Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2016 4:55:27 PM EDT
I recently bought the LWRC M6 A2 and I am looking for a .22 semi rifle with similar function and feel. Is the M+P15-22 a good rifle to pick up as a training rifle and for cheap target shooting? I would love for my grandsons to go target shooting with me shooting a rifle similar to grandpas. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I know what you're saying; I was looking for something very similar not too long ago to shoot a lot and save money.  Tried some .22 rifle and .22 conversion kits.  

In my honest opinion, .22 training rifles are overrated.  Too much is changed to be an effective supplement; your muscle memory will adjust to the lighter recoil, quieter crack, shorter bolt travel, etc.  For training purposes you're far better off just doing dry fire drills in your living room.  It's free, totally safe, and when done correctly will dramatically improve your shooting ability.

If you're really set on a range toy to shoot cheap and for your grandkids to shoot with you, then I'd say go for it.  If price is an issue, you could also just get the .22 coversion kit and mags to swap out in your existing rifle.  I think they usually run around $100.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The .22 conversion kits are the way to go, if you want it to have all the same accessories, feel of the firearm, etc.  The downsides: accuracy may be lacking since the barrel will have a larger bore than a true .22, point of impact will change from what your optics are set to, and training scars could develop from the difference.  

If just so your grandkid(s) can shoot with you I would go with a separate rifle, and the M&P-22 is a good choice from what I have read.  When they grow up they can graduate to the LWRC.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the idea of purchasing another rifle for the grandsons, that way they can call it their own and be more inclined to practice.  Ruger 10/22's can't be beat and are a staple for any marksman.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Gas Blowback Airsoft rifle

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GKKvIY2MsA[/youtube]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top