easy repeating thr cycle 5 times.
I used to pronate pretty bad and would wear out a pair of shoes quick, due to it. After wearing the 5 fingers I no longer pronate when I run.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that why you're posting home gym ideas? Did you get kicked out of the club for non-VFF heresy?

Yuk yuk yuk

You know it's funny, out of 120+ members at my gym, I'd say there's only about 5 or so that wear them, and out the competitive CFers I don't think any of us wear them. My home gym is for when I can't make it in to the regular gym

Anyways, I'd look into the NB Minimus, be very very very careful when you start running in them, they will fuck you up if you don't start slow.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I got the fila version for two reasons

Half the price and your two small toes share the same slot

the 5's are cool but i was reading people were snaggig thier llittle toe on things and breaking or doslocating it

Addias makes some as well..

Down side toe socks are not cheap

And the start to smell funky if you dicide not to wear the socks

Happened to my sister. She had all sorts of other issues, most of which stemmed from not starting slow.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I started wearing them and it helped my squat and dead lift form tremendously.

My work sets spiked overnight, then I got a nasty bout of either plantar fasciitis or achilles tendonitis.

I am in no way saying they were the cause, but i am still fighting to get back where I was two months later.

I have switched to Chucks, but I have over-pronation issues that the flat soles seem to accentuate, so I am having trouble getting used to those.

Guess I need to break down and see a foot doc, but it'll have to wait until after I find out if I have a hernia or not at the doc tomorrow.

Getting old sucks...

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/Oblinkin/NewBalanceMinimusTrailMT10125px.jpg

Same thing. Fewer weird looks.

I have these and love them.
ETA New Balance Minimus MT20

Thats actually a pic of the MT10
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Question for the OP.

This is mostly out of curiosity, as I see this all the time and it just boggles my mind, why do recommendations carry so much weight with people?  Its like asking a buddy what his favorite beer is...

Just because someone else is using it and its working for them (although 5 days isnt enough time to make a judgment on anything), why would you believe it will work for you?

Considering you may have completely different body types, biomechanics, training, etc...why is it these reviews and recommendations carry so much value?
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#20]
i would but I have polydactylism and they don't make vibram six singers
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Ive been running in mine since September 3.2 miles 3 times a week, there ok, just shoes I guess.  When I first got them went through two pair in a month one set the seams failed the other the one of the inner seams that covers up the fiberglass reinforcement wast finished correctly exposing the fiber glass which dug into the top of my foot, moral of the story if you get them be sure you get them from a authorized retailer had it not been one, returning them would have been a pain.  The most important thing is that the shoe you wear fits your foot properly you could have goldplated slippers but if they dont fit right its gonna suck, so make sure the people you buy from are competent and understand the shoes there selling and how they should fit your feet theres more to shoe size than just a number.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Question for the OP.

This is mostly out of curiosity, as I see this all the time and it just boggles my mind, why do recommendations carry so much weight with people?  Its like asking a buddy what his favorite beer is...

Just because someone else is using it and its working for them (although 5 days isnt enough time to make a judgment on anything), why would you believe it will work for you?

Considering you may have completely different body types, biomechanics, training, etc...why is it these reviews and recommendations carry so much value?

I'm just researching right now.

I can't really make a call to buy them based off others recommendations only until I am in the store. It just helps hearing others experiences with the shoe, I have heard both good and bad stories from people breaking their toes to the shoe falling apart. I guess others recommendations carry a value so that way you can check the shoes out before you buy them.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Question for the OP.

I can't really make a call to buy them based off others recommendations only until I am in the store. It just helps hearing others experiences with the shoe, I have heard both good and bad stories from people breaking their toes to the shoe falling apart. I guess others recommendations carry a value so that way you can check the shoes out before you buy them.

I guess I get that.  If I were you I would go to a running specialty store.  Youll get much more valuable info from them that will include pros/cons for your particular gait/biomechanics over just a personal experience.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#24]
My wife and I both love ours.outside
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Waiting on my Skele toes, Pretty stoked, never done the minimalist thing before
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Question for the OP.

I guess I get that.  If I were you I would go to a running specialty store.  Youll get much more valuable info from them that will include pros/cons for your particular gait/biomechanics over just a personal experience.

When I was younger I would wear these shoes that were sort of like Vibrams minus the toe slots, easy to slide on, comfortable as hell and I could easily run and workout in them. I miss the feeling of being near barefoot but having some protection.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Question for the OP.

When I was younger I would wear these shoes that were sort of like Vibrams minus the toe slots, easy to slide on, comfortable as hell and I could easily run and workout in them. I miss the feeling of being near barefoot but having some protection.

If you havent run in a while, make sure you transition into something like that.  Age can play a factor in training adaptations.  You dont want to go to quickly and cause some sort of over training issue.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Question for the OP.

If you havent run in a while, make sure you transition into something like that.  Age can play a factor in training adaptations.  You dont want to go to quickly and cause some sort of over training issue.

Absolutely. I'm currently working on getting back into shape, I am also building myself up in regards to fitness.

Link Posted: 2/21/2012 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a few pairs now. I run limitedly in them, building up to distance. I recently wore them almost exclusively for a week walking around a city. After about 6 hours on concrete, my feet craved some grassy parks.

Definitely a shoe that has a required learning curve/adjustment period for exercise.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I walked around a gun show for basically 7 hours on sunday with my trek sports. My feet felt and feel great. These shoes have been a blessing for my sore feet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I hiked about 45 miles through Moab in my Sprints.  Other than thoroughly scrubbing the stank out of them, I have nothing bad to report.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Have you gotten any stares or comments about the shoes?

