Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2010 6:06:50 PM EDT
are the magpul "art of the dynamic...."  series any good? How bout the two carbine volumes, is the first volume geared more towards the beginner shooter and can be skipped for someone with years of shooting experience?

Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
yes.....

dont skip.... no matter the level of training you think youre at, knowledge is power......
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have them all and find them to not only to be educational but entertaining as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 1:11:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Fantastic videography. GREAT marketing tool for Magpul.

You can learn thing from the series, but in the end nothing beats hands on experience.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Easily one of the best video series out there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Entertaining, also,  as with all videos, provides a sylabus to work with.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I find them very useful.  I really like their explanations.  These videos have made me rethink some of my gear setups and manipulations.  One area they lack is techniques for left handed shooters especially mag changes.  The second disc on the first volume has advanced techniques on it so it would still be very useful to more advanced shooters.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like them, but don't have much to compare them to.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the Art of the Carbine and the Art of the Shotgun. I like the videos and respect the instructors. The production quality is top notch. Their presentations are very logical and organized. I don't agree with every technique or tactic they teach and I don't expect everyone to agree with everything I present. I believe the Teaching / Learning exchange should stimulate one to critically evaluate what works for them in their situation.

These materials have given me different ways to present what I already teach along with a few new techniques that I am incorporating (primarily with the shotgun training).  I plan to pick up their handgun DVD soon but I will have to make time to review it and work on it when I get it.

I recommend these  videos.

Does Carbine II offer much beyond the first DVD?

Link Posted: 1/16/2011 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#9]
A friend let me borrow Art of the tactical carbine 1, i got half way the first dvd before i took it out of the PS3 and return it.

I am sure i am not the only one.

I was told the second video is better, but what i saw was just advertisement.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I have their handgun one and don't care for it.  My bro bought it for me and I made it through perhaps 40 minutes before I turned it off.  It's been a while but I recall I found the instructors very monotone and the demonstrations boring.  Perhaps this is because I had just finished the Guns & Ammo Advanced Personal Defense: Combat Focus Shooting and Home Defense Tips DVD.  Don't laugh!  It was a quality DVD and FAR more interesting than the Magpul DVD.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, I think they are great and well put together. Great Value!
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Watch the videos, then go to the range and practice, practice ! IMHO of the courses I've taken and the money spend you can't beat these videos.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Is there a rental source for these?  I doubt I'll watch it multiple times.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You might be surprised.  I have watched mine a few times.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I found art of the dynamic handgun to be the best (most helpful) out of the two rifle ones and the pistol one
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#16]
They are good videos.  But, if you want to get your moneys worth out of them, watch, take notes, then practice when you go to the range.  

They cease being just DVDs and become actual Training Aids.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#17]
The handgun one is the only one I own. I must say, it helped my and my roommates shooting. The grip and fundamentals simply hadn't truly been taught to me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#18]
very awesome dvd's
the carbine and handgun and shotgun are all awesome!!

by the way, watch the out takes, those guys are hilarious.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes very much so.  I had a 'Tactical' Shotgun match today and though I don't practice much with I still do very well with the methods taught on TAOTDS.  It is all their methods are very economical and very easy to pick up with minimal practice.  

Like one poster above said, 'Knowledge is power".
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Great training video's. Full of information presented in a manner that is interesting, informative and entertaining.

My wife enjoys watching them. (Her usual reaction is the guys voice puts me to sleep and it's boring)
They are like all training videos/course's, take what you want from them and then go out and practice.

When I say practice, I mean proper practice not blowing hole's in the air until you are knee deep in brass!!

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They are good videos.  But, if you want to get your moneys worth out of them, watch, take notes, then practice when you go to the range.  

I agree, and I've even brought some of their handgun techniques into my classes.

If I didn't decide to do something crazy like getting married, I would be enrolled in one of their classes this year.

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#22]
IMO, they are the best firearms "training" videos I've ever seen, bar none. I've sampled quite a few over the years and found most totally lacking. However, the Magpul videos continue to occupy a place on my shelf and get watched on a regular basis. They are a great resource and reference. No video series makes up for actually taking classes in person, but these come closest to accomplishing this better than any others I've seen.
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 6:58:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might be surprised.  I have watched mine a few times.

Same here. I have watched mine several times to brush up on technique and it's a good motivator to head to the range.

Link Posted: 9/7/2011 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I fail to see how it was advertisement. I just finished the first disc and the only thing that came even close to "plugging" was when Haley mentioned his Battery Assist Lever, and even with it, he never came out and said it was a B.A.D. lever or even mention Magpul.

