Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2014 7:39:41 PM EDT
I was looking at the Cimarron website comparing their "Frontier" revolvers vs the "Model P" ones. Both are SAA clones, both are case hardened frames & blue barrels. But which one is the Upscale & which is the bargain version?? What is the difference?? Thanks, Bill
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:51:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RugRat] [#1]
Cimarron and Taylors both take their standard Model P Uberti Revolvers and send them out to noted gunsmiths for competition action jobs.  They, in turn, sell these as their "competition ready" guns.  They have various names for these.  Most are fitted with after market main springs and refitted with wire springs for bolts and hands.  This spring "upgrade" makes the guns very durable.

With most Uberti guns, you're better off buying from a reputable 'smith (Cody, Longhunter, Evil Roy) or picking a gun out in person.  The eyetalian gunz can be made to work, but rarely do as they come from the factory.  One of the questionable things that the eyetalians do is heat treat after final machining.  Things often get warped this way and are left uncorrected by the factory.  You really want to deal with a local gunsmith rather than Uberti.

For example, the front and rear holes for the basepin sometimes end up on different axes.  This makes it impossible to square the cylinder with the barrel.  Best to have a 'smith take care of all this before you take delivery of an eyetalian gun.

Contact Cody Conheger as he's the one who does a lot of this kind of work for the big-2 importers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a cimarron model P in 45 LC. I absolutely LOVE this pistol. I would recommend against the frontier and go straight for the model P. I
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top