Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2012 3:59:08 PM EDT
A friend is ill and needs to pay some bills so he wants to sell some guns he can't shoot anyway. I'm not a cowboy shooting guy, but I figure that it might be fun and you can never have too many guns.

He has  Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited in .45 Colt and another in .44 mag.  There is also a Norinco SPM-12 coach gun and a Interarms 99 coach gun, both in 12 guage.

I'm trying to help the guy out, so I was also wondering what a fair price would be.  As for the Marlins I'm on the fence about caliber... I really dig the .45 but I don't reload...yet... And it seems like the .44 might be more versatile.

Sorry if these are too noobish, but I know nothing about these types of guns and haven't been able to find much info on the shotguns except that the Norinco seems hard to find parts for judging by the number of people posting looking for spares.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd shy from the shotguns, but either Marlin is good to go!

The .44 may be more versatile for you because of the fact that you don't reload,and there are many different .44 mag/spl loads commercially available.

The .45 is still a crowd pleaser, especially when loaded with blackpowder shells!

I've seen prices range from $425 to $600 depending on condition, location and the purpose the buyer has in mind.

What part of the country are you in?
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 10:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Alazakla:
I'd shy from the shotguns, but either Marlin is good to go!

The .44 may be more versatile for you because of the fact that you don't reload,and there are many different .44 mag/spl loads commercially available.

The .45 is still a crowd pleaser, especially when loaded with blackpowder shells!

I've seen prices range from $425 to $600 depending on condition, location and the purpose the buyer has in mind.

What part of the country are you in?

Southeastern MI.  I'm actually collecting my brass and keeping an eye open to get started in reloading.

I really do want the .45, but as mentioned, the .44 might be more versatile.

I have a bit more time to decide since I just bought a 9422 and Norinco 1897 from him
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
There are some Cowboy clubs in your neck of the woods, I believe. Probably some cowboys that would be interested in which ever Marlin you aren't!

That Nor 97 will be a good CAS gun for all but a few categories (blackpowder, B Western, Classic Cowboy).

If you decide that 9422 is not for you, drop me a line!
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 10:22:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixpack595] [#4]
Originally Posted By Alazakla:
There are some Cowboy clubs in your neck of the woods, I believe. Probably some cowboys that would be interested in which ever Marlin you aren't!

That Nor 97 will be a good CAS gun for all but a few categories (blackpowder, B Western, Classic Cowboy).

If you decide that 9422 is not for you, drop me a line!

Glad to hear about the 97.

As for the 9422, I liked it so much I bought another already!

ETA: I saw an Uberti Cattleman? in .45LC at the fun store when I was picking up the other 9422.  It looked to be about a 4/5" with a case colored frame.  Used, but looked great in the case for $350. Any experience with them?  I was planning on buying some Rugers, but that one looked really nice.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#5]
What pistols do are you using? Either one would work for both Wild Bunch and CAS, but I'd suggest going with the 45LC simply because more people are shooting it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 1:34:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By EchoHouseBravo:
What pistols do are you using? Either one would work for both Wild Bunch and CAS, but I'd suggest going with the 45LC simply because more people are shooting it.

I only have 1911s right now.  Haven't got my single actions yet.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Well either one would work for Wild Bunch, the question is which would you prefer to shoot for your Single Acitons. if you stick with the 45LC you'll be able to reload with the same bullets as your 1911, so you can go for volume to make up for the cost over the shooting .38s.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By EchoHouseBravo:
Well either one would work for Wild Bunch, the question is which would you prefer to shoot for your Single Acitons. if you stick with the 45LC you'll be able to reload with the same bullets as your 1911, so you can go for volume to make up for the cost over the shooting .38s.

I'm by nature a 1911 guy, so that fact alone seals the deal. I also like the 20" more than the 24" .44.  

There is also a Winchester 16"  .357 for $500 but those look too stubby to me.

I think .45 it is.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like the .44 too but from the reading I'm doing if you're looking for more out of the gun the .45 Colt can give you more power with lower pressures and as said more people are shooting for it so if you get into the game you'll find components easier to find.
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I owned, and shot a Marlin in both of those caliber for CAS.  The .44 worked out well and I used it for several years, until I started to outrun it.

The .45 had terrible blow back.  It really isn't a rifle cartridge and only works marginally in my experience.

So, from my experiences with Marlins, I'd go with the .44.  Lots of guys start with .45 Colt's cartridges in SASS.  Most of them get out of that caliber as soon as they can.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Cowboy Limited Marlins are VERY desireable and becoming very hard to find.  If it were me, I'd buy both, shoot them until I decided which one I liked best and then sell the other one.  Post it on the SASS Wire Classifieds and you can probably get $700 - $800.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top