ETA: I think it's a very good buy and have since ordered both the Handgun and Shotgun DVDs. Let's put it this way, it's worth the 100 rounds of ammo that you could purchase instead and just pop off at the range.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I think they are great production value is really good on them
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#26]
IMNSHO, they are some of the best vids available.

The production value is better on the Magpul DVDs than most others, and this causes some people to think they're too “slick”, and mostly promotional.  Yes, these vids are great promotional advertisement for Magpul, but if you are a serious student of weapons and personal combat, the content of these vids is awesome.  Yes, there are more advanced techniques that they don't go into, but what they do show is extremely solid and very well presented.

I just received the Magpul Shotgun DVDs a couple days ago and look forward to watching these.

YMMV, but not by much
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 3:06:47 AM EDT
[#27]
the drills are nice and the gear talks at the end are cool. Just dont get caught up in how fast those guys are shooting... they rarely hit the target when shooting that fast. I have watched all the videos and they forgot to edit out a few cuts where they actually show the targets... every one of the clips shows them missing... every one.  BUT i digress, the drills are good, looks like he took techniques from different training schools around the country and made 1 course out of them. I dont know if you call that poaching but he did NOT come up with any of that shit on his own. Id train with Haley any day though
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
the drills are nice and the gear talks at the end are cool. Just dont get caught up in how fast those guys are shooting... they rarely hit the target when shooting that fast. I have watched all the videos and they forgot to edit out a few cuts where they actually show the targets... every one of the clips shows them missing... every one.  BUT i digress, the drills are good, looks like he took techniques from different training schools around the country and made 1 course out of them. I dont know if you call that poaching but he did NOT come up with any of that shit on his own. Id train with Haley any day though

At this stage in the game I don't think anyone is doing or coming up with anything new. Everybody is on the same page and basically teaches what they like and what works for them. If they are good they'll teach all effective methods and allow the student decide what works for them.

There is only so many different ways to manipulate a firearm...
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This

Watching the videos is just an overview, actually going out and doing the drill is a whole different ball of wax.  Things look easy until  you actually go to a class and an instructor mind-f's you and all of a sudden those simple things are a lot harder than they look.  It takes lots of practice and repetition to make the techniques become second nature.  

The first time I watched the Tactical Carbine video, I set up my gear and practiced all the stuff in the stress free environment of my living room.  I thought I had a good grasp of everything until I actually took a class and I learned how wrong I was.  The other people in the class had many classes under thier belts and one was a SWAT team member.  I am pretty sure I ended up being "that guy" for that class.

Link Posted: 4/19/2012 2:59:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I've watched most to all of every Magpul training series (except shotgun, only part of that one) and I must say they are very educational and take logical approaches to everything and actually answer the question "why do it this way." Volume 1 was total garbage and incredibly unprofessional compared to the other videos (fairly certain that was the first video they made). At one point Chris costa is yelling at a female student to reload to create stress and whatnot "mother of god, get a mag in that gun!!" and they both start cracking up.

Volume 2 was great though and they actually used experienced shooters (all had been shooting 15+ years, as opposed to first vid which featured very amateur shooters). Dynamic Handgun was also great.

Most of all though, the most recent one Art of the Precision Rifle was incredible. Just absolutely outstanding. It's hard to describe how important that video is to knowing how to shoot accurately at anything farther than 600 yards. The expert they turn too is incredibly knowledgable in the subject, and takes an approach to long range shooting that god I wish people would apply to everything: You can't argue with where the bullet hits; results are results. He's very no nonsense and also just great at teaching and explaining things, which honestly is equal to if not more important than knowing what you're talking about. Out of all the courses, if you could only watch one, this would be the one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Relevant to my interests! I just asked for "Art of the Precision Rifle" on Blu-Ray for Christmas.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I will say the Precision Rifle set is long, about 10the hours worth.   They are decent but not really great in my option.   If you are new to this type of shooting they are not geared to you.  I would say a mid level shooter would see some benefit.

