Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2015 2:26:49 AM EDT
Are there occasions in the various cowboy action events where you would need to reload your lever action on the clock or will the events all have round counts low enough to preclude reloads?

I'm not a competitor but it's something I've always considered getting into someday.  Currently medical issues make it impossible so I'm just learning stuff as I go.  I'm a huge fan of Henry rifles and one of my favorite lever actions is my .45 Colt Big Boy.  It's insanely accurate and has a beautiful action but the tube magazine isn't exactly designed for fast reloading.  I know that they aren't used much in CAS type competition due to the overall weight but seems like a decent choice if reloads aren't necessary on the clock.  This is basically just an information gathering question for later consideration.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have participated in Cowboy Action matches for several years and, with the clubs I have shot with, I have never had a stage where you would have to reload your rifle. Most stages are written for 10 rifle rounds, but occasionally will call for only 9 rifle rounds. I would imagine there have been stages written that involve a bonus rifle target where you might have to load an extra round on the clock. The most common reload during a stage is with the shotgun and I have shot in a few stages where it calls for you to load an extra pistol round on the clock for a bonus target...

I have a Uberti 1860 Henry in .45 Colt with a 24-1/2" barrel that hold 13 rounds in the magazine tube and a Uberti 1873 that holds 10 rounds. I have seen a few shooters use the Henry Big Boy rifle in Cowboy Action matches, but most shooters seem to use an 1860, 1866, 1873 variation or a 1892 lever action.

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to know, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, rifle reloads are expected on the clock in SASS.  You won't shoot for long without encountering them.

With a Henry Henry (!) you can load single rounds from the top.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RugRat:
Yes, rifle reloads are expected on the clock in SASS.  You won't shoot for long without encountering them.

View Quote

I have never thought of that before, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RugRat:

View Quote

+1. You can also load rounds on the top with 73s. A lot of the fast shooters do.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Several times a year I encounter stages w/ reoads. It's good to practice this because you will eject live rounds on occasion and proficiency helps your time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top