Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2016 4:53:29 PM EDT
I am struggling with making up mind regarding my current SHTF build and whether I should go with a 1/3 or absolute cowitness.

I get the differences and feel like I have as good of an understanding as one could have not being able to shoulder one of each...which would obviously be the best solution.

I'll be running Rainier BUIS with an Aimpoint T2 on a flat top AR platform (16") and a UBR stock. If I were not running a micro dot I would likely just stick with Absolute however, the smaller field of view in a micro has me leaning toward lower 1/3.  

Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:31:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyF] [#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I've shot with the same type of irons for a long time,so an absolute cowitness on an Aimpoint an easy progression for me. The first mount I bought was a lower 1/3. I felt I was reaching from my normal cheek weld to get aligned with the reticle. All my red dots are absolute now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I enjoy my mbus pros and aimpoint micro on larue mount. I get the lower 1/3, but just not for me
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Good points regarding the likely hood of failure with quality equipment.

What about micro vs "full sized" red dots? In your opinion does a micro dot lend itself to a less busy sight picture with a 1/3 co witness set up over absolute?
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 3:42:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I've don't even notice the mechanical sights as I'm concentrating on dot placement. I have had one power failure while firing and transition to mechanicals was instant with a true co-witness setup. I use a cut down carry handle fixed rear sight with an Aimpoint and a standard FSB.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#6]
It doesn't matter.

I use absolute co-witness simply because I leave the rear sight down and want the exact same cheek weld shooting the red dot that I use with my irons.

The important thing to remember is that the irons and red dot are separate sighting systems, use one or the other, but don't waste any time lining the red dot up on top of the front sight post. It's not needed, the dot is where the bullet is going to hit............... period.

For precision work with a red dot turn the illumination down so you can barely see the dot. This allows for the smallest possible aiming dot. Pay attention to the target, not the dot. The dot will be visible without looking directly at it.

Red dots are the fastest short range shooting system currently available. The main reason (US Armed Forces) use lower 1/3 is so the rear sight can stay up and ready for use. If the red dot dies in the middle of a fire fight they can immediately transition to the irons. No time is wasted flipping the rear sight up.

1.5" centerline height is the nominal absolute co-witness height, lower 1/3 places the dot approximately 1.65" above the rail. The difference is relatively small.

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 4:29:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I find lower 1/3 a little harder to use irons with T1, H1, T2, etc. Due to the smaller window it's like lower 1/4. I'm a same plane rear, absolute cowitness, and 1.40" scope height guy. I thing Stoner got it right long ago on sight height. I also prefer folding front and rear to keep the sight picture clean.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 for absolute.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By akafreeheelbillie:
I am struggling with making up mind regarding my current SHTF build and whether I should go with a 1/3 or absolute cowitness.

I get the differences and feel like I have as good of an understanding as one could have not being able to shoulder one of each...which would obviously be the best solution.

I'll be running Rainier BUIS with an Aimpoint T2 on a flat top AR platform (16") and a UBR stock. If I were not running a micro dot I would likely just stick with Absolute however, the smaller field of view in a micro has me leaning toward lower 1/3.

Any suggestions?
View Quote
Start with your iron sights. look through the sights with your traditional sight picture (pay attention to your neck and shoulder muscles/tension) then do the "shooting out of the notch" drill (sight picture) where your front sight post is on top of the rear ghost ring (again pay attention to your neck and shoulder muscles/tension). That is pretty much the difference between the 1/3 and absolute cowitness heights. I personally prefer the 1/3 because it is less strain on my neck/shoulders and more of a natural shooting stance as opposed to hunched over.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nate19:
+1 for absolute.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top