Its like people have a phobia about toes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I lift exclusively in my 5 finger KSOs. I used to squat in Chuck Taylor's, but decided to try out a pair of Vibrams. I haven't worn my Chucks since. In my Vibrams, if I lose tightness and lean too far forward in the squat coming out of the hole, I can literally feel my individual toes driving into the ground to keep me upright.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 7:01:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Once in a while in the gym, people stop me to ask where I got them.  Not much anymore because I think most gym goers know about them.

I also have a pair of the Komodo Sports that are my 'wearing around town' shoes.  Yes, every single time I wear those shoes, someone will stop me to ask about them.  

Most common phrase is "I really want a pair of those, but it seems like the fabric between your toes would be bothersome."  or "I really want a pair of those, where did you get them?"
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#35]

I picked up the Treksports on Tuesday and have had several gym visits with them. I really like them, so far they have been the most comfortable shoe I have ever had on my feet and plus I like the tightness of the strap. I really enjoy the fact that they are so easy to slide on and off and my workouts have been easier as well. They didn't have the black KSO's that I really wanted and they first gave me the Speed which I wasn't too much of a fan of. The shoes remind me of these slide on's I used to wear when I was a kid but better support.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#36]
To echo what someone else mentioned, ease into them. I started running in a pair, eased up to 3 miles in about 9 weeks. Was rewarded with a stress fracture. I spoke with a guy at a run clinic who said I should have taken at least a year to get to that distance in them. I have switched to running in Newtons, which allow fore/mid foot landing. Still like the vibrams occasionly, but got a torn seam on a river.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Have you gotten any stares or comments about the shoes?

Its like people have a phobia about toes.

I wore them all weekend at the gun show and I did get a few looks but I also saw a nice loOking lady in the nb minimalists
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I have been wearing them for three years now. I own both the KSO's and the Bikilas. I absolutely love them! I use them regularly for training martial arts, running and circuit training and would prefer nothing else. Your feet will most likely have to adjust to them, especially if you are running. I would start out running in them a little at a time so your feet can get used to them. They have really helped to strengthen my calves and arches.
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
To echo what someone else mentioned, ease into them. I started running in a pair, eased up to 3 miles in about 9 weeks. Was rewarded with a stress fracture. I spoke with a guy at a run clinic who said I should have taken at least a year to get to that distance in them. I have switched to running in Newtons, which allow fore/mid foot landing. Still like the vibrams occasionly, but got a torn seam on a river.

Ouch,  that makes me re-think my plan to start off this season's runs with my 5 fingers.  I knew it would take awhile to adjust but...
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm noticing slight changes in my feet and legs. It almost feels like my arms after I've lifted weights.
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Yeah need to know your purpose behind these. 5 fingers are alright but there are others that may be a better choice. I really like the New Balance Minimus.

I've been in some sort of minimal shoe for a few years now and I could never go back. That being said I do NOT put in a lot of miles running either, I'm usually running 400s, 800s, and the occasional mile - 3 miles.

I thought that there were entire CF gyms wearing them.

Link Posted: 2/29/2012 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that there were entire CF gyms wearing them.

Maybe...not my gym. Out of 120+ members I've only seen maybe 5 that wear them regularly.

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Thought I'd add my .02...

Merrell makes a great minimalist shoe.  I've had their Trail Glove for a few months now and absolutely love them.  If you do anything outside I find that rocks and sticks get stuck in th between the toes of the shoes with individual digits.  

Merrell Trail Glove - REI
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#44]
i don't.  I have polydactyl feet
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I have all kinds of feet problems. Wearing a dress shoe all day at work doesn't help. I went to these type of shoes and my feet feel so much better. I wear them to the gym every morning. I'm the only one wearing them but not may people there at 4AM.

I made fun of my brother for the VFF and made fun of my wife for Crocs. Now my feet feel better in both of those than anything. I did go with the Fila Skele Toes because it has the last two toes together. I have long toe monkey feet and my toes don't taper. My little toe would be broken within the hour without something to hold it in.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#46]
My social life has improved greatly with the comments I have been getting from wearing these shoes around and about.

Most people are interested in if they are comfortable and I usually praise them as being the best shoe decision I've ever made. Seriously I don't think I'm going to be going back to those thick sole shoes unless I really need them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My social life has improved greatly with the comments I have been getting from wearing these shoes around and about.

Most people are interested in if they are comfortable and I usually praise them as being the best shoe decision I've ever made. Seriously I don't think I'm going to be going back to those thick sole shoes unless I really need them.

The shoes are the shit. I have to wash mine every couple days though or they stink up the place.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#48]
I wear my KSO's all the time in the gym and for any running less than about three miles.  You want to improve your running form and become less of a heel striker?  Get a pair of minimalist shoes - they will force you to get on the balls of my feet.  I started slowly with the VFF's as recommended here, adding fractions of a mile at a time, and have really noticed an increase in leg strength and decrease in the minor injuries and soreness that I used to fight constantly.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Based on posts in this thread and other similar threads on other forums, I bought a pair of NB Minumus 10s a month ago and I am loving them.  I originally bought them to wear while doing weight training but I've also been wearing them while running on the treadmill.  Very comfortable for the weight training side and my running is better than ever.  I'm not out running on concrete or anything but for the treadmill they are the most comfortable running shoes I've ever worn.

I am very happy with this purchase.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#50]
I wear them working out, far too ugly to wear out IMO.

That being said it's not just that you need to work into them, you need to learn to run different. If you continue to heel strike no matter how long you take breaking in to them you will hurt yourself.

I wear them at the gym and do 15-20 minute runs in them.

I believe if we all ran different and wore minimalist shoes all the time our knee injury rates would go way down. Walking and running on your forefoot changes the way everything works all the way up through your hips. I'd probably still have my original ACLs if I'd always been working out in these.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top