Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2015 11:20:17 AM EDT
when I shoot from the standing position, the recoil drives the rifle about 3-5 inches to the left (at 25 yds) before it returns to the original point of aim (and I know my natural point of aim is correct)? What am I doing wrong? Will there always be some shift to the left or does something need to be corrected? or is it just a matter of practice?
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you saying the rounds are impacting 3" to the left @25 yards, or that recoil is making the sight picture shift...rounds still impacting on target?
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you need to work on your natural point of aim.

Get in position, establish a sight picture, then close your eyes.  Take a breath, hold it for a couple of seconds, release it, then open your eyes and check your sight picture.

I'm betting it will be shifted left.

That, or you are anticipating recoil and pushing your right shoulder forward as you fire.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 4:53:55 AM EDT
[#3]
the rounds are landing where they should, but in an off handed shooting position, when I shoot, the recoil drives the gun left
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 4:57:04 AM EDT
[#4]
and I was wondering how to better control this or if I am doing anything wrong. My natural point of aim is fine

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
What is your non-shooting hand's grip?  Thumb over, on side, mag-well, traditional under forearm?  Are you applying any forward tension with this arm?  Is it bent, straight, out to side, under forearm?

Are you "riding" the sight picture through the whole 3" arc and seeing it come back onto the target?  Does it settle on target or overshoot it?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe the muzzle device is jacked up and compensating in the wrong direction?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top