Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2012 12:13:23 AM EDT
My wife has taken a strong interest in mounted shooting... She's not really a gun gal, but her birthday is coming up.  I'm excited as our hobbies meet!

She has only gotten to borrow some rugers when she shot.. Any suggestions for a good set of mounted shooting pistols for really small hands?

I was thinking ~4.5" stainless taylor running irons, but I'm more of a precision rifle guy, so this is pretty much as new to me as it is her.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the middle of selling a set.  They're FANTASTIC guns but, if her hands are as small as you say they may not be for her.  I wear XXL gloves and they fit me just fine.  The only reason I'm selling mine is that I shoot the SASS Vaqueros just a tiny bit faster.  Might have her check out a pair of those in addition to the Runnin' Irons.  If she still decides she likes the Runnin' Irons she's getting some mighty fine guns.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Best of luck to your wife, it is a very fun sport with a lot of women, won't be long and you will be joining her.

I started competing in the 2011 season and just moved up to an M2.  Most of the people I have met use Ruger Vaqueros.  A lot of the ladies, prefer the Birdshead models because of the smaller grips.  My coach, who dropped back to an L5 this year, has been running a pair of old style Ruger Vaquero Birdsheads for many years.  I would suggest the shorter 3.5 inch barrels because they are lighter and easier to point and for a better powder spread to make it easier to hit the ballons.  Also, whatever you end up with, buy stainless steel.  The stainless will hold up to the black powder better and make cleaning easier, especially when she drops one in the dirt.  No matter how hard you try, it will happen and sometimes the only way to clean it is with a waterhose.

The Ruger Vaquero Montado was designed specifically for mounted shooting and the Talo Birdshead "Last Cowboy" Ruger is almost identical.  Both use a Super Black Hawk profile hammer and are easier to cock than a regular Vaquero.  I started with a pair of Montados with a good action job.  Last September I was at Easterns and seriously looked at a pair of the Taylor's Running Irons.   In the end I decided against them because the triggers were so light I was afraid I would shoot inadvertently because of the movement of the horse.

Remember, a good holster rig is just as important as a good pair of guns, have your wife look at the various rigs to find what works best for her.  Some of the courses have fast gun changes and you don't want your holster to hold you back.  I don't know anyone running an off the shelf holster, everyone has custom made mounted shooting holsters.  Look through the ads in The Rundown or Western Shooting Horse magazine.  I use a Rod Kibbler rig because he is local and although he doesn't compete in mounted shooting he does come to a lot of our shoots.  Susan Henning (Dixie Rose Leather) makes a lot of nice mounted shooting holsters as well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 2:29:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steven1513] [#3]
Taylor's Stallion with Birdshead grip is another good option. Taylor's just called to say my GF's Stallion order (38. spl, 4.75" barrel) arrived. Unfortunately, my GF didn't have the money and cancelled. So Taylor's had 2 in stock as of a few days ago!

Stallion Birdshead
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top