Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2015 6:23:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:47:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Any estimate of the percentage of light transmission lost due to the beam splitting?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Does it fit a MUM-14?

V
OUT
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:26:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chase45] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 35Remington:
Any estimate of the percentage of light transmission lost due to the beam splitting?
View Quote

This

Some videos look pretty dark. Others are more than acceptable. Does the 3+ and 4 have much differences for this application? I have a 3+ currently and it would be an expensive upgrade just for this

I am interested if it works well, but if it cuts out too much that could be less than desirable for $400

Lol I love the disclaimer about NVG not included, obviously... That's hilarious
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Clasky:
The 4 does have a significantly better light metering system than the 3 series.  But, a lot of the video darkness comes from different lighting conditions more than the different GoPros.  For instance, the shoot house navigation video is super dark because it's indoors with all the lights turned off.  That means there's a lot less ambient light to gather for the goggle.  In those situations, it is always advised to have an IR illuminator.  Some of the other videos that are a bit darker are because of less outdoors light (overcast skies) which have a noticeable effect on night vision performance.  

Also, the system uses a modified Wilcox Industries Amber Beam Splitter Eye Piece.  The amber lens reduces the green splash on the user's face while also providing a non-glare lens to stop any weird light artifacts from happening.  Glares and such can happen when you stack lenses like sacrificial demist shields.  One side effect of the amber is that it does cut some of the light (roughly 15-20% depending on the conditions).  It's impossible to say exactly how much it reduces the light because environmental conditions change all the time.  These numbers are provided by Wilcox.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chase45:

This

Some videos look pretty dark. Others are more than acceptable. Does the 3+ and 4 have much differences for this application? I have a 3+ currently and it would be an expensive upgrade just for this

I am interested if it works well, but if it cuts out too much that could be less than desirable for $400

The 4 does have a significantly better light metering system than the 3 series.  But, a lot of the video darkness comes from different lighting conditions more than the different GoPros.  For instance, the shoot house navigation video is super dark because it's indoors with all the lights turned off.  That means there's a lot less ambient light to gather for the goggle.  In those situations, it is always advised to have an IR illuminator.  Some of the other videos that are a bit darker are because of less outdoors light (overcast skies) which have a noticeable effect on night vision performance.  

Also, the system uses a modified Wilcox Industries Amber Beam Splitter Eye Piece.  The amber lens reduces the green splash on the user's face while also providing a non-glare lens to stop any weird light artifacts from happening.  Glares and such can happen when you stack lenses like sacrificial demist shields.  One side effect of the amber is that it does cut some of the light (roughly 15-20% depending on the conditions).  It's impossible to say exactly how much it reduces the light because environmental conditions change all the time.  These numbers are provided by Wilcox.  

Thanks for the clarification

I wish I could get my hands on one of these to test out with the 3+ in person before taking the plunge

Such is life I suppose
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#8]

You can always buy the adapter assembly separately.  Try it with a 3+ that you own and if it doesn't work as well as you want, sell the 3+ to someone who will just be using it during the day and buy a 4.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This

Thanks for the clarification

I wish I could get my hands on one of these to test out with the 3+ in person before taking the plunge

Such is life I suppose

You can always buy the adapter assembly separately.  Try it with a 3+ that you own and if it doesn't work as well as you want, sell the 3+ to someone who will just be using it during the day and buy a 4.

I could be a guinea pig for you guys on the 3+ as well

Of course I would charge you guys nothing and do it for solely the sake of science  

Ill kick the idea around. Id love to be able to record night shoots. Just hard to pony up that kind of money without getting hands on experience is all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top