Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2008 5:24:52 PM EDT
How about a thread of training/tactics books that you have found valuable?  Either for yourself, to increase your knowledge base, or for beginners, to introduce them to concepts and techniques?

I'll start out with a couple books I often suggest.  Several of them are not "shooting" books, but more related to mindset.  Shooting is the easy part--it's the mental side of things that generally needs more work, I think.

Defensive Handgunning.  I think the author is a genius.    Basic to intermediate shooting techniques, combined with many of the mental aspects that a lot of people seem to overlook.  Another review

On Killing, Dave Grossman.  Classic, no library is complete without it.

On Combat, Dave Grossman.  This is a great overview and nicely summarizes about 5 other books I've read.  This isn't as in-depth as the books it summarizes, but this book delves deeply enough to get a useful understanding of the topics covered more exhaustively elsewhere.

Deadly Force Encounters.  Largely covered in "On Combat", but this is the original.

The Gift of Fear, Gavin deBecker.  A nice addition to situational awareness training that emphasizes the power of subconscious.

Blink, Malcolm Gladwell.  Interesting read related to situational awareness, particularly how we perceive and judge our environment.

Verbal Judo, George Thompson.  Great de-escalation resource.

The Survivor Personality, Al Siebert.  Mental thought processes and how they affect our approach to challenges.
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got The Book of Two Guns by Tiger McKee. Awesome book.
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#2]
"Leadership and Training for the Fight" by Paul Howe
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 1:45:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Inside the Jihad, My life with Al Qaeda, A spy's story. By Omar Nasiri

Story is about a muslim spy that infiltrated the Afghanistan training camps and explains Al Qaeda's training and tactics.

It was a good book, and good way to find out more about our enemies tactics.

After the Echo, by Russ Clagett

A story about a Police sniper that had to take the shot, and what it is like legally and mentally afterwards. Also talks about many ways to train to prepare the mind to take that shot.

The one that got away, by Chris Ryan

A story about a SAS soldier whos team was compromised and captured but Ryan got away by walking nearly 180 miles with barely no food or water. One of the greatest books i have read, and is great for mindset.
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Book review of Green Eyes, Black Rifles
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#5]
^ to avoid archiving.
Link Posted: 3/27/2008 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I have three copies of Tiger McKee's Book of Two Guns.

Like the "Green Eyes Black Rifles" review notes of that text I will say that there are numerous spelling errors and grammatical errors. However, Tigers' text is a pretty thorough treatment of the "modern technique" of the pistol and Ar15 for that matter. Further, it is consistent throughout and flows logically. It is worth the money, especially for those who refuse to get in person training.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
^ to avoid archiving.
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#10]
^ to avoid archiving.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#11]

^ to avoid archiving.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"Leadership and Training for the Fight" by Paul Howe

One of the best books on prepping for a fight I have ever read... definitely the best "mindset" book

Hotlink Leadership and Training for the fight - Paul Howe1

Just got The Book of Two Guns by Tiger McKee. Awesome book.

Probably the best introductory weapons handling book I have ever read... also some good mindset stuff and a little tactics

Hotlink Book of Two Guns - Tiger McKee

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#14]
^ to avoid archiving.

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I also loved Grossman's "on killing"  as interesting reading.  on killing
I also highly recomment lawrence Kanes book surviving armed assaults    This book details alot of examples of what went went wrong and how to avoid it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 12:52:29 AM EDT
[#16]
To add to the above...

Tactical Pistol Marksmanship by Gabe Suarez is a good starter text & the dry fire drills in the back are very helpful for establishing a baseline skillset.

Fight at Night by Andy Stanford is the Surgical Speed Shooting of low light tactics.  A lot of physiological info as the "why" backdrop to the info in the book.

Once an Eagle by Anton Myrer.  Damn good example of what every leader should strive to be.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Bump so I can find this later.

Good thread.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 2:48:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Nothing to do with shooting, but I recommend Professional Driving Techniques, by Anthony J. "Tony" Scotti.

Tony Scotti is the founder of Vehicle Dynamics Institute and basically the godfather of security driving in America. I attended his Vehicle Dynamics and Exercise Design course last year, and picked up his book. It clearly explains a lot of techniques for driving safely, effectively and defensively that people don't pick up from Dad or the basketball coach in high school driver's ed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 4:30:12 AM EDT
[#19]
tag for the neat references....
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#20]
'Meditations on Violence' , Rory Miller
A superb look at the reality of violence vs. generally held perceptions, the psychology of violence and realistic vs stylized training. It's intended to address unarmed defense but IMHO is a 'must read' in preparation for any violent encounter.

'Defensive Handgunning - A treatise on handgun Carry and Usage' - Glenn Rehberg
A 'soup to nuts' look at the defensive handgun. This is the book that I gave to a close friend when she bought her first handgun.

'The Gift of Fear' Gavin Debecker
i don't agree with everything the author has to say, but his take home message regarding "instinct" and the need to trust it is extremely important.

'Defensive Living' - Lovett and Spaulding
Almost a booklet rather than a book, but an excellent look at situational awareness.

<EDIT> Oops, on second read, looks like I duped several books already listed by Glenn. What can I say - I taught him every thing he knows.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
^ to avoid archiving.

great thread guys...I will also suggest Lone Survivor..I'll have to get the details but, it was an awesome book.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
^ to avoid archiving.

great thread guys
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#23]
http://www.amazon.com/T-P-S-Tactical-Application-Practical/dp/1440109591

Kinda short if you don't count all the drills that are displayed, but a good book for the price.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Verbal Judo is good especially for LEO's.

I feel Ed Lovette and Dave Spaulding's Defensive Living and Dave Spaulding's Handgun Combatives are both good although underestimated.

Real world survival by Walt Rauch is now dated but still good.

Tiger McKee The book of two guns was good.

Jeff Gonzales Combative Fundamentals was good and about 300any pages if you like to read.

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 1:26:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Some of these are old but still worth reading and this is only a partial list:

No second place winner bill Jordan

Too close for complacency -- Don't remember the author.

Tactical Reality 1 and 2 by Louis Awerbuck

Kill or get Killed Col Rex Applegate

Sharpening the Warriors Edge Bruce Siddle

the Art of the Rifle Jeff Cooper

The Snubby Revolver Ed Lovette

In the Gravest Extreme Massad Ayoob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top