Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2016 3:38:19 PM EDT
Hey guys i need some help I'm from Michigan the Detroit area my question is would anyone know where i could get some training on my ar15 for a beginner? I know how to go to the range and shoot but i know theres more to self defense then standing on a range, any advice or help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys i need some help I'm from Michigan the Detroit area my question is would anyone know where i could get some training on my ar15 for a beginner? I know how to go to the range and shoot but i know theres more to self defense then standing on a range, any advice or help would be appreciated.
View Quote

2 years ago I was brand new and looking for the same thing.  Here in NY, there isn't much for tactical training like there is down south in free America.  I went to youtube for help and was not dissappointed.  Here's a link to a playlist I made that covers everything from basic rifle handling up to advanced room clearing and beyond.  Watch these videos, practice based on their instruction, repeat.  Dry fire as much as possible; it's how you really get good.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLER4Krk0U4gPKx7MFm3GIikKiQO6AnaT

There are a number of really awesome instructors that have put a ton of lessons and drills online.  Simply searching their name can bring up some awesome online instruction.  Here are a few:

Kyle Lamb, company is VTAC (also his book "green eyes, black rifles" is a fantastic instructional on the AR and training)
Chris Costa
Travis Haley- Haley Strategic is the company
Frank Proctor
Kyle Defoor

ETA:  I know you're looking for more formal training, but I think there's a lot to be said about the wealth of free online resources and home dry fire.  Rather than drop $500 on training at the beginning, teach yourself, learn your gun, and get some competency.  Having a solid foundation will allow you to get a lot more out of formal classes and you'll get a better return on your investment.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey thanks man I appreciate it
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I would check your local Hometown Forum Michigan http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_8/39_Michigan.html
And ask for local carbine class.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top