The production was great and overall a professional package.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

and which video was there and were?  

i know i can and travis and chris can back up our speed and hits......

there are times in video prouductions were they have B-roll footage just showing the gun being run fast and hard for a angle  or shot to demo the techniques and for the viewer to see the stance grip etc and control on the gun and not actually working over a target..... ill take that challenge though ill be in texas  in 1.5 weeks  teaching drop in  and say hi and bring some betting money
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

there are times in video prouductions were they have B-roll footage just showing the gun being run fast and hard for a angle  or shot to demo the techniques and for the viewer to see the stance grip etc and control on the gun and not actually working over a target..... ill take that challenge though ill be in texas  in 1.5 weeks  teaching drop in  and say hi and bring some betting money

I have seen Travis run his rifle and handgun in person . . . he definitely gets his hits.  I have yet to see Chris shoot in person but I will report back (if I remember this thread exists) in August after I get back from his Carbine 2 class.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I take the DVD's to the range along with my portable DVD player. It works out very well for me. If I am confused on a technique, I pull out the DVD's and watch how the pros do it. The third DVD (from the first carbine set) has a section called "drills". It shows Chris and Travis preforming the techniques from different angles and slowed to various speeds. That alone has helped me more than anything else. It by itself was worth the price of the set. Not only are these guys really good shooters, they can teach as well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#36]
I've watched a LOT of training videos over the years, and the Magpul series are by far my favorites. Haley and Costa are fantastic instructors, they keep it interesting and are very good at boiling things down to the absolute simplest terms... their focus on economy of motion has helped me endlessly in developing techniques for weapons they didn't cover.

I've started on HSP's series as well, which IMHO are even better due to the "one on one" style of training.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen Travis run his rifle and handgun in person . . . he definitely gets his hits.  I have yet to see Chris shoot in person but I will report back (if I remember this thread exists) in August after I get back from his Carbine 2 class.

I took a class from Chris last year.  He shoots very quickly and accurately.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#38]
They're great as an overview. I usually fall asleep listening to them talk though because they kind of drone on, even though they can be funny at times.

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took a class from Chris last year.  He shoots very quickly and accurately.

Chris does indeed get his hits and is a fabulous instructor.  And yes I did forget about this thread

I am heading back to NC in September for his Handgun 2 class. . . I just have to find 1 more case of ammo
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm having a hard time telling the difference between:  

Magpul Dynamics™ The Art of the Tactical Carbine 2nd Edition, 4-Disc DVD Set

and

Magpul Dynamics™ The Art of the Tactical Carbine VOLUME II 2nd Edition, 4-Disc DVD Set

Is one just an update of the previous one?  I know that there is a first edition, but understand that the second edition DVDs are an update from that.  So what's the difference between the two 2nd edition sets?  Is the information in both sets the same or is the Volume II different stuff.  

Bottom line, do you buy both?  My first Magpul DVD set, which to buy first?

Link Posted: 3/24/2013 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I like the art of the carbine rifle.  Pistol is way too complicated.  By that I mean there are too many different options to try and remember.  For Costa it's easy to remember because he teaches it nearly every day.  But for the user, I think it's too much information and should be whittled down immensely.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I fail to see how it was advertisement. I just finished the first disc and the only thing that came even close to "plugging" was when Haley mentioned his Battery Assist Lever, and even with it, he never came out and said it was a B.A.D. lever or even mention Magpul.

ETA: I think it's a very good buy and have since ordered both the Handgun and Shotgun DVDs. Let's put it this way, it's worth the 100 rounds of ammo that you could purchase instead and just pop off at the range.
View Quote

Precision rifle has multiple shameless plugs for the OBR and larue mounts.  I rolled my eyes and ignored them.  Still a good video.  Don't know about the others.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#43]
double post
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Good to watch the video quality is top notch. Gave me a lot of ideas for dry fire Drills/training. Outakes are funny to.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 4:48:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah they're pretty good, the handgun being the best in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Since ammo is tight (and money now) they are a good way to practice at home, and in my case they just help me get into practicing.
I showed the wife the TacRifle course and she liked it. She is a new shooter and it helped me enforce the fundamentals.

Again these are not a replacement for actual life exercises, but its MUCH better than doing nothing.

On our list is to watch the handgun and shotgun DVD.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I received both Volume 1 and 2 of the Magpul Dynamics Carbine videos when I purchased a S&W AR15 Magpul Edition.  They were already in the rifle box and were included at no additional charge.  Great Vids!  Volume 2 is just more high-speed stuff.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#48]
most of these videos are on sale super cheap on close-out on Magpul's website. <$10ea
https://www.magpul.com/products/closeout
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Off-topic.  How the heck did you revive an archived thread?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Off-topic.  How the heck did you revive an archived thread?
View Quote

no idea. didnt even notice the date or that it was archived. just happened to see the thread topic after i had ordered some of these videos and figured id reply.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top