Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2012 11:19:17 PM EDT
I just picked up my first Cattleman the other day. My next purchase might be leather and I have no idea where to look. I think I know the setup I want but finding it online is a bugger so far. I am wanting both guns to be drawn with my right hand, with one of them being a cross draw at about the 10:30 or 11:00 o clock position. I have seen a couple people with the setup and I seemed to like it. Please give me advise and other websites to look at.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had outstanding service from Kirkpatrick and from Mernickle.  Each has many choices and each has fast service, with Kirkpatrick being the best on both counts in my experience.  

I must caution you that cross draw holsters present limitations down the line as complicated transitions often cannot be solved with a cross draw rig.  Also, they require so much more attention during pistol transitions.  Everyone I know who has invested practice in cross draw hits a wall eventually in their ability to keep up with a good two-strong-side shooter.

I agree with you that they look cool, but they needlessly complicate performance.  May I strongly caution you to avoid the cross draw.  You'll be handicapped in the end.

One of the ground rules of action shooting is that you must have both hands working during transitions.  We don't put one gun away and then move to acquire the next gun.  We do these things simultaneously.  Often, in action shooting, the problem is defined by the LAST gun that needs to be acquired.  In order to solve that problem, the first gun must be handled in a specific way.  A double strong side rig gives you more flexibility at starting on the right foot (hand) so that you end up where you want to be for the last gun.

Go to Kirkpatrick and look at the Longhunter rig.  It is far, and away, the most popular action rig and is very well made and durable.  It also has a reputation which results in significant residual value after you've used it.

Call Rachel Kirkpatrick and get your rig going.  

In the long run, you'll be faster with a double strong side rig.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RugRat:
Go to Kirkpatrick and look at the Longhunter rig.  

That's what I started with five years ago and am still using it with great success.  

RugRat also mentioned another very good name in Mernickle.  I'll throw Ted Blocker in there just because.  My wife shoots one of Ted's Dixie Bell rigs and loves it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on Ted Blocker
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top