Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2017 9:56:29 PM EDT
First off, I apologize if there's a better place for me to post this, but I couldn't think of one.

So I'm looking to sign up for my first tactical carbine course and I'm needing help on getting some gear together.  Specifically, I know I'm going to need a belt mounted pistol holster and then some handgun and AR mags for reloads.  I've been to this range before for an LTC class (Texas) and I saw the range masters walking around with those fat molle belts and their AR mags and pistol mags on that.  I'm thinking that would be a good place for me to start, as opposed to a full plate carrier load out.  But I have no idea where to start looking.  Also, I've never used molle gear before and now that I'm looking around I see all sorts of attachment methods for holsters and mag pouches and stuff.  I know I need to carry two AR mags and two pistol mags and my pistol.

So here are my specific questions:

For my pistol I'm going to want a holster that holds my XD with my TLR-1 on it and it's looking like kydex is the way to go.  I can easily find one or get a custom one made, but what about the attachment method to one of these molle belts?  Is it just a regular molle attachment or is there something special for pistol holsters?
For the magazines I see kydex stuff and I see fabric stuff.  Any recommendations on those?  I see AR mag pouches with the pistol mag pouches stacked on top of that.  Would you reccommend those?
Any recommendations on belt types/brands?  It seems there's quite a variety of belt types in general.

Also, I know I'm going to want a good pair of gloves.  Are the any other things I'm missing in general?

Any help or resources are very much appreciated!

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Contact the instructor you plan to train with.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:31:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I could call and ask for free gear advice I suppose, but I assumed it was my homework to make it happen before I show up and was looking for that technical advice here.  Besides, I always like to learn and I've never used the stuff so I don't want to stumble into spending money on something that's more than I need (or gimmicky garbage) when there's so much experience here that could help me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:42:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a holster like:  this w/this.  

Suspenders like:  these.

Belt like:  this.

Sleeve like:  this.

Mag pouches like:  these.

IFAK like:  this.

Like = similar to.

I referenced several different sources just to get you started; in many cases you can obtain the belt, sleeve and suspenders from the same source.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:43:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm no expert so my advise isn't worth much but you might get more traction to your questions in the Tactical Gear forum in the Armory section. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:05:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the advice!

That'll get me going.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have a sturdy belt (Wilderness/leather gun belt/etc), you can just run your holster and pistol/carbine mag carriers and call it a day.

It's your first course. Focus on learning and don't sweat details about gear.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#7]
KillerB6 listed some top notch stuff, but if you have a budget that isn't that high.

--------

Look around at some surplus stuff, I ended up building my own 'battle belt' using a surplus British PLCE belt, with suspenders and a bunch of pouches that came with it (for cheap, like $45ish) then added a few more modern attachments for it.

So don't be afraid to look at surplus kits: mollee mag, IFAK, and general purpose pouches can be found for cheap.

I wouldn't run out and buy some $70 medical pouch, and then have to go out and spend another $100 to get decent medical supplies to stuff into it...

Now when it comes to quick grab pistol mags, I like the Blackhawk 'double stack mag case' type holders. You may have to buy mollee attachments to mount these on a mollee system, otherwise they tend to go on just about any size belt you may use.

I also have their SERPA holster, yes I know its reputation and how some dummies (Tex Grebner or whatever) shot himself using one. But this wasn't caused by a flaw in the holster.

Now for quick access to rifle mags, I use a double-taco pouch from HSGI. Honestly, these double-tacos aren't that great. I would recommend getting single tacos in whatever amount you'll want/need to mount to this belt. The double ones are just a bit awkward (but still can work if that's what you go with).

So all in all I have a 'full battle belt' system for a cost of something like (assuming you buy new) $150ish. Granted mine is a mix of 'top notch' and 'surplus' gear, not to mention I bought a bunch of double tacos years ago (ended up selling all but 1 of them). So they are probably a little cheaper now (or maybe not)...

Also a note for surplus stuff, ACU colored gear tends to be widely available. No, I don't like ACU pattern either, but, you can buy some RIT dye for cheap and change the bright snow/sage-brush camo into something better suited for your needs..
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:46:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Get a holster like:  this w/this.  

Suspenders like:  these.

Belt like:  this.

Sleeve like:  this.

Mag pouches like:  these.

IFAK like:  this.

Like = similar to.

I referenced several different sources just to get you started; in many cases you can obtain the belt, sleeve and suspenders from the same source.
View Quote

So real dumb question here....I assume the mag pouches attach to the belt? Err....How? For example looking at the back of the mag pouch you linked it looks pretty flat...ie...No loops or places to slide a belt into the pouch.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:09:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Banshee0209] [#9]
I'm also preparing for my first carbine course.

I went with an hsgi slim grip battle belt. One double stack m4 taco mag pouch and a m4mag pistol mag combo taco pouch. Hsgi cobra belt underneath. I will add a holster with the molle lock for my glock soon.

The double stack tacos aren't bad but I agree with the post above, if I had known before I would have stuck with singles. I got a double m4 + pistol pouch that I promptly took off. Pretty awkward feeling.

I considered a chest rig, but I'm just a regular Joe, I really don't want to give off any impressions that I'm a wanna be a GI, or even that I know what I'm doing at all. I like it so far but won't know much until I get out and run with it. This is a good compromise.

Though I saw this today and, if I had seen it sooner I might have went this direction.

http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/moduloader-frames-modular-base/

I might still go that way eventually and keep the battle belt for a heavier load out that can be taken on and off more quickly. Sort of a shtf setup I suppose
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Banshee0209:
I'm also preparing for my first carbine course.

I went with an hsgi slim grip battle belt. One double stack m4 taco mag pouch and a m4mag pistol mag combo taco pouch. Hsgi cobra belt underneath. I will add a holster with the molle lock for my glock soon.

The double stack tacos aren't bad but I agree with the post above, if I had known before I would have stuck with singles. I got a double m4 + pistol pouch that I promptly took off. Pretty awkward feeling.

I considered a chest rig, but I'm just a regular Joe, I really don't want to give off any impressions that I'm a wanna be a GI, or even that I know what I'm doing at all. I like it so far but won't know much until I get out and run with it. This is a good compromise.

Though I saw this today and, if I had seen it sooner I might have went this direction.

http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/moduloader-frames-modular-base/

I might still go that way eventually and keep the battle belt for a heavier load out that can be taken on and off more quickly. Sort of a shtf setup I suppose
View Quote

I use the moduloaders with paddle clip attachments and like them a lot. FYI, they are made for the tacos but work just as well with Esstac KYWI pouches too
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:39:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9mm4me] [#11]
I like HSGI tacos for pouches. I would talk to the instructor and see what he recommends.

Check out the Raven concealment  Moduloader. You can create what ever you need and it will fit on your regular belt. Stick with single tacos as well. I tried the pistol/rifle doubles and they are too heavy fully loaded.

I wore my ares gear aegis belt and a raven concealment moduloader with two rifle tacos. Some guys were all kitted up and some guys wore blue jeans and carried mags in their back pockets. If it's your first class I would not go heavy on equipment. Part of training is seeing what works and what doesn't and what you really need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top