Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2016 7:53:40 AM EDT
Here is the situation that I find myself in.   I have weak eye sight with poor resolution (probably because of the glasses).   I will be shooting Appleseed KD's, F-Class, High Power, and infrequent  DMR matches (2x a year).   I shoot for fun once a month.   I'm a hack but I have the biggest smile on the line.  I plan to take a tactical rifle class in a year or so.

I tried out the Mil R reticle and couldn't consistently see the reticle lines because of their thinness (0.12 MOA @10MOA).   I'd lose the reticle image against black and dark targets.    I returned that scope and exchanged it for one with an IHR reticle because the lines are fatter (0.18 MOA at 10x).   The IHR lines are much more visible and I like the simple image.    

With the IHR reticle, I'm giving up the ability to do hold-overs and ranging versus the MOAR.   The MOAR lines are 10% thinner (0.16 MOA) and I may have a hard time seeing them as well.    I figured out how do ranging with the power ring and various elements in the reticle so I can easily overcome losing that capability.

My big concern is hold-overs for tactical/precision shooting classes and DMR match situations.   How important are hold-overs in those environments and is it possible to shoott the tactical classes by dialing alone?     Am I losing anything else by going with a IHR reticle?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top