Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2016 4:04:43 PM EDT
(assuming R handed shooter re operating charging handle and reloading)

I am thinking on installing side chargers.  I need more elevation on the comb to use standard height sights and co-witness mounts etc and I am determined to run a reciprocating side charger.
Question is, which side?  

I know that it is more tactical to keep the weapon sorta aimed at the target and operate the CH w the L hand w the R hand still on the PG.  Of course w an otherwise normal AR one has to break his cheek weld and often shift the gun slightly to be able to pull the CH all the way back, particularly if running the stock very short.

So, w a side charger, it seems like it would not be particularly un-tactical to keep your cheek weld and a stable sight picture by leaving ones L hand on the forearm and to reload/charge w the R hand.  

I guess the retort might be that loading/charging w the strong hand takes you off the trigger, but I don't understand what is the big deal since the gun is not loaded anyway and the gun is very unstable when welded by only one hand on the pistol grip, particularly if it is laden w a suppressor, optics,  lights etc.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
User preference.

From playing with my SCAR, I found I prefer handle on the left side.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Left is better.  Keeps your shooting hand on the grip
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm aware of that thought, but I do not understand the argument behind it. I mean insofar as that statement goes I would say it's better to have your hand on the guns and not in a very abstract sense but by having your firing hand on the grip you are giving something up also. That is you are giving up the stability that the weapon would have if you'd rather had it trapped between your support hand and your shoulder.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 1:36:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

expirimented a bit.  what I found is that reloading w/ the off hand is faster because you can reach for new mag while dropping the empty to the ground w/ the trigger finger.   A righty w/ the new mag can just hit the paddle w/ his thumb or snatch the CH w/ the R hand to re-chamber.  It does feel more efficient, whether you are poiting the muzzle down range or reloading behind cover.  

As for a side charger, if one was either charging the gun after putting in the mag (like on an AK) or just slapping the handle a bit to let it fly forward off the bolt catch, it would make more sense for it to be done w/ the off hand w/ the CH on the same side as the off hand so you can shoot faster w/ the firing hand, and so you don't have to do that weird reach under move that right handed AK shooters have to do.

I am kind of disappointed becasue I am lefty and was thinking about doing a left hand upper build out w/ a CH on the Left (ejection) side so that I would eat less gas while shooting suppressed, but i also want a side charger and woudl not want to mill a groove in the R side of the upper for use w/ my off hand.  Well, I guess it will still be an improvement having a LH carrier that vents to the left out of the little holes and has a larger hole on the left for hte ejection port.

Thx guys.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I only use a side-charged bolt on match rifles.  Typically because I use fully adjustable stock, so a regular charging handle isn't an option.

It doesn't really matter, it's not for speed.  It's just to reload or unload.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top