Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2014 6:40:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn... This is bigger than the leaked photos the other day... Well done I know it's been a long road. I'll talk to Martin when I get back to town...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like I'll be calling you guys about one in November.
Are these going to be a limited release thing or will you be stocking them?
What was the reasoning behind a fixed illuminator?
Will the IR laser have two brightness settings like the issued peq?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Bam, ordered.

And I plan to order a few more, as bank accounts allow.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Vic.......you are the man.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We are a stocking distributor.

The IR llluminator is fixed and pinned to insure the unit remains civilian legal. It cannot be turned without busting the unit and voiding the warranty.

Just one brightness setting, everything else identical including the programmable features of the lasers.

Vic
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like I'll be calling you guys about one in November.
Are these going to be a limited release thing or will you be stocking them?
What was the reasoning behind a fixed illuminator?
Will the IR laser have two brightness settings like the issued peq?

We are a stocking distributor.

The IR llluminator is fixed and pinned to insure the unit remains civilian legal. It cannot be turned without busting the unit and voiding the warranty.

Just one brightness setting, everything else identical including the programmable features of the lasers.

Vic

Thanks for the answers. I'll be ordering it before Christmas.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Geez, now you're gonna make me want to spend money that I shouldn't be spending...

Real talk: How do these compare to the DBAL i2's? Are they worth the extra couple hundred dollars?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Geez, now you're gonna make me want to spend money that I shouldn't be spending...

Real talk: How do these compare to the DBAL i2's? Are they worth the extra couple hundred dollars?
View Quote
Well, I'm sure a ton of guys are going to be getting their "clones" just that little bit more authentic, for posting in the clone threads.

That being said, this could not have come at a more opportune moment for me.  I've just got to figure out how many I want.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does a DBAL I2 have an illuminator built in?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative. Good point.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Negative. Good point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative. Good point.

Nor are the lasers slaved.

ETA: The DBAL D2 does have an illuminator built in however.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the great news!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative. Good point.

It's also $1700
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I was starting to research my IR laser options, and this one looks pretty good.

It looks like the neutral density filter cuts down the laser's bloom, but if you don't mind my asking, why aren't you using the unused high power switch position as an "extra low" output?
i.e., something like a .1 or .2mW setting in place of the high.  (or using 0.7mW at "high" and 0.1mW at "low")

I'm not familiar with the internals of the unit, but it seems like this would add a bit of utility to it without requiring much modification to the design.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It looks like the neutral density filter cuts down the laser's bloom, but if you don't mind my asking, why aren't you using the unused high power switch position as an "extra low" output?
i.e., something like a .1 or .2mW setting in place of the high.  (or using 0.7mW at "high" and 0.1mW at "low")

I'm not familiar with the internals of the unit, but it seems like this would add a bit of utility to it without requiring much modification to the design.
View Quote

that unused option is for extra high output, and would require a rewire of the basic design.

you can also use a pattern generator lens to change and shape of the pointer beam which would also cut down on blume,

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys just don't want me to have any money, do you?

Thanks for your tireless efforts! I just got my DBAL this year, but I'll be putting this on the list for next time I need to splurge.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Does it have a visible laser on it too?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:40:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does it have a visible laser on it too?
View Quote

Yes. "It features an Infrared Laser Pointer (0.7 mW Class1), Visible Laser Pointer (4.6 mW Class 3R Red), and Infrared Laser Illuminator (3 mW Class 3R)."
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#21]
How does the illuminator compare to a Torch at 250-300yrds with the torch at the tightest beam setting?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:50:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

that unused option is for extra high output, and would require a rewire of the basic design.

you can also use a pattern generator lens to change and shape of the pointer beam which would also cut down on blume,
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14814034/pics/2011-09-13%2010.40.28.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14814034/pics/2011-09-13%2010.40.28.jpg

One of my favorite little pieces of gear ever while i was in.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:06:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Just curious why does the device still have the FDA exempt sticker on it?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I have been waiting on this one  
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Unfortunately the lower powered laser didn't change the price as much as I had hoped... But my Mk12 really wants one...
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Is it just the prevailing conditions during the pictures or with the lower power of the commercial units is there a less definitive beam out the the point where laser is than with say the peq15 where I remember I could follow the beam all the way out to the point of aim.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm buying, PERIOD.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Good to hear, and thanks for the support!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm buying, PERIOD.
Good to hear, and thanks for the support!

You got it - been on this for a looong time.

Where and when we'll we know how to place an order?

I'm in California and I am ready.

ETA: NVM! Found the link on page one!

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Order placed!

Thanks so much for following through and bringing these to the civilian market!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lower mW of the beam. The higher mW has more power concentration on that finite beam, thus giving you essentially a straight line effect.

View Quote

Thanks for the explanation. I'm no rocket surgeon so lasers are voodoo, and don't get to play with them as much I'd like at work.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative. Good point.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#36]
This is fantastic news! Now I have to start scraping together the funds.

The clone-afficianados (including myself) are rejoicing. Thanks for your hard work to put this into production!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#37]
This will def. be on my list.  Subscribed for future interest.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#38]
This looks like a really bad-arse piece! The thing I want to know though, is there some reason why you make two of them? Does the govt. or military not allow civilians to have the ones of the same spec as them?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

This looks like a really bad-arse piece! The thing I want to know though, is there some reason why you make two of them? Does the govt. or military not allow civilians to have the ones of the same spec as them?
View Quote

The military model is capable of full auto laser fire that can melt through aircraft wings.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

slyguy,
I'm aware of the pattern generators, but could you explain the function of "extra high output" on the -C model?  
My understanding was that the "low" position gives us 0.7mW, the max allowed to us by the government.

Would it be a significant redesign?
I'm going on the assumption that they've already had to redesign, or "rewire", to accommodate the two lower power diodes, and that Insight had to do something internally with the switches to convert them to off or low power duplicate positions.

The functionality already exists to change the power output between .6mW / 25mW (aiming laser), and 3.5mW / 30mW (illuminator) for the restricted model, so I don't see a similar function on the unrestricted model as really changing it.
I'll concede that it might be easier to maintain relative switch positions with "low" being an extra low setting and "high" being the 0.7mW rather than using "high" as an extra-low.

The only change I see is making it an 85% reduction to go from 0.7mW to 0.1mW(ish), vs the 97.6% power reduction seen going from 25mW to 0.6mW.
Actually, according to TNVC, the Aimpoint LPI puts out 0.005mW on low, so a 97% reduction to ~0.017mW might still be practical/functional.  If this were the case, and the power selection was done through a pulse width modulation (PWM) method, I suspect that no redesign would be required to get a high/low power setting.
(if not, I still see the required changes as being fairly minor, comparable to the work already done to get the low power diodes in there)
I don't know how this could really be applied to the illuminator as it's currently described, but at least the laser power positions could do something useful.

I guess I'm still asking: will we see a dual output power version?  or why not? (out of curiosity)
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:59:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The military model is capable of full auto laser fire that can melt through aircraft wings.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somehow I feel like you're yanking my chain here with that one. I'll admit that I know literally nothing about this product but that's kinda why I'm asking. Guess I just don't understand why there has to be a civilian model.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:29:43 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Somehow I feel like you're yanking my chain here with that one. I'll admit that I know literally nothing about this product but that's kinda why I'm asking. Guess I just don't understand why there has to be a civilian model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The full-power .mil version is a class 3B laser, which will blind you if it shines directly into the eye, very unsafe if carelessly used, and controlled by the FDA.  FDA says they can only sell the full power PEQs to .mil or LEO agencies, not to us peons...hence, the -c version that is now available, as well as the other class 1 IR lasers sold by companies like TNVC.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Now I can make my rifle I carried in A-Stan !!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#46]
would it be pssible to see a youtube video of the laser in action in different conditions or scenarios?

i am looking at this from a personal defense stance, and would like to see if this is too much laser for my application.

considering this or an otal.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top