Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2015 5:19:10 PM EDT
I went through all 6 pages of this sub forum and found nothing on medical training.  Can someone point me to a well done concise DVD on using the articles in your IFAK?  I know that I should take a class, but I need something sooner than later.  How to use a CAT tourniquet, Izzy bandages etc.

I don't live in the sandbox for a job, my application is more along the lines if someone gets shot while training.

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]
FIRST!

...I've never done that on ARFCOM lol.

To answer your question, I haven't watched it but Panteao has a long DVD on CLS:

http://panteao.com/product/combat-lifesaver/

It's got like 90 min just on hemorrhage control.

ETA:  I have streaming so I scanned through it.  Has 90 min on hemorrhage and covers products and IFAKs.  A 20-min section on airway and lung collapse, a 12-min on carry techniques, then a tacticool training scenario at the end.  I'd recommend it.  I'll be watching the full length... sometime.  Oh and it's currently on sale for $23.  So there
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the recommendation on specific video.  That one looks like it will met my needs very well and the price is right.

I started the thread and it is in the training section on DVDs etc so I want to do a little thread drift.  Please give me your opinion on buying a library of DVDs vs. the streaming option.  I see that they have 25% off on the streaming option right now.  For the price of the streaming, I could own 4 or 5 different DVDs.

I often tell others, if you watch a DVD and don't practice the techniques on the range - that's called entertainment.  If you watch the DVD and then run the drills - now that is training.  Bluntly I don't think I could really watch then training 5 good DVDs at the range with multiple range sessions in a year.  Basically, watch the DVD then two months plus a little more to train the techniques.  I wanted to get your opinion on the process.  Of course it will be different for everyone with the amount of time that they are willing to dedicate to real training.  Thanks for your thoughts.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm streaming for a few months, watching as much of the line as possible.  The short list of DVDs that I think are worth keeping forever will be my wishlist for my family during holidays.

A lot of their DVDs are just aiiight.  The prepper stuff was great to play in the background, but is it worth $250 for the DVD box set?  Meh, not for me.  The quality of the video kinda depends on who is teaching it.  If you like Guy X, then it's safe to say you could just buy everything he did and love it, but there's like 15 instructors to choose from.  It's kinda like martial arts- you may love Jiu Jitsu but not Krav Maga.  Once you narrow it down, buy your 5 Jiu Jitsu DVDs and spend your time honing skills.  There are some dudes that I legitimately hated their style, thought it was out of date/ bad tactical principles, etc.

I'd absolutely recommend doing month-to-month streaming.  $20 a month is competitive enough.  Getting a year subscription is pretty dang excessive, it's not that big of a library.  I'm probably at 50% right now for all their DVDs, after 2 months.  But then again I don't have cable so Panteao is my only TV right now.

Ps, I watched the CLS DVD and it's absolutely worth it.  I'm definitely buying it eventually.  The guy is a longtime surgeon so he gets really in depth on how and why you should do things a certain way.  It's AT LEAST on par with any local class you could get.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#4]

I bought the DVD that you recommended from the EAG Doc
Spears and one that I have wanted from Bill Rogers shooting school
called Reactive Shooting.  I bought both of those for $54.28 including
shipping.  I want to buy an IFAK now, but after investing in the
DVD, I'll wait to see what kinds of recommendations that the DVD provides
before spending money on the wrong things.  
Have to ask about this statement of yours in your original response to my question:

"FIRST!
...I've never done that on ARFCOM lol.
"

So you have never read all six pages of the training forum or you have never "my application is more along the lines if someone gets shot while training."?

I'm a very small time instructor.  This weekend I ran through almost 200 munchkins (kids under 18) with 22 rimfire handguns.  Next weekend I teach an NRA Basic Pistol class.  I'm running 4 events in May alone.  I have always worried what would happen if one of the many students didn't follow instructions properly and shot themselves, another student or ME.  Again, it's not that I am doing a job in the sandbox.  I watched a High Speed Gear Inc video clip on the new IFAK Taco.  It said something to the effect that if you train to use lethal force you should also train to use life saving techniques.  Bad paraphrase, but you get the idea.  

Again, thanks for your candid thoughts and the nice recommendation.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I just meant that I'd never managed to be the first one to reply on thread  

Yeah, having a good IFAK is important.  Just warning you, all the good stuff is expensive.

Dark Angel, TacMed, and Chinook are some good brands to look at, if you don't already have a starting point.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I received my DVDs already and finished the Doc Spears presentation. The material is presented in a way as to not over complicate the material but deliver it in a way that even I can understand.  This is not a DVD to watch one time and then say that you are done with the training.  I want to watch it twice through and then practice some of the techniques on the family and myself.  Then watch it some more.  

Just like having to use a weapon to defend myself or my family, I hope to never have to actually use these skills, but I believe it is important to have them.  I would really like to attend an actual class locally that doesn't cost $500 to attend, but until that takes place this DVD will get me started down the right path.

Thanks again, Lefty.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top