Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2015 7:15:08 PM EDT
So for the past few years as a hobby I practice fast paced "dynamic style" of shooting and I am pretty fast and accurate. I spend all this time and money on ammo I think its time to compete. On a shot timer with an ar I can shoot around 700 rounds per minute with pretty clean A zone hits at 15 yards. I can double and tripple tap a 14 inch 200 yard gong almost every time. I love this sport it is my passion so what kind of competition would I do. I dont have a pistol yet and I dont have a shotgun. But I can run an ar-15 like no other.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 1:46:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Anybody?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:26:28 AM EDT
[#2]
The closest thing you could do is three-gun or the emerging two-gun competition.
Of course, you stated that you don't have a pistol or shotgun.

Outside of that, some ranges/clubs have defensive carbine clubs that do stuff.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I can get a pistol. 2 gun would be good.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So for the past few years as a hobby I practice fast paced "dynamic style" of shooting and I am pretty fast and accurate. I spend all this time and money on ammo I think its time to compete. On a shot timer with an ar I can shoot around 700 rounds per minute with pretty clean A zone hits at 15 yards. I can double and tripple tap a 14 inch 200 yard gong almost every time. I love this sport it is my passion so what kind of competition would I do. I dont have a pistol yet and I dont have a shotgun. But I can run an ar-15 like no other.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Best things i can tell you to point you in the right direction on competing:

1.  Look for a local club or clubs and see what kind of competitions they run.  2gun, 3gun, USPSA, IDPA, Steel...you'll be locked into whatever the local scene is doing.  You can always travel outside the local area but that can get expensive quickly.  
2.  When you find out what the locals are doing, go watch or compete with them and have at it.  Leave your ego at the door though.  While you may have gotten pretty good (or average, or a little above average, who knows maybe you're the next Daniel Horner), there's a lot to the "game" that you won't get running dynamic drills by yourself.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nex time I go out I will prove it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#7]
700rds per minute is 11.6 shots a second (if my math is right) , you are doing that semi on a A zone? average Pro shooter 5 shots a second maybe 6 max.

Come over to NC perfect match for you:
TRC 2gun match
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
700rds per minute is 11.6 shots a second (if my math is right) , you are doing that semi on a A zone? average Pro shooter 5 shots a second maybe 6 max.
TRC 2gun match
View Quote

I have to agree here - a good quality hammer is 0.2 seconds or less (5 rounds/second), and even Jerry Miculek (one of the fastest in the world) shoots 0.12 or 0.13 splits (8 rounds/second), and that's if he's pulling as fast as he can.

Before you start competing, I would personally recommend some good quality training in a top notch week-long carbine course like the Gunsite 223 course (or similar national level school).  No matter what your level of experience they will push you to your limit with drills at every distance, as well as indoor and outdoor live fire simulators.  Also the instructors and other students will push you to shoot faster and more accurately all around, and you'll learn that you probably "still have quite a bit to learn".  Honestly I thought I was a good shot and knew quite a bit until I attended Gunsite and realized I have a whole bunch of stuff that I need to learn and master, and also that I have a whole bunch of bad habits I need to "unlearn".  It was great, but also humbling to meet individual instructors who had shot over a million rounds each.

Alternately competing in a larger 2-gun or 3-gun match will give you a good indication of where you stand.  I've done some of this as well and learned a bit each time.  My only complaint is that unlike a structured course, you don't get a lot of direct feedback as to what you may be doing right/wrong.  So if you start shooting competitively but find you are not at the top of the heap, it can take much longer to get things right. That's why I'm a fan of an immersive course, followed by several months of focused practice to reinforce the lessons learned, accented by competition.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Get into some 3 gun competitions and smash!  You would get the opportunity to fine tune your skills.  You'd be able to meet some other people that are just as interested in shooting as you are, and you might pick up a few more tricks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#11]
In for the unedited video of 700 rpm with a semi auto...

But yeah, buy a pistol and find a 2 gun match or since you are CAG status maybe this...

Did I do this right? 23.3 mag changes for 700 rpm or are we just extrapolating that since we can shoot 1 mag super fast (like a shotgun that's just one long burst?) we can actually shoot that many rounds in a minute.....
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Jerry Michulek troll account?

Though he probably doesn't shoot that fast either.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Jerry Michulek troll account?

Though he probably doesn't shoot that fast either.
View Quote

Probably not, since its impossible.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't wait.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I can't wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't wait.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't wait.

Well it's been 4 months and he hasn't "been out" yet to prove it. It's amazing he reached this skill level by shooting les than 3 times per